Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Did you keep breastfeeding when they got teeth?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM
  • 54 Replies

So it seems as if my 6 month old may be cutting her first tooth. Not completly sure she's been drooling like crazy, and has a bump on her gums, and loves to chew on fingers and toys but well who know right? Anyway my question is did any of you keep breastfeeding during teething and after they had teeth? How'd it work out? How did you handel bitting? My husband tells me it would be okay if I decided to wean when she got teeth and I'm doing an amazing job breast feeding right now. I don't want to give it up yet, I really want to do it till she's a year old (hubby is supportive of whatever choice i make) Any tips or advice ya'll could offer would be great!

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmcgowan2135
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Yup I did through teething and after he had teeth.  I would get the occassional bite if he wasn't really that hungry and was just playing around so I made sure to only feed him if I knew he was truly hungry.  When he bit, I would smoosh his face into my boob and he would come off quickly.  Good luck!

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
4 moms liked this

Most moms continue breastfeeding during and after teething.

Worse case scenario baby bites mom and you teach nursing manners by removing the child from the breast telling them no biting that hurts mommy and ending the nursing session. They can try again in a little wihle.

Best case scenario baby doesn't bite and nursing continues as before.

Offer pain relieving techniques to your teething child prior to nursing. frozen breastmilk in a mesh teether, teething tablets, cold/frozen wash cloth to chew on etc. This way its not as uncomfortable for baby.

And yes i'm still nursing my 2yr9mo old with a full mouth of teeth. And when my 4 mo old starts cutting teeth I will continue.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
DD has two teeth and four top teeth coming in.
she's almost 11mo. Still bf. I think its normal to wonder and worry. So far no intentional bites. One nibble while crying my fault ..never put boob in mouth while upset
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

yes i did

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
You are nursing three children! Awesome ...devotion. kuddos mama

Quoting melindabelcher:

Worse case scenario baby bites mom and you teach nursing manners by removing the child from the breast telling them no biting that hurts mommy and ending the nursing session. They can try again in a little wihle.

Best case scenario baby doesn't bit and nursing continues as before.

Offer pain relieving techniques to your teething child prior to nursing. frozen breastmilk in a mesh teether, teething tablets, cold/frozen wash cloth to chew on etc. This way its not as uncomfortable for baby.

And yes i'm still nursing my 2yr9mo old with a full mouth of teeth. And when my 4 mo old starts cutting teeth I will continue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Some teething babies will "bite" before teeth come in, I always gave DD a cold teething ring to chew on before nursing to numb her gums first. Helped alot.
Btw, she self weaned at 2 yrs with a mouth full of teeth. My best advice is when lo bites press their face into your breast quickly (forces them to let go) and them say "No" forcefully, set lo down for a couple min, and then start over.
Teaches them that biting equals food being taken away.....no one wants that. Also look for clues that lo is done nursing and just starting to "play" prime biting time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM

lolz. Only two!! :)

DD1 is 2yr9mo

DD2 is 4mo

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Quoting melindabelcher:

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh LOL..still awesome. I always wanted to.

Quoting melindabelcher:

lolz. Only two!! :)

DD1 is 2yr9mo

DD2 is 4mo

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Ds Barry bit me a few times. He found out that hurts mommy and we weren't having it. So far my 4 mo old has but me once. But no teeth yet. I was pretty startled and scared her a bit. It wasn't too painful just caught me off guard. She hasn't bit me again. She's teething pretty hard right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryLu86
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM
This! And I'm still nursing my 14 month old :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Best case scenario baby doesn't bite and nursing continues as before.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)