Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Older babies

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 24 Replies
I have no problem bf now, ds is 3 months. I'm wondering how awkward does it get once baby starts crawling/walking. I know lots of moms bf up to and past 2, I'm not sure I will go past nine months. Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM

My daughter is 9 months now and its so much easier now. She is still a baby you will see what I mean when your son gets there but really 9 months he will still be so little and you won't wanna stop.

little.worthen
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM
My son is 9 months and it's the same. The only difference is he doesn't eat as long.
The only kinda ackward thing he does is crawl up to me a put his face in my boobs and pulls at my shirt. But it doesn't bother me at all.
I think by the time your baby is older, you're just used to it and it will be like second nature. I was only going to bf for 6 months but here I am still going at it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

For me, the only awkward thing about nursing my son now (he's ten months old) is that he's a squirmer. That, and a pop-offer. lol I give him three chances to pay attention to what he's doing. Once those are gone, his session is done.

I nursed my daughter for 3 years, and it does get easier as they get older. They'll have moments when they nurse like a newborn (growth spurts, illness, teething), but for the most part, the sessions are shorter.

It's important to instill good nursing manners. The previous poster mentioned the grabbing of the shirt. That's a big no-no in my house. You want juices? Be nice about it. lol

Clh1989
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM
The change from baby to crawler/walker isn't a sudden one, he will still be your little baby in your eyes. It's so nice to be BF when they're crawling and walking, every little bump or bruise they get you have the perfect comfort for!
Mommy2BJ
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

BF'ing does get easier as time progresses, and they still do benefit from MM even past 1-2 years. I BF DS1 for 3 yrs, 11 months, and have been nursing his younger brother for one year so far. When they start crawling, they need the antibodies just to keep healthy from being on the floor and getting into dust, etc.

GL, and happy BF'ing, Mama!

Lilypie - (Sskr)

Lilypie - (jPpq)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Wasn't awkward at all. Really wasn't any different.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I'm sure if I handed you a one year old to nurse right this minute, it would seem a little weird (not including the strangeness of being handed some random baby, lol), because right now you are used to a 3 month old, NOT because nursing a 1 year old is awkward. Luckily baby doesn't grow up all at once, it's gradual. Your baby won't magically seem different at 9 months, 1 day.

Advice? Read up on the benefits of breastfeeding longer term. For me, weaning at 9 months was never an option, since it seemed silly to pay for formula for 3 months when I made the stuff for free. However I did wean my oldest promptly at 12 months. After that I learned about the benefits to baby (and me) of nursing beyond 1, so I made the decision to continue. Though I was pretty scared of the judgment I might get, doing what was best for my child took precedence.

Good luck and congratulations on 3 months!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jlpmmom
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Thank you all! We went for a check up today, and he's not gaining enough weight fast enough. I thought he was bigger, but he's only 8 12. Dr has me supplementing now 2 oz. 3 times a day. I feel like this is my fault, like I did something wrong becauseI don't know what I'm doing and I don't have anyone to help me. My mom ff me and my brother. Any new advice now? Thank y'all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJill87
by Jill on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Noooooooo there are other things to look at before supplementing! Bf babies grow different than ff babies! Diaper output is what will show you if baby is getting enough!!!!!!

Quoting Jlpmmom:

Thank you all! We went for a check up today, and he's not gaining enough weight fast enough. I thought he was bigger, but he's only 8 12. Dr has me supplementing now 2 oz. 3 times a day. I feel like this is my fault, like I did something wrong becauseI don't know what I'm doing and I don't have anyone to help me. My mom ff me and my brother. Any new advice now? Thank y'all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Can you give us weight history? How many diapers a day?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)