Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

still losing weight

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
My son is 2w1d and is now 11oz below his birth weight. At 5 days he was 7lbs 3 oz and today he was 7lbs. His dr is now wanting us to feed him more often. He eats every 3-4 hours and refuses to eat if he's not ready. She wants us to offer a bottle if he refuses to eat. We go back Monday and if he's not gaining then we have to supplement with formula. I do not want to put him on formula. His ped is very bf friendly. Why would he be losing weight? He has plenty of wet and dirty diapers and eats good when he's ready to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM
What's his birth weight? 7.11?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mry
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Honestly stop watching the scale and trust your self. You really feel he's okay stop stressing and watch diapers. Keep it up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Yeah he was born 8.15 at 7 lbs 11.6 oz. He was discharged 8.17 at 7lbs 6oz. On 8.20 he was 7lbs 3 oz and today 7lbs

Quoting ceckyl:

What's his birth weight? 7.11?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Tell me about your nursing management. Are you nursing strictly on demand, no timing? What about the dipe count? How many in 24 hours, and are there any poops in that?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Start pumping. If baby s not removing enough milk, you will not bring in a full milk supply.

Try to supplement with your own milk several times a day with a syringe. If you must supplement with bottles that is okay but not ideal.

Take off your shirt, strip baby down to a diaper and get in bed with baby. Put baby on your chest and let him sleep there. Every time he starts to stir, help him to the breast. Stay there until Monday.
MisfitInTN
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I have been nursing strictly on demand. His demand has been about 3-4 hours between feeds.He has 6-7 wet diapers a day and 1 good poop and a few small poops a day. He is very sleepy still and he will not feed if yes not ready to and will refuse to latch.

Quoting gdiamante:

Tell me about your nursing management. Are you nursing strictly on demand, no timing? What about the dipe count? How many in 24 hours, and are there any poops in that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Have baby been checked for a tongue tie, a high palette, a lip tie? Have any tests been run on baby?

At this point I woud already be seriously worried and most likely supplementing with my own pumped milk.  HERES why: weight is still dropping and baby is very tired

Most newborns will nurse even in their sleep, that is if the sleep is not a medical issue...when just tired they will dreamfeed often not totally refuse.  

Are you using a pacifier?

MisfitInTN
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM
We were using a pacifier but his dr told us not to use it anymore except for when he's asleep. I did give him some expressed milk tonight and he nursed alot until he fell asleep.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Have baby been checked for a tongue tie, a high palette, a lip tie? Have any tests been run on baby?

At this point I woud already be seriously worried and most likely supplementing with my own pumped milk.  HERES why: weight is still dropping and baby is very tired

Most newborns will nurse even in their sleep, that is if the sleep is not a medical issue...when just tired they will dreamfeed often not totally refuse.  

Are you using a pacifier?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)