Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Stopping breastfeeding

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM
  • 16 Replies
My twins will be 6 weeks on Friday I have given up on bf. Up until a week ago I was doing fine with pumping and all. I believe they have hit a growth spurt because they want to nurse every hour now and I can't keep up. They have been getting formula since birth due to jaundice so they are used to it. How do I dry up my milk? Yesterday my last feeding was at 5 in the evening they received formula all night. I woke up super sore, swollen, and leaking. I gave in to one of my twins to release the pain! I know stopping cold turkey is bad and causes engorgement what else can I do??? HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Keep nursing and gradually increase the amount of formula they are getting while decreasing the breastfeeding. If you are getting engorged you are going too fast and can end up with plugged ducts and mastitis.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Drop ONE nursing per week till gone. Only one. You can speed it up a little by dropping a feeding every 3 days... but don't go faster than that because you will end up engorged.

Your other alternative is to get on estrogen birth control TODAY. YAZ in particular is a known supply killer that will have you dry by Friday.

Fair warning, however. The twins will remain equally hungry and demanding and you'll get fewer breaks with bottle feeding. And more expense with formula for two; even WIC doesn't provide full coverage for it any more. So think VERY carefully. This is a short term problem. Six week olds are pretty gnarly. You don't want to trade a short term problem for a long term one.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

yep.

And just to add,m if they take your breast, than maybe if you stop pumping and just nurse than that will save you time as well. Also if you can use a carrier that may help too. I have never nursed twins but I have nursed two babies. who were 20 months apart. Once they can hold their heads up it gets sooo  much easier! You can nurse them both at the same time as well. Having just one child at that age is challenging, I bet its even more challenging with two......but its so worth it, and once you get past this part it does get easier to nurse.

Quoting gdiamante:

Drop ONE nursing per week till gone. Only one. You can speed it up a little by dropping a feeding every 3 days... but don't go faster than that because you will end up engorged.

Your other alternative is to get on estrogen birth control TODAY. YAZ in particular is a known supply killer that will have you dry by Friday.

Fair warning, however. The twins will remain equally hungry and demanding and you'll get fewer breaks with bottle feeding. And more expense with formula for two; even WIC doesn't provide full coverage for it any more. So think VERY carefully. This is a short term problem. Six week olds are pretty gnarly. You don't want to trade a short term problem for a long term one.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
purple-vanity
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM
So how often should I nurse? They are already drinking 4oz of formula.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindysue852
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My baby was nursing every hour at 6 weeks up through about 7 and a half weeks. They are going through a growth spurt. Now he is almost 4 months and only eats every 3-4 hours during the day and I get a 7-9 hour stretch at night. Feeding off the boob takes a lot less time and effort than properly making a bottle and all the cleanup that goes along with it. I don't know how anyone could make it pumping constantly though, I hate the 3 12 hour shifts I have to pump during I couldn't imagine trying that around the clock, especially for twins! Good luck!

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Dd nursed every hour at. 6 weeks.
I felt like it was never going to end but I promise it will get easier.
Get a pillow lay them on it w their feet toward your back you can nurse both at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

As often as they want.   There's no single answer to that... and you can nurse when you want and supplement, or pump for part of the time.   It's never an all or nothing situation... but, if you WANT to exclusively breastfeed, you can do that too...  It's entirely up to you and what works best for you.

6 weeks is a hard age... just expect to spend a few days with them on the couch nursing and changing diapers.   Watch some good movies, read a book, play online.. etc... it will pass!

Quoting purple-vanity:

Quoting gdiamante:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM
yep. and to add....nursinf a newborn....or several newborns....you will sometimes be at points wherw you realize that right now you only job is to make sure everyone is fed....everything else has to wait. I remember those days and once I accepted that as my only job I would just make sure I had snacks around at all times and sit down and nurse all day. Once they get older there will be more flexibility to do more things. 6 weeks is a challenge.....but you can do it :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

As often as they want.   There's no single answer to that... and you can nurse when you want and supplement, or pump for part of the time.   It's never an all or nothing situation... but, if you WANT to exclusively breastfeed, you can do that too...  It's entirely up to you and what works best for you.

6 weeks is a hard age... just expect to spend a few days with them on the couch nursing and changing diapers.   Watch some good movies, read a book, play online.. etc... it will pass!

Quoting purple-vanity:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM

6 weeks is tough as it's growth spurt time!  Just nurse, nurse, nurse and after about a week it should even back out.  Don't stop cold turkey though, you'll end up with worse problems than the constant nursing felt like:)

Salsacookies
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm currently nursing twins. They are 2 weeks old tomorrow and they are hungry all of the time it seems like. I think maybe they are hitting a growth spurt early. I'm fortunate that they are fast eaters. They are usually done in 10 minutes...sometimes a little longer, but not usually. It will get better. i know some days i feel like a jersey cow, but with all the trouble i had with my daughter, i'm so glad that it's working out. my boys also had jaundice when they were born. they had to be under bili lights and have supplemental formula...they always nursed on me first though and my nurses and theirs were very pro breastfeeding. it's very possible to keep going. i'm giving you all the encouragement in the world. you can do it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)