Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't pump much..

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

I tried pumpimg today to give LO milk in a bottle. Well it didn't go well. I only got 1oz between both breast. I was shocked since my LO gets so much at my breast. I even leak alot. How is it that i only got a bit of milk. Should i keep trying or just give LO breast exclusively. I want to intruduce a bottle so my husband can help me with feedings at night. Im so exhausted. My Lo is 2 weeks old and wakes up every 2 hrs to nurse. Im so tired the next day. I have to take care of my 2 kids plus my newborn. Any advise?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Many mothers don't respond well to a pump, but 1 ounce is considered a normal amount. Pumps just aren't as good as a baby!

The problem with pumping and having your husband bottle feed is that you will need to be awake pumping while he feeds that bottle to maintain your supply. (especially in this critical supply establishing time frame, you might be able to get away with sleeping through a feeding in a couple of months) Have hubby do everything else if he wants to be helpful, bottle feeding to "help" is not helpful at all and actually creates more work for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adorablenessx
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
First massage your breast apply a hot pack or hot shower for 5 mins take a deep breath it's normal to pump an ounce or two if you are ebf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorsmommy08
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I agree with what Larissalarie says. Also, giving a bottle this early could cause nipple confusion/flow preference. You really shouldn't give bottles before 4-6 weeks. And even then, mom should be gone(remembering to pump so supply keeps up) and caregiver needs to remember to give low amounts in a slow flow bottle.

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
**HUGS** I totally relate to the poor sleep at night!!! :( My 5 month old was up soooo much last night!!! I have an almost 5yr old and a 2.5yr old! Everything not necessary for life gets pushed to the back burner. Crockpot meals, take out, sandwiches etc.
You can try dh giving baby that ounce at night while you pump. If it works and you can get more sleep that way then great. It never worked for us. I hated getting up to pump I found it was much easier to just latch baby nurse and be done.

ETA any sign of nipple confusion and bottles go until baby is a little older
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Normal output at the pump is half an ounce to two ounces TOTAL for both sides. You're well within that range.

Just give the breast, really. Save pumping for when you will be away. In the meantime, you drop EVERYTHING that's not related to your continued breathing and that of the children. You're not concerned about Dad's breathing right now... he can take care of that himself. **grin** And should be handling all "older kid" duties when he's home.

You CAN have him give bottles at night... but you have to get up and pump when those bottles are given. So it really doesnt save you anything.

Survival tips: Lots of DVD parties in your room or wherever you have a player and a place to plop. Takeout. Plastic forks and paper plates. No worrying about cleaning unless it's a health hazard. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Where us baby sleeping? Can you bring him in bed with you do that you don't need to get up during the night to feed him? This really helped me to get the most sleep at night.

At only 2 weeks old you are still establishing your supply and baby is still learning to breastfeed. It is best to avoid bottles and pumping until 4-6 weeks. Even then you must pump whenever dad gives a bottle, so it is really not a break at all.

Hang in there, it will get easier!
betsy9023
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I was thinking in doing that. But I don't want him getting use to sleeping with me. But I did yesterday and found it much easier.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Where us baby sleeping? Can you bring him in bed with you do that you don't need to get up during the night to feed him? This really helped me to get the most sleep at night.

At only 2 weeks old you are still establishing your supply and baby is still learning to breastfeed. It is best to avoid bottles and pumping until 4-6 weeks. Even then you must pump whenever dad gives a bottle, so it is really not a break at all.

Hang in there, it will get easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmamaisback
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Use herbs. They are the only thing to increase my milk supply. You want to use at least two that increase production. I'm using a tea called Breastea and it's got a few different herbs in it. I have been drinking it awhile and see my milk supply increase quite a bit. You might want to try it out. You can get it online at breastea.com and make sure to use daily.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

co-sleeping is so helpful for both moms rest and baby.  SLeeping in the same room actually beneficial in many ways.  Look up sidecarring a crib and see if that would be ok with you!

purvislets
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I never responded well to a pump.  To me, 1 ounce between both breasts in a single session would be fantastic!  I had to save up for a week to just get 2 whole ounces from both breasts pumping multiple times per day.  Our bodies are meant to respond to babies, not to machines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)