Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

where's my milk?!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

Okay, so this is my 3rd lo, and she is almost 3 weeks (19 days) - I am exclusively bf'ing as I did with the other two until they were 15 months. I had a 3rd c-section and have a pretty slow recovery this time. So, with that back ground info - here is my problem. I was engorged for only 1 day......and my breasts are SO small again! I know I have SOME milk but my left side has much much less than my right and now even my right side seems to be dwindling. I will not supplement and bf on demand. My lo does get hiccups quite often and will spit up as well. I know she is getting milk, I am just very surprised by how small and how little. Have begun drinking mother's milk tea and if this continues will get some fenugreek. Pumping isn;t my cup of tea but will do if I must. Any other ideas moms??!?

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
3 moms liked this
You can't base supply on how your breasts feel. Your body has done this before, so it regulates much faster.
Unless your baby is lacking diapers (at least 6 a day), your supply is fine and you don't need to waste your money.

Actually hiccups & spit up could be an indication of an OVERSUPPLY :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

My supply regulated super duper fast this time (also my 3rd).   How are diapers?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
TysMom102304
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Thanks! This just seems so different from last time - but her dipers are fine, there are plenty of them!! She is also obviously gaining weight.....I guess its just hard to tell sometimes if she is fussy from gas, hunger - man - I feel like such a rookie!!!! lol But, I will try to stop stressing about it! btw - am trying to just feed one side at a feeding, any thoughts on this? Vs both sides at a feeding.....which is best for my supply?  

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Quoting TysMom102304:

Thanks! This just seems so different from last time - but her dipers are fine, there are plenty of them!! She is also obviously gaining weight.....I guess its just hard to tell sometimes if she is fussy from gas, hunger - man - I feel like such a rookie!!!! lol But, I will try to stop stressing about it! btw - am trying to just feed one side at a feeding, any thoughts on this? Vs both sides at a feeding.....which is best for my supply?  

Unless you're specifically trying to reduce supply because you're making too much, then you always want to let her finish one breast and then offer the second.   If she doesn't want the second, no big deal. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM
With the gassiness and spitting up, I think nursing on one side per feeding sounds perfect. I would also try nursing in a reclined position with the baby on top of you. Try it and let me know if it makes a difference.

Quoting TysMom102304:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)