Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

funny behavior at the breast

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

DD is 9 days old- she's been breastfeeding pretty well aside from some slight latch issues (sucking the nipple in instead of latching on properly... I'm working with her on it).  She was past her birth weight at 1 week old- yahoo.  Yesterday and today she has started to sort of play at the breast when I first try to put her on.  I know she is hungry but she won't seem to latch on.  She'll kind of play with the nipple but won't really take it in.  This will last for a min or two or as long as 5 min.  Finally I can get her to latch on and take good feed then.  Any thoughts why she is doing this?  I'm not using any soaps/lotions on my breast besides the lanolin. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Any pacifiers or bottles?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
mimi0884
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

No bottles, a paci here and there... I know, not a good thing.  My boys never had issue with that so was hoping she would be okay too. 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Quoting mimi0884:

No bottles, a paci here and there... I know, not a good thing.  My boys never had issue with that so was hoping she would be okay too. 

I would stop offering it for a few days and see if it stops. 

katieabril
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM
It's probably fine.. mine used to do the same sometimes, make sure ur bringing her to the breast not the breast to the baby, and maybe tickle her chin first so she opens her mouth wide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM
My son did this too and I called it the tiger latch. I later learned he was softening the nipple to get it to his liking. Lol very cool how they learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mimi0884
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I've been following the guide on kellymom that's supposed to help with latching.  She just chases my fingers if I get them anywhere near her mouth!  Silly girl.  Her lips are not out as much as they should be while she's latched so I know that's what's causing my discomfort sometimes.  Not sure if she is tired of me working on the latch and that's why she's playing around now? 

Quoting katieabril:

It's probably fine.. mine used to do the same sometimes, make sure ur bringing her to the breast not the breast to the baby, and maybe tickle her chin first so she opens her mouth wide.

katieabril
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Yeah that's probably it.. :)

Quoting mimi0884:

I've been following the guide on kellymom that's supposed to help with latching.  She just chases my fingers if I get them anywhere near her mouth!  Silly girl.  Her lips are not out as much as they should be while she's latched so I know that's what's causing my discomfort sometimes.  Not sure if she is tired of me working on the latch and that's why she's playing around now? 

Quoting katieabril:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

This is pretty normal stuff for the age. But considering it's an irritant I'd put the pacifiers away.

MamaLauraWilson
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
My dd does stuff like that. I figured I would let her lead and she calmed down and latched on. She bats my hand away and arches her back when I try to pull her in. so I get her close, and let her come to me. I find it funny.
mimi0884
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Thank you! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN