Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to Breastfeeding... Any advice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey everyone!

I have never breast fed a child before. I have two other daughters but felt like breastfeeding wasnt an option for different issues. I would like the oppurtunity to breast feed this baby. I will be 35 weeks pregnant on Wednesday, cant take classes, so Im very new to this. I am scared as well.

Any advice would be very nice! (:

Thanks for your time!!! <3

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Replies (11-15):
AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Look up the la leche league group near you. Free support meetings, and help from leaders. It's easier if you have support in your decision to provide your child with the best. Lots of skin to skin contact will help your milk come in. in those early Weeks, don't give into a bottle (even if it's a bm bottle), because it can cause a flow/nipple preference. Instead, if needed, spoon or syringe feed. And ask for help whenever you're frustrated or concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Commit to 6 weeks. Know that babies eat all the time and will make you think they're starving - but you ONLY need to look at diapers (1 per day of life, so 1 on the first day, 2 on the second, and then 5-6 wets a day) to make sure that baby is getting enough. It can take time to perfect the latch and if there's nipple pain, it's usually a latch issue.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Don't be scared. Most likely the worst that will happen is your nipples will bleed. Mine did. They cracked, bled and partially healed in this vicious cycle for the first two weeks. Then the bleeding stopped and I healed perfectly in two days. It hurts a lot, but that first week was the worst. Before your milk comes in, baby doesn't get much, so your boobs shouldn't hurt, just the nipples. Try different nursing positions in the hospital, where there's people to help you. I got yelled at in the hospital because they told me I was nursing him too much. He spent practically the whole two days sleeping, so I was able to move him around and nurse him sitting up, laying down, holding him in different positions... Before he was hungry hungry and my milk came in. One piece of advice, don't have a bajillion people in your room with you. Even if you're comfortable with them seeing your boobs, you might not be comfortable with them seeing you cry when it's hard. That's why I was only able to last a few months breastfeeding my first little one. I started out with formula in the hospital and couldnt get myself to produce enough. Look up pictures and instructions for different positions. Show them to your partner so that they can help you.
sleepymommy87
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Like all the PPs, DON'T GIVE UP! That's my biggest piece of advice.

Don't have this fairies and bubbles and rainbows idea of breastfeeding and that it's going to be so natural and beautiful and wonderful from the first minute. It's not. It's going to be hard, it's going to be awkward, it's going to be uncomfortable. It will hurt, it will be exhausting, and for a month or two it won't be fun. Your boobs will be sore, your nipples will feel like your baby is breaking them to the point of no return and you might cry and want to give up at times... but don't give up. 

Seriously, it gets SOOOOO much easier! Don't supplement unless it's medically necessary, drink lots of water, get as much sleep as you can, and I personally would recommend co sleeping. I was against co sleeping at first but I did a lot of research on it and was surprised by the many benefits... also as soon as I had my baby I realized I couldn't possibly sleep without her next to me. It makes breastfeeding so easy and it helped keep my supply up during the crazy growth spurts in the beginning. 

Don't feel intimidated, don't feel stupid, and if you need help ASK. It's an amazing bond that I would not trade for the world and I am so glad my husband talked me out of quitting when I was at my wit's end when my dd was 2 months old.

She's now almost 7 months old and breastfeeding is the second most amazing thing I've ever done, with the first being the birth of my child. We breastfeeding veterans are here for you with any questions you may have and will support you in your journery. :)

SummerDreams
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 4:42 AM

My best advice is to make sure you get to breastfeed your baby as soon as possible after the delivery.    My oldest and youngest babies were the easiest for me to establish nursing with, and I really feel this was because I was able to nurse them within the hour after their births.

My middle child was much more difficult as the nurses wouldn't let me get her out of the warming bed because she was one-tenth of a degree colder than they liked.    She was in the bed for about 3 hours, and by the time they let me have her back, she was very sleepy.    It took me about 3 weeks to get her latch and stuff worked out.

Other than that, highly recommend getting a breastfeeding book to keep with you at home.   It helps to have pictures of what a properly latched on baby looks like, as well as having tips for all possible problems.  Lactation consultants are great but not always available. :) 

Oh, also -- Boppy, drinking cup with a straw, and the television remote are all your friends.    Breastfeeding is relaxing, but also ties up your hands so you'll want the straw and the remote to make your life easier.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)