Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Got into a bad habit..

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 13 Replies
I started giving my 10 month old a bottle at bedtime. He is just so hard to get to bed, I can get him to sleep but when I try to lay him down in his crib, he wakes up and loses his mind. So I found letting him fall asleep with a bottle got him asleep in 10 minutes.
Now he won't go to sleep any other way -_- I tried to just nurse him to sleep tonight but he kept pushing away, obviously wanting his bottle.
So of course I caved and gave him one.
I know it's not good for his teeth and I don't like him refusing to nurse, I was hoping to go a lot longer with him.
He doesn't nurse much during the day anymore either. I offer several times and he will have one good nursing session in the morning then really only 3ish 2-3 minute "snacks" the rest of the day. I always offer before solids but he just squirms around and isn't interested :/

Any advice, tips?? Or should I just keep going with the flow?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM

His breastmilk needs to be his main source in his diet till he is a year, so solids will have to go and you will have to out stubburn him till he starts nuring again. 

sarah4gandh
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

This is a time when you need to step up and be a firm mommy. Bottles before bed a terrible for teeth and for mouth structure. You have to deal wth him being fussy and not give him a bottle. I guarantee that it will get better in just a few nights if you take away the bottle and be firm, only offering the breast. A lot of babies wake up when you put them in the crib. My dd still does and shes 15 months. All you have to do is nurse him to sleep, put hime in his crib. If he wakes up, nurse again then put him in his crib. Repeat until baby falls asleep and stays asleep. You have to make the decision to put your babys health (teeth and breastmilk nutrition) above your own desire to not hear him fuss. Take away the bottle. You mentioned you wanted to go a lot farther with him nursing. The ball is in your court. You control the bottle and breast.

You mentioned he snacks throughout the day- TOTALLY NORMAL for his age. He is at the distracted age. Continue to feed on demand so your supply doesnt take a hit. Good luck enduring a few fussy evenings, but stick to your guns and do whats best for him, not what will get him to sleep quickest. You can do it! You love him and you are his mommy so be firm because its best for him to only have breast.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM
This!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

His breastmilk needs to be his main source in his diet till he is a year, so solids will have to go and you will have to out stubburn him till he starts nuring again. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If you offer & he refuses, he doesn't get anything else (solids, bottles, sippy, etc). Period. It's very very simple. You are the mom and it only happens if you allow it. He won't let himself starve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BambiF
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

If you offer & he refuses, he doesn't get anything else (solids, bottles, sippy, etc). Period. It's very very simple. You are the mom and it only happens if you allow it. He won't let himself starve.

Thank you.  I don't know why this is so hard for me.  I breastfed my daughter for a year and a half, but she was such a booby baby it was easy.  She's 3 1/2 now and I find it very easy to be firm with her on so many things,  but when it comes to the baby he has me wrapped around his finger.
 I'm glad I asked for advice here, this is exactly what I needed.  An e-slap lol.
 Anyway, thanks again.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM
No prob ;-)
It's something about those babies. My oldest I had no trouble being tough when I needed to be it was pretty easy, but with the second it got harder, and the third is worst of all! It doesn't help that he's the sweetest baby ever, so I feel like I'm kicking a puppy (not that I ever have) when I say "no" and he cries.

Quoting BambiF:

Quoting larissalarie:

Thank you.  I don't know why this is so hard for me.  I breastfed my daughter for a year and a half, but she was such a booby baby it was easy.  She's 3 1/2 now and I find it very easy to be firm with her on so many things,  but when it comes to the baby he has me wrapped around his finger.
 I'm glad I asked for advice here, this is exactly what I needed.  An e-slap lol.
 Anyway, thanks again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM
you can do it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Yes, this.. :o) 

Quoting larissalarie: If you offer & he refuses, he doesn't get anything else (solids, bottles, sippy, etc). Period. It's very very simple. You are the mom and it only happens if you allow it. He won't let himself starve.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Yes, you can!

Quoting annaica:

you can do it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:51 AM
You can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)