Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

formula, bfing, and work?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
  • 9 Replies
I want to start work but i am going through temp services and i know that if i cause any more of a hassle then they are willing to deal with, they (the temp) job will/could fire me. I know by law they can't because of pumping but we all know that employers will find there ways around the laws. So my question is would i be able to continue bf if im offering formula while im away and maybe once i get a handle on the job and hours, i then could figure out a good way to pump on breaks? So ideally i would be going about 9 to 10 hours without pumping while im working and during transportation. My dd is now 8 months and was only just introduced to formula a few days ago, just to see how she would take it. She did fine with it. I understand i can give her my milk while im away instead of formula but i have been doing the military thing for a while now and i know how much it stresses me out to try to make enough while im away from her. I would like to lose some of this stress and hopefully be able to continue feeding her while im at home from work.

My other concern is... Once we start the formula on a regular basis how do we figure out how much formula she needs while im away and how will i know if my supply dropped to much to be efficient in bfing her while i am with her? .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
adorablenessx
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM
To measure a good amount pump and measure that also you can still breast feed my lo gets both breast and formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louise1212
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Do you make enough still with formula? And how can you measure what you get from the pump because i will get the same amount whether its been 3 hours or 9 hours. And if i pump every couple hours its still varies. So im not sure how to keep track when i pump.

Quoting adorablenessx:

To measure a good amount pump and measure that also you can still breast feed my lo gets both breast and formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes you can formula feed at work and breastfeed when home. The key is to keep the quantities of formula small just to tide her over and then nurse plenty when together. You still follow the ounce an hour rule lime you would with breastmilk, it's just extra super important that you don't overfeed to keep her nursing plenty when you're home. So for 8-9 hours you still aim for three 3 (4 max) ounce bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XMaybebabyX
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Pumping does not tell you how much he baby can get from a nursing session. Babies are much more efficient than any pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM
A pump is no indication of how much you should bottle feed baby. Most women don't respond well to pumps and baby can get far more. Other women can easily sit down and pump 10 ounces, which would obviously be far to much.
Pump output never indicates anything except how will you respond to a machine!

Quoting louise1212:

Do you make enough still with formula? And how can you measure what you get from the pump because i will get the same amount whether its been 3 hours or 9 hours. And if i pump every couple hours its still varies. So im not sure how to keep track when i pump.

Quoting adorablenessx:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Yes. You could never pump at all at work and nurse just fine while home. The key is to never offer more than 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of the formula, no feedings in the two hours before you come home and never give a bottle when you're home.

No matter what you put in it, bottle = famine, breast = feast.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quoting adorablenessx:

Pumping tells you NOTHING of value except how well you respond to the pump. I know you mean well but it's a misconception that pumping tells you a good amount. Our primary task in this group is to correct misinformation.

cabsmom10
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM
My almost 8th month old gets formula sometimes while I'm working (I am a preschool teacher at a daycare...he goes to also). When he does get formula, he gets between 2-4 oz. The reason he gets formula occasionally is when someone can't break me at the time he eats or if I can't leave the room. I 75% bf, so it works out ok! We have been doing this since Declan was 6 weeks old. I 100% nurse at home and he has no bottle over breast preference! Good luck, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
The biggest issue will be your level of comfort. You might get really engorged and uncomfortable if you go w/o pumping all day.

I would imagine you'll at least get a lunch break. You should plan to pump then.

Another thing you can do is to pump every morning, seven days a week, when you first get up. For that first feeding of the morning nurse on one side and pump the other (or nurse both sides and double pump about an hour later). That will give you a bit if a stash, and you can make up any differences with formula.

Pumping at least once during lunch, and/or pumping first thing in the morning can be done with out stress or pressure to have enough, knowing you'll have formula for the difference.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)