Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think I'm Giving Up....

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 15 Replies
So let me start off by saying I have loved every part of my breastfeeding experience up until 2 weeks ago. My 8 1/2 month old daughter has started biting me multiple times during each feeding. I have tried to predict when this is going to happen for example when she is at the end of the feeding and not actively sucking anymore I take her off. I have tried correcting her when she does bite me. Sternly saying no and taking my breast away I have even stared setting het down on the floor for a minute before she is allowed to try again. Nothing is working she smiles and laughs at me. It has made me go from loving each each feeding to dreading it.
She has also started wanting to nurse all night. She won't sleep in her bed and when she falls back to sleep and a put my boob away within 5 minutes she is crying for it again. I haven't got more than 2 hours of straight sleep in over a year now and I don't know how much longer I can do this.

Any advice you have please give. I hate the idea of giving up but I don't know what to do otherwise. I can't keep being in pain and i can't go much longer with no sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyBearsMom608
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM
no advice , sorry momma. I ebf my 1st for 4 months and baby is only 2 months.......Im just hoping to make it as long as 6 months . Sounds like ur doing great and I know these vetern moms on here will have some great advice :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSince2005
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM
That is exactly what happened to me with ds when he was 8 months old. He was biting, even though he had no teeth, it hurt like hell. I did quit breastfeeding but I continued to pump until he was 11 months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eykelley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM
If your dreading ur feedings and not happy w/ it anymore than end it momma. You have made it to 8 1/2 months which is GREAT! I want to make it to a year, but even for me that's going to be hard. U can always try pumping and bottle feeding. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
6 moms liked this

Be consistent with the biting consequences.  Every. single. time. she does it, immediately put her down and walk away for several minutes.  She's old enough to associate biting with no more milk--my ds learned that well at the ripe old age of 5 months.

As for the nursing all night, is she getting solids?  Are you nursing fully before each solids feeding?  Are you offering every 1-2 hrs during the day?  Many babies get so interested in the world around them at her age that they get too busy to remember to nurse during the day, meaning that they have to make up those missing ounces at night.  Often, if you fill them up with milk during the day they don't need as much at night.

Is it possible that she's teething?  That can cause the biting and the frequent waking as well.  A frozen washcloth to gnaw on before nursing and a dose of motrin when the wake-ups are frequent and she's obviously in pain at night could do wonders for both of you.  Just as an fyi... my older ds was FF by that age and he still did the crazy frequent wake-ups as well because of teething.  Changing the feeding method won't fix that problem, but it does remove a tool from your toolbox and a lot of cash from your wallet.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this
Set her down for a full 5 minutes after she bites then, and make your tone of voice & facial expression much more stern.Make sure you aren't giving any bottles, sippy cups, solids etc when she bites, nothing until she nurses NICELY.

As far as the sleep stuff, quitting breastfeeding won't change that. She'll still be crying for a boob, that doesn't change just because you decide to bottle feed :-) She'll just scream louder & longer when you offer a bottle instead.

Babies are only babies for a very short time. It might feel like forever right now, but before you know it it'll be her first birthday, then her second, and third...you'll wonder where the time went! Try to enjoy her, sleepless nights and all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

K8wizzo covered it pretty well. I can only add... weaning doesn't mean sleeping. Death, taes and never getting a full night's sleep ever again are our three guarantees as moms. 13 years into the game, I can promise you it's true. 

Adopt the soldier's trick... sleep whenever you can. Leave things undone if they don't pertain to continued breathing.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Aug. 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Mine was the same way starting around 5 or 6 and a half months, he only bit me 2 or 3 times however it was easily corrected in the same manner you described. He also constantly wanted the boob, and stopped taking his bottles well at daycare, that's when I incorporated CO-SLEEPING, I had always been against it, as society had brainwashed me to believe it was wrong, but it really saved my life, he could help himself to his "milkies," while I slept... THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! He's one year old now and still going strong and I'm so happy, I think I probably would have given up if I hadn't realized that Cruz needed to be with me during the night. I know co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, but if you're comfortable with it, it's worth at least a try, as far as the biting I would just keep doing what you are doing and maybe increase the time between ending the session and offering again. I know someone with more experience will be able to give you some more effective advice, but just remember virtually every obstacle in the breastfeeding relationship can be overcome.

BTW, congrats on making it 8.5 months, that's AWESOME and a lot better that most are "able" to do these days.

ANSnyder
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM
We kind of co sleep. DH isn't comfortable having her in our bed he is a very hard sleeper and worried he will hurt her BUT I sleep with her on the sofa once she wakes up for her first feeding.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Mine was the same way starting around 5 or 6 and a half months, he only bit me 2 or 3 times however it was easily corrected in the same manner you described. He also constantly wanted the boob, and stopped taking his bottles well at daycare, that's when I incorporated CO-SLEEPING, I had always been against it, as society had brainwashed me to believe it was wrong, but it really saved my life, he could help himself to his "milkies," while I slept... THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! He's one year old now and still going strong and I'm so happy, I think I probably would have given up if I hadn't realized that Cruz needed to be with me during the night. I know co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, but if you're comfortable with it, it's worth at least a try, as far as the biting I would just keep doing what you are doing and maybe increase the time between ending the session and offering again. I know someone with more experience will be able to give you some more effective advice, but just remember virtually every obstacle in the breastfeeding relationship can be overcome.

BTW, congrats on making it 8.5 months, that's AWESOME and a lot better that most are "able" to do these days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ANSnyder
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I think that is my biggest fear about quitting is that she won't want the bottle or it won't help her sleep anyway. Like I said I used to love our special time nursing and I know she likes it too. Maybe if I can get her to stop biting I will feel good about it again.

Quoting larissalarie:

Set her down for a full 5 minutes after she bites then, and make your tone of voice & facial expression much more stern.Make sure you aren't giving any bottles, sippy cups, solids etc when she bites, nothing until she nurses NICELY.

As far as the sleep stuff, quitting breastfeeding won't change that. She'll still be crying for a boob, that doesn't change just because you decide to bottle feed :-) She'll just scream louder & longer when you offer a bottle instead.

Babies are only babies for a very short time. It might feel like forever right now, but before you know it it'll be her first birthday, then her second, and third...you'll wonder where the time went! Try to enjoy her, sleepless nights and all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats dangerous co-sleeping on the sofa. Try side-caring the crib or you sleep in the middle. That is much safer.
Quoting ANSnyder:

We kind of co sleep. DH isn't comfortable having her in our bed he is a very hard sleeper and worried he will hurt her BUT I sleep with her on the sofa once she wakes up for her first feeding.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN