Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Possible mastits :( need advice. **update: new question**

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I'm pretty sure I have mastits for the first time. Never had it with ds1 but I fit most of the symptoms. :( I havent taken my temperature yet but I'm pretty sure I gots a fever. So my question is... Since my midwife's office isn't open till Monday, is there anything I can take/do for it besides nurse and hot/cold compress until then or should I just call up the hospital since I'm 10d pp and see if I can see an OB/midwife on call? I'm not in 'omg I wanna cut off my boobs' pain. But I also don't want it to get that far.

per my own reply below i called the physician on call, happened to be my midwife, and got a perscription for an antibiotic.  while i was at the pharmacy i got som gentian violet.  i went to gnc to look into some probiotics but they are 40$+.  :(  is there anywhere to get probiotics cheeper?  or some other way i can try to avoid thrush?

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitty8199
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I've been told just to keep nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Infection needs antibiotics id call the on call
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
If you can get it cleared quickly with frequent nursing, you might be able to avoid antibiotics. Keep doing what you're doing and if it gets worse, go in to the hospital.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Infection needs antibiotics id call the on call
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Thanks ladies. I called the physician on call (just so happened to be my midwife) she said since my temp is up (100.9) that she is calling me in antibiotics. Figure I might as well get some gentian violet and probiotics as well just in case. Can both be gotten at cvs or do I need to go to a specialty store?
2ninos4me
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM
I had it with ds2 when he was less than 6 months old and I had to curl up in a ball from the pain :( I got antibiotics and they worked fine :) try to nurse the baby from both sides otherwise ur boobs will end up being uneven like mine :( they are like this now O.o ... :( the difference is soooo obvious and it has affected my self steem so bad :( I'm not trying to scare u am just trying to have u not make the same mistake I made . I followed the advice of wrong ppl :( my ds2 is 11 months old today and I still nurse him without no problems but I feel embarrased when I'm gonna nurse him from the right boob cuz that's the smallest one and my boobs are like an a cup and a c cup :( good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM
You should be able to get the GV there. I'm not sure about the probiotics. Good thinking on that!
Have you tried dangle nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Just fyi, that was most likely going to happen regardless. Mine have been uneven like that since pregnancy and no amount of nursing on the smaller side made any difference.

Quoting 2ninos4me:

I had it with ds2 when he was less than 6 months old and I had to curl up in a ball from the pain :( I got antibiotics and they worked fine :) try to nurse the baby from both sides otherwise ur boobs will end up being uneven like mine :( they are like this now O.o ... :( the difference is soooo obvious and it has affected my self steem so bad :( I'm not trying to scare u am just trying to have u not make the same mistake I made . I followed the advice of wrong ppl :( my ds2 is 11 months old today and I still nurse him without no problems but I feel embarrased when I'm gonna nurse him from the right boob cuz that's the smallest one and my boobs are like an a cup and a c cup :( good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Thanks for the warning. I already suffered uneven boobs from ds1 because of using a shield on the left. I've got some painful nursers. I was about 2 sizes bigger on right than left. I don't mind much though. Atleast I'm able to nurse. :)

Quoting 2ninos4me:

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM
I have not tried that yet. It sorta scares me. He's got a tt and it hurts to nurse even without mastitis. That's being addressed monday. However I was considering pumping that side to empty. Is that a terrible idea?

Quoting aehanrahan:

You should be able to get the GV there. I'm not sure about the probiotics. Good thinking on that!
Have you tried dangle nursing?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Try the dangle nursing! It uses gravity to help clear the clog/infection.
Pumping after nursing to empty the breast is a great idea. The goal is to keep the breast as empty as possible. The only thing is you will probably be dealing with major oversupply after you clear it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN