Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bottle advice

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone!

I am  in need of some advice... My daughter is almost 5 months old and has been EBF, Im not planning on quitting but I havent had any time away from her since birth because she REFUSES a bottle,we also have a 2 1/2 year old son who is definitely going through terrible two's, hope Im not the only mom that feels like im going crazy some days :/. Im just in need of a little mommy time or a date night with the hubby would be wonderful lol.  Anyways..we listened to the lactation nurse in the beginning and postponed introducing the bottle until 6 weeks, well that didnt work out so well for us. We have been trying bottle, after bottle since week 6 with no luck. Tried avent, tommee tippee, nuk, gerber and parents choice bottles and she doesnt want a thing to do with any of them. Our son was also BF but we introduced a bottle within the first week of his birth so he had no problems taking one. My husband is also a little bummed that he hasnt been able to feed our daughter like he could our son.

So has anyone else had a problem like this? Any tips, tricks or advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED simple smile

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Rest assured, it's not the time of introduction... it's just your daughter.    She probably would have ended up refusing them no matter what.

I have two kids who refused bottles after a certain age (3 months for the one that had a bottle the first week, 4 months for the one that waited until 6 weeks).   

It really doesn't effect your ability to have time "away".... just leave some expressed milk and go do whatever it is you want to do.     Baby will either take the milk, or not.   No big deal.    For most babies, when moms not around it's "out of sight, out of mind" and they don't really think about eating.    She may miss you, though.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
mrsfitz05
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Has someone else tried giving her a bottle or you? Were you out of the house? have you tried a sippy cup?

There is no reason you couldn't feed her, leave her with a caregiver with a couple ounces in a sippy cup and go to dinner with your husband and feed her immediately upon your return. At 5 months, she would likely be fine for 3 hours or so. You will be amazed what they will do for other people.

mommy092011
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Try a similic bottle. They are made just like your breast so she may take to it. Worth a try anyway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd just try a sippy cup.
My dd never took a bottle. She had one, behind my back, and it caused some nipple confusion that took about a week to correct. I just didn't want to risk having that happen again so I leave a sippy cup (spill proof valve removed) when I leave. Caregiver tips, baby sips. This is what's worked best for us, and I introduced the sippy between four and five months so maybe give it a try.
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I agree with pp's its not when its introduced its the childs personality and who is giving it.

Are you around when its given?

Is it bm in the bottle?

Have you tried different temps?

Babies will not starve themselves, go out, leave baby with a patient caregiver and just leave a bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlmommaof2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I have tried so has my mom, my sister and my husband with bottles and she just screams. I stay at the house while they try I just leave the room and she just screams the whole time. I havent tried a sippy at all, maybe we'll give it a whirl. She has started on baby food and does pretty well with a spoon so maybe it will work? Im willing to try anything :) Its like she knows I am going to leave and doesnt want me to. Even my mom who seems to be able to calm anyone down cant get her to settle. Sometimes i think she just wants to nurse as a soother, not so much that she is hungry...I just cant leave when she is screaming :( I might just have to try it anyways and just not go more than 10minutes away in case.

mlmommaof2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Is it bm in the bottle?

Have you tried different temps?

yes and yes :)

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Just leave.    She won't die.   No "testing" things while you're around to "make sure"... just make plans and go.  She may surprise you.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mlmommaof2:

I have tried so has my mom, my sister and my husband with bottles and she just screams. I stay at the house while they try I just leave the room and she just screams the whole time.

Well there's the problem. Babies have an excellent sense of smell... they know when mom's still around and they won't take a substitute when the real thing is right there!

You need to actually LEAVE the house entirely. Be gone for a while with strict instructions that you are ONLY to be called for blood or flames.

I havent tried a sippy at all, maybe we'll give it a whirl. She has started on baby food and does pretty well with a spoon so maybe it will work? Im willing to try anything :) Its like she knows I am going to leave and doesnt want me to. Even my mom who seems to be able to calm anyone down cant get her to settle. Sometimes i think she just wants to nurse as a soother, not so much that she is hungry...I just cant leave when she is screaming :( I might just have to try it anyways and just not go more than 10minutes away in case.

You go anyway, go as far as you'd like... blood or flames are the only reasons you return before you're otherwise ready. Trust me on this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)