Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Go boobies, go!!

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm so tired of seeing posts or articles about breast feeding issues or help on trouble shooting... Not to say I'm not grateful, but I want to year about your breast feeding success / fun stories! I'm currently feeding my 9 mo. old DD and most likely second and last baby, so I'm enjoying every moment of it! She's into "acrobatics" right now, what are your stories? What did you have to overcome (if anything) to successfully nurse you baby? What are your best memories or your favorite things about nursing? What do you wish non-nursing moms knew that you think is potentially idea changing information? I love the closeness and beauty of it all... It's been such a special time for me (with both kids) and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I worked through overactive letdown, refusal to nurse and a NICU stay. Got to the point where I could nurse while eating with chopsticks!

But I think the idea-changing information has to be imparted long before childbirth. Info on breastfeeding needs to be part of sex ed. Care and feeding of infants should be the first priority for a mom-to-be. Not nursery decor. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM
At my baby shower with my first, over 12 years ago now, my mom gave me a big case of lactose-free formula, in case I had "problems like she did". After the baby was born, the LCs asked me how long I planned to breastfeed and, fearing the failure my mom planned for me, I said I "didn't know, maybe 6 months, and probably formula, too". I made it to 15 months with at baby! Never needed that formula from my mom. The next two babies were nursed to 24 months each and my fourth nursling just turned 3 years old on Aug 3; next month I think I hit 100 total months of breastfeeding.

I overcame poor family support, horrible advice from doctors, oversupply, clogged ducts, and thrush. I can barely believe how well I've done. I will say that the thing I think that tipped the scales for me was going to my hospital's breastfeeding moms support group. They met 3 days a week, and I went 3 days a week, for almost 6 months. My best friends in the world I met at that group. Being surrounded and supported so strongly in an environment like that can be pretty empowering. Anytime a mom had some problem, one of the LCs would say, "Hey, Jennifer. Stacy here is having that same problem you did last month. When she's done crying and finishes her juice, come over and tell her what helped you. Let's teach her some new tricks."

I do wish that breastfeeding was stressed as more of a health issue than a personal choice, like stroller patterns. It's hard to look at a newborn and realize that any choice we make today has the power to affect their health over their entire life, but breastfeeding is one of those choices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I overcame tongue tie with my first born. I didn't even know that's what the problem was at the time. I hand expressed milk into a large cup (circle k or 7/11 type reusable type cup) for 6 WEEKS! My hand got lots of exercise from doing that too. I tried getting my ds to latch every couple of days and he eventually did at 6 weeks. He never did get it clipped and had a lot of speech problems and still does at 17 years old.
I bf him until what I thought was him weaning at 11 months. It really was because af came back and my milk changed.
Kassi12
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Kaiden and I have been BFing for 22mo and have had thrush a few times but besides that its been awesome! I am very thankful! We are still going strong :)

My Monkey was born on 9-22-10

toddler boy*Kaiden Anthony*

MamaDV1012
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Poor latch and tongue-tie here too.  We had his tongue clipped too which helped a lot but still gets a lazy latch sometimes.  It was 2 months of sore nipples in the beginning.  It was work, but I was determined to be successful this time.  WIth my first I couldn't pump and stopped BF when I went back to work.  This time pumping was a breeze with the RIGHT pump, the pump really does make a difference.  I think it is important to put all you have into the journey.  My DD has asthma and had frequent respiratory infections.  DS on the other hand has only had one ear infection at 10 months old.  We all had the stomach bug once except for my DS.  I attribute my DS's awesome health to BF even though he is in daycare full-time he is well. 

mommyakabooby
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I've successfully breastfed 4 kids. still nusing my 32 month old. The only obsticles I had to face were with my 3rd child. only because I had to go back to work full time when she was only 2 months old. but I religiously pumped 5 times a day, every day till she was 13 months old. somes days I didn't pump enough milk, but I told her teachers they could give her formula ONLY if there was not enough breastmilk. I think the reason I was still successful was because I was so devoted to breastfeeding. I never gave her a bottle, even though she would take one, and would even drink formula. she never got either from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I have successfully breastfed my four children and was a live milk donor for another mother's baby. I have successfully nourished a total of five children with breastmilk.. :o)

Issues I have nursed through.. nursing after c-section, over active letdown, plugged ducts, mastitis, nursing during pregnancy, tandem nursing, pumping, being a live milk donor, being a live milk donor while tandem nursing, nursing three, nursing with disabilities, and more.

Some of what I love most about nursing.. it is optimal in nutrition, immunities, and bonding (for us!) While this is not the experience for all, for us there was never anything sweeter than mama and baby snuggling up, looking into each others' eyes, holding hands, mama kissing precious baby feet while baby filled its tummy with warm, delicious, healthy mama's milk! In my family, Mothering begins At the Breast!

I wish non-nursing mothers did not view Breastfeeding as a choice, but rather as a Given; that artificial baby milk was only a 'worst case scenario', after all other options had been exhausted.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)