Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First food?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM
  • 19 Replies

I am looking at what my little one should be eating for her first food...  She is 4.5 months, and today she started sticking her hands in my food and trying to stick it in her mouth (she actually got a tiny bit of raspberry and banana smoothie).  I am thinking this means she is interested in starting food with her breast milk soon.  Will starting her soon decrease my chance of keeping her BF the first year? My original plan was to wait until she is 6 months.  Should I use rice cereal?  I am nervous because a couple people in my husbands family have had allergic reactions to the cereal.

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM
3 moms liked this
You need to wait until she is at least 6 months. Babies this age are naturally curious about everything and automatically put things in their mouth. Last summer when my youngest was under 6 months old he was constantly trying to eat rocks & mulch at the playground. Obviously I didn't take that to mean he was ready to start eating those things :-) It's no different with solids, it's just the adults perspective that is different with solids foods as opposed to other objects.

When you do start, always nurse immediately before. Breastmilk is #1 until after the first birthday. Infant cereal is basically fake vitamin filled junk food, it's better just to go with real food once you start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this

No rice cereal. It's junk and constipates; NEVER needed.

Stick with your original plan. Baby doesn't know you're eating, only that you're doing something. If you were smoking cigarettes baby would reach for those too.

When you start at six months, try avocado or banana.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree no food till 6 months. I bf before i give him food and then he always wants to bf again soon after eating. I started with carrots and bananas. he loved them! 

Quoting larissalarie:

You need to wait until she is at least 6 months. Babies this age are naturally curious about everything and automatically put things in their mouth. Last summer when my youngest was under 6 months old he was constantly trying to eat rocks & mulch at the playground. Obviously I didn't take that to mean he was ready to start eating those things :-) It's no different with solids, it's just the adults perspective that is different with solids foods as opposed to other objects.

When you do start, always nurse immediately before. Breastmilk is #1 until after the first birthday. Infant cereal is basically fake vitamin filled junk food, it's better just to go with real food once you start.

brenatens
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info.  She does stick EVERYTHING in her mouth.... so I guess food is no different.  I had heard someone saying that she needs the iron in infant ceral? 

Quoting larissalarie:

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Not true, but it's a common case made for cereal - - your breastmilk has less iron in it, but it is more bioavailable, meaning that more of it breaks down and is actually used  :) 

Quoting brenatens:

Thanks for the info.  She does stick EVERYTHING in her mouth.... so I guess food is no different.  I had heard someone saying that she needs the iron in infant ceral? 

Quoting larissalarie:

brenatens
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I have heard that she will not get the iron without it?  Is that something I should have the vitamins for, or will she be able to get enough iron from other foods.

Quoting gdiamante:

No rice cereal. It's junk and constipates; NEVER needed.

Stick with your original plan. Baby doesn't know you're eating, only that you're doing something. If you were smoking cigarettes baby would reach for those too.

When you start at six months, try avocado or banana.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Nope. The iron is in the breastmilk and it's more easily used by the body. Iron in cereal is very hard for baby's body to use. More risk of anemia WITH cereal than without it!

brenatens
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

How about the vitamins?  I had a friend who was told by her doctor that her baby would need an infusion if she didn't use cereal or vitamins.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Not true, but it's a common case made for cereal - - your breastmilk has less iron in it, but it is more bioavailable, meaning that more of it breaks down and is actually used  :) 

Quoting brenatens:

Quoting larissalarie:

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If mom is getting all the vitamins necessary, baby does NOT need them  :/  

Quoting brenatens:

How about the vitamins?  I had a friend who was told by her doctor that her baby would need an infusion if she didn't use cereal or vitamins.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting brenatens:

Quoting larissalarie:

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM
You've been given great advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)