Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Uti meds safe while breastfeeding

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 28 Replies
I think I have a uti I am going to the dr soon (within 2 hours) I want to be prepared and know meds which are safe to take while breastfeeding.
Please help as I am clueless on this topic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurenb1
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Only amoxicillin. They gave me the wrong stuff when I was nursing so I had to go to the hospital so they could change my prescription. The stuff said " do not take while breastfeeding or pregnant" like really dumb doctors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Do you have a smart phone?
Lactmed has an app.
You can even check the drug class. You'll find them under antibacterial agents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Most uti meds are safe as they treat kids/pregnant women with them as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Quoting laurenb1:

Only amoxicillin. They gave me the wrong stuff when I was nursing so I had to go to the hospital so they could change my prescription. The stuff said " do not take while breastfeeding or pregnant" like really dumb doctors

There are several others that are safe, in fact I'm pretty sure everything they prescribe for a UTI is safe. Thr truth is that most of those that say "do not take while breastfeeding or pregnant" re actually 100% safe. they put that label on almost drug, even on prenatal vitamins.

This is one that is commonly prescribed and is safe, I took it recently while breastfeeding:

The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2012.  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. He also lists if a drug has been reviewed and/or approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in nursing mothers.  Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

Co-trimoxazole (Septra, Bactrim, Cotrim)

Listed as L3, moderately safe; AAP:  Maternal Medication Usually Compatible with Breastfeeding

Co-trimoxazole is a combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole.

Sulfamethoxazole: Secreted in breastmilk in small amounts. Pediatric Concerns:  None reported via milk, but use with caution in hyperbilirubinemic neonates and in infants with G6PD.

Trimethoprim: Because it may interfere with folate metabolism, its long term use should be avoided in breastfeeding mothers, or the infant should be supplemented with folic acid.  Commonly used in full term or older infants.  Pediatric concerns: None reported via milk.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

laurenb1
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Oh good to know about 3 years too late

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting laurenb1:

There are several others that are safe, in fact I'm pretty sure everything they prescribe for a UTI is safe. Thr truth is that most of those that say "do not take while breastfeeding or pregnant" re actually 100% safe. they put that label on almost drug, even on prenatal vitamins.

This is one that is commonly prescribed and is safe, I took it recently while breastfeeding:

The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2012.  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. He also lists if a drug has been reviewed and/or approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in nursing mothers.  Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

Listed as L3, moderately safe; AAP:  Maternal Medication Usually Compatible with Breastfeeding

Sulfamethoxazole: Secreted in breastmilk in small amounts. Pediatric Concerns:  None reported via milk, but use with caution in hyperbilirubinemic neonates and in infants with G6PD.

Trimethoprim: Because it may interfere with folate metabolism, its long term use should be avoided in breastfeeding mothers, or the infant should be supplemented with folic acid.  Commonly used in full term or older infants.  Pediatric concerns: None reported via milk.

www.infantrisk.org

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I just called to ask and they told me I had to pump and supplement for the first 3 days while on the meds.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting laurenb1:

www.infantrisk.org

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clh1989
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

The infant risk hotline said that?
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM
No no sorry should've been more specific. The dr I'm going to said that I called the pharmacy and they told me cipro was the best now waiting for dd's pedi to call me back before I go.

Quoting Clh1989:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

How progressed is your uti?  Do you get them often?  Have you become resistant to other abx?  Cipro is an odd choice for an occasional uti.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

No no sorry should've been more specific. The dr I'm going to said that I called the pharmacy and they told me cipro was the best now waiting for dd's pedi to call me back before I go.

Quoting Clh1989:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

mama02040608
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Cipro is safe. You do not have to pump and dump. I learned this firsthand the hard way.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting Clh1989:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN