Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping at work

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM
  • 14 Replies
I plan to pump while on break. The breakroom only has refridgerators. Will my milk be ok if I store it in the work fridge till I go home and stick the bag in my freezer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hello_kitty25
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM
That's what I plan on doing! It should be ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Most definitely! Milk is good in a refrigerator for up to 8 days. It's actually better to not freeze it unless you don't plan to use it for longer than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I do it every weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep. Every friday my milk goes in the freezer after being in the fridge at work. Other days I just put it in her bottle for the next day. So the only day she has frozen milk is Monday. You don't wanna freeze at work unless you gave a way to keep it frozen during the drive home. You don't want to re-freeze milk that has been frozen and thawed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Yep, or can you get and insulated bag like a lunch bag and ice packs? That's how I keep Karter's milk cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

Most definitely! Milk is good in a refrigerator for up to 8 days. It's actually better to not freeze it unless you don't plan to use it for longer than that.

8 days?? really? Wow someone told me an hour. So I wasted some bags of milk in the past thinking they were spoiled :( Oh well, I know now! Thanks for that info!!!

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting misslady80013:

Yep, or can you get and insulated bag like a lunch bag and ice packs? That's how I keep Karter's milk cold.

yes I have one of those bags which I plan on bringing with me to store the bags while i'm working! I better write my name on it lol

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

From 

Returning to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

How should I store the milk I pump at work? Do I put it all in the freezer?

In order for your baby to get the most anti-infective properties from your milk, it is best to offer it fresh whenever possible. Freezing has been found to denature some of the antibodies and kill some of the living cells in milk (Orlando, 2006; Buckley & Charles, 2006). Whether fresh or frozen, your milk provides all the nutrition your baby needs, and you can count on your milk to support your baby in all areas of growth and development.

Here is a schedule many working mothers recommend for using frozen milk. With this system, your baby gets more fresh milk and therefore the best possible nutrition and immune factors to protect him from illness:

• Pump on Monday; give this milk to your babysitter to use on Tuesday.
  • Pump on Tuesday; use this milk on Wednesday and so on until Friday.
  • Pump on Friday, label with the date, and freeze this milk; put it in the back of the freezer.
  • Use the oldest milk in the freezer for Monday.
  • Use your freezer stash only when you have an unusual need for extra milk, for example, when your baby is going through a growth spurt or you accidentally spill all of your freshly-pumped milk.
This system prevents the frozen milk from getting too old and needing to be thrown out. Another option would be to refrigerate Friday’s milk over the weekend and let your babysitter use it on Monday. This practice would preserve more of the antibodies in Friday’s milk but would not use up your frozen milk before it goes out of date.
07lilmama1108
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM
I out micahs milk in the fridge until i leave. Its fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Milk is good with an ice pack for 24 hours, in a fridge for 7 or so days and in the freezer 3-6 months..oh and deep freeze up to a year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)