Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding well, but still lost weight? **Update from weight check 8/30**

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM
  • 65 Replies

My boys had their 2 week well baby check today and they have lost a few more oz even though they eat fine. Jacob was 5lbs 12 at birth, discharged from the hospital at 5lbs 5oz and today weighed 5lbs 3oz. Isaac was 6lbs 10oz when he was born, left the hospital at 6lbs 1oz(lowest weight for him was 5lbs 10oz approximately) and he weighed 5lbs 12oz today. I don't get it. They eat well, have what seems plenty of wet and poopy diapers and are generally good babies...except for their weight. They were fed on demand and can easily sleep 3-4 hours, sometimes 5 in between feedings. Their ped now wants me to wake them up every 2 hours to feed them and we go back for a weight check on Friday. This is slightly discouraging...I thought they were doing fine. :(

Update: We had our weight check today and they still weigh the same. Doc says they look fine, but he's still concerned with how they aren't gaining. He's giving it until Monday and we'll come back for another weight check. He said if they don't start gaining, they may have to be put in the hospital to watch their feeds and check for underlying issues. I don't get it. They are making diapers and are alert and generally healthy, but they keep losing weight.

Update #2 - Jacob has an upper lip tie. His frenulum goes all the way down to the bottom of his gums. I've done a little research and the things that other babies have done when they had this totally matches Jacob's issues. He is always rooting and hungry for something and since we've started supplementing him with formula to help get his weight up(he always nurses before the sup.) his poop diapers are becoming more frequent....more often like a breastfed baby should be....or any baby for that matter. I think the lip tie paired with his huge overbite is most of his problem. I will talk to the ped tomorrow about it and ask who I should see for him to get it clipped and have him check Isaac too. I think I may have solved my own problem.

3rd update - Had another weight check today. I've been supplementing them with formula since friday just so their weight would go up to keep them out of the hospital. Jacob gained 2oz since Friday and Isaac gained 3oz. The ped still isn't happy though because he think they should be up to their birth weight already. I told him about the lip tie on both of them(isaac has one too) and how I think it may be hindering their ability to efficiently get enough milk out to gain weight and he said that he doesn't think it is causing the issue. He thinks that I don't have an adequate supply of milk to sustain 2 babies and he's recommending that I put them on formula. He said he is a big BFing advocate and he can count on one hand the number of times that he's recommended babies be switched to formula. I think that if he was really an advocate, he'd be knowledgeable in breastfeeding issues. I want to research the issue farther and see about getting it fixed, but SO is saying I should be listening to the ped instead of stuff I find on the internet. I will keep feeding them the formula just to get them to continue to gain weight, but I am going to continue to research and see about getting it fixed. I really don't know what the ped expected as far as weight gain. 3oz in 3 days would equal to 7oz a week and that's pretty good. We have another weight check on Thursday, so we'll see how it goes.

Update 8/30 - Another weight check today. Jacob is finally back up to his birth weight and Isaac is 6lbs 6oz. They both have gained a half inch. The doc that we saw today told me that since they are gaining positively now, to go back to breastfeeding and supplementing with formula as opposed to strictly formula which i am happy about. They both have thrush so they have pretty purple mouths for awhile.

baby

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aniters
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

you're supposed to wake them every 2-3 hours when they're newborns to eat.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM
Yes, wake them every 2 hours- if they don't demand sooner- for now (temporary and likely only for a free weeks until their gain picks up)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Only if jaundice or weight gain is an issue. Most babies can be nursed on demand from birth without any issues.

Quoting aniters:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Salsacookies
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I figured they would wake themselves up when they were hungry. DD never let herself go past 2 or 3 hours and she was formula fed. I've always read that breastfed babies typically wake up every hour to 2 hours to eat because the BM digests faster and they get hungrier quicker. I've always been told that babies won't let themselves go hungry...

Quoting aniters:

baby

aniters
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:12 AM

i didn't know that. my baby had jaundice maybe thats why i had to feed him every 2-3 hours.

Quoting larissalarie:

Only if jaundice or weight gain is an issue. Most babies can be nursed on demand from birth without any issues.

Quoting aniters:

Salsacookies
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

They did both have jaundice too and I was feeding them every 2-3 hours in the hospital with both breastfeeding and supplemental formula. After my milk for sure came in, I was pumping and supplementing them with that.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting aniters:

baby

aniters
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:15 AM

thats true. i'm pretty sure they won't let themselves starve. my son had jaundice and i was 17 when i had him so i did everything the doctors told me to. i fed him every 2-3 hours and i was so exhausted. 

Quoting Salsacookies:

I figured they would wake themselves up when they were hungry. DD never let herself go past 2 or 3 hours and she was formula fed. I've always read that breastfed babies typically wake up every hour to 2 hours to eat because the BM digests faster and they get hungrier quicker. I've always been told that babies won't let themselves go hungry...

Quoting aniters:

chi_moma
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:16 AM
My second baby had the same problem. She fed constantly it seemed but steadily lost weight. Eventually she became jaundice which just got worse with her weight loss and then we had to take every single day for blood tests. 3 months later she was still at her birth weight (7 lbs 9oz) poor girl went thru so many tests and they were never able to come up with a reason why.

I know that won't help your situation any, but just be careful. We had dozens of issues due to her not gaining weight which led to other issues. Your ped will probably recommend supplementing to see if that helps tho
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Yes in general this is true and what I've practiced with my babies. However, if your babies are continuing to loose weight after the first week, it's time to wake them if they go too long and try to encourage more frequent nursing.

Quoting Salsacookies:

Quoting aniters:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:34 AM
2 moms liked this

My traditional first question: Same scale? If not, ignore the weight on the odd scale. I'd only use the doc's scale and disregard the hospital weights at this point. 

Quoting Salsacookies:

My boys had their 2 week well baby check today and they have lost a few more oz even though they eat fine. Jacob was 5lbs 12 at birth, discharged from the hospital at 5lbs 5oz

Discharge typically is not lowest weight. Presuming a vaginal birth, Jacob should have dropped to 5/3 at lowest. If c-section, expected lowest is 5/1.

and today weighed 5lbs 3oz.

I'd have expected today's weight to be anwhere from 5/5 to 5/7... he's not too far off. Reading on...

Isaac was 6lbs 10oz when he was born, left the hospital at 6lbs 1oz(lowest weight for him was 5lbs 10oz approximately)

Isaac lost a little more than would be expected.

and he weighed 5lbs 12oz today.

So he put on two ounces. Reading on...

I don't get it. They eat well, have what seems plenty of wet and poopy diapers and are generally good babies...except for their weight. They were fed on demand and can easily sleep 3-4 hours, sometimes 5 in between feedings. Their ped now wants me to wake them up every 2 hours to feed them and we go back for a weight check on Friday. This is slightly discouraging...I thought they were doing fine. :(

Likely they ARE doing fine. please google "Look at the baby, not the scale." Lots of great info there.

They are not that far off from where I'd expect... about two ounces shy for each boy. Expected gain is 4-6 ounces a week.

Any signs of jaundice? That can make them sleep... they're both sleeping a bit more than I'd expect from newborns. For the next week, go ahead and wake them to feed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)