Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Naps evaporating into thin air!

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

My DD used to nap from the time she was 2 months until 5.5 (we're a week from 6 months now) very well. Like I-think-I-had-best-baby-ever well. 2 naps a day that would last 3 hours each. It was a beautiful time in our lives. 

Then we started solids. Not sure if it's correlated or not but she's got superbaby energy now and will take 2 hours (if we're lucky) in the morning and maybe 1 hour in the afternoon. AND she's up until 9 or later (bed time used to be 7). 

Is this normal once they hit the 6 month mark (she's always been a bit early on growing up) or once they start solids? 

I just keep thinking of, "this too shall pass," yet I didn't think it would be that soon.

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
The sleeping patterns change many times in the first year or so. This is normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyMamaFergie
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD turns 6 months tomorrow and her naps are about 1-1/2 - 2 hours long. She takes 2. That is normal at this age. Her naps used to be 3-4 hours long and those days have long been over. It's very exhausting but the key, in my opinion, is routine. Mine takes a nap from 9-11am every morning, 1-3pm every afternoon, then bedtime at 7pm. We started her on cereal and pureed foods about a week ago and nothing has changed in her sleeping. Most of the time she won't make it to 7pm so we end up putting her to bed at 6:30 right after her bath. 

How long has she been doing this? I know that right around 6mo. they hit a growth spurt. Mine just got done with one that lasted like 3 days. Also keep teething in mind... when my daughter started teething napping because scarce. But I put my mind to it about a week and a half ago to sleep train my daughter because I NEED all the energy to keep up with her since she is extremely high-need. So I put her down to nap the same times every day and we have our bedtime routine. I suggest not letting her dictate when her nap and bedtime will be.... your the mommy and you know when she needs to go to sleep. Mine would fight and fight and fight sleep because she wanted to hang out with the big people but she would just be so fussy and rub her eyes and pull at her ears because she was sleepy. She would cry at first when I put her down because she was fighting it but I know my baby needs sleep and she got the hang of it and now she may cry for a couple minutes but then zonks out. :)

Babies sleep better when they have napped well all day. An overtired baby makes for a loooong night for both baby and parents!

I hope this helped at least a little!! PM me if you have any questions about how I sleep-trained my little one :)

Kirsti44
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Yeah, DD sounds a lot like yours. She has been doing all the teething "warning signs" since she was 8 weeks old so at this point I am checking every day, hoping! 

What time do you wake her up in the mornings? I'd love to put her on a consistent schedule but my DH is her primary caregiver since I work and he's home with her all day and he's not the type to do a schedule. He does a great job with her and I don't mean that as a slight to him. The schedule you describe sounds just like the one I'm trying to set up with her. Which makes me feel better.

She's been doing this for just a week or so. Sleep has gotten progressively less the last 4 days. I'm a teacher and went back to work 3 weeks ago, so I'm thinking that this might to do with it as well. 

We used to sleep-train but once we started solids, she must have also hit a growth spurt because she's taking 2 extra 4 ounce bottes but she doesn't want them during the day - just after her bath - making it difficult for her to take 12 ounces between 6:30 and 9:00. So I put her in her crib and let her cry to burn some energy and then get her up and give her 2 more ounces at a time (all she'll take) until she's full enough to sleep. *sigh*

Quoting BabyMamaFergie:

My DD turns 6 months tomorrow and her naps are about 1-1/2 - 2 hours long. She takes 2. That is normal at this age. Her naps used to be 3-4 hours long and those days have long been over. It's very exhausting but the key, in my opinion, is routine. Mine takes a nap from 9-11am every morning, 1-3pm every afternoon, then bedtime at 7pm. We started her on cereal and pureed foods about a week ago and nothing has changed in her sleeping. Most of the time she won't make it to 7pm so we end up putting her to bed at 6:30 right after her bath. 

How long has she been doing this? I know that right around 6mo. they hit a growth spurt. Mine just got done with one that lasted like 3 days. Also keep teething in mind... when my daughter started teething napping because scarce. But I put my mind to it about a week and a half ago to sleep train my daughter because I NEED all the energy to keep up with her since she is extremely high-need. So I put her down to nap the same times every day and we have our bedtime routine. I suggest not letting her dictate when her nap and bedtime will be.... your the mommy and you know when she needs to go to sleep. Mine would fight and fight and fight sleep because she wanted to hang out with the big people but she would just be so fussy and rub her eyes and pull at her ears because she was sleepy. She would cry at first when I put her down because she was fighting it but I know my baby needs sleep and she got the hang of it and now she may cry for a couple minutes but then zonks out. :)

Babies sleep better when they have napped well all day. An overtired baby makes for a loooong night for both baby and parents!

I hope this helped at least a little!! PM me if you have any questions about how I sleep-trained my little one :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Solids can indeed interfere with sleep. Don't worry about a schedule. Really, don't. They settle into their own groove quite well.
BabyMamaFergie
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yep, DD started teething around 2-1/2 months. She has been very good about creating her own little routine since she was born. I have to have routine in order to keep my sanity. I believe that babies do much better on a routine as well. With that said all babies are different so while some may be just as calm and content without naps and no routine mine is just not that way. Never has been! So here is what it is now that she is 6 months. Mind you this is pretty flexible because there are days where she just will not sleep for whatever reason, etc. 

6:30-7am -- wake, nurse, playtime
8:15-8:45am -- breakfast (baby rice cereal & pureed fruit)
9am -- Naptime. I rock her and sometimes nurse a little then put her in her crib when she is drowsy but not all the way asleep.
11am -- Wake, nurse, playtime
1pm -- Naptime
3pm -- Wake, nurse, playtime
5:30pm -- Dinner (baby cereal & pureed veggie) then walk 
6pm -- bedtime rituals (bath, massage w/ essential oil & lotion, book, nurse)
7pm -- Bedtime 

My daughter refuses to eat if I try to feed her at a time that is not her normal rountine feeding time she turns her head and won't eat. Lol. So they're not for every baby but it definitely helps me!!

Quoting Kirsti44:

Yeah, DD sounds a lot like yours. She has been doing all the teething "warning signs" since she was 8 weeks old so at this point I am checking every day, hoping! 

What time do you wake her up in the mornings? I'd love to put her on a consistent schedule but my DH is her primary caregiver since I work and he's home with her all day and he's not the type to do a schedule. He does a great job with her and I don't mean that as a slight to him. The schedule you describe sounds just like the one I'm trying to set up with her. Which makes me feel better.

She's been doing this for just a week or so. Sleep has gotten progressively less the last 4 days. I'm a teacher and went back to work 3 weeks ago, so I'm thinking that this might to do with it as well. 

We used to sleep-train but once we started solids, she must have also hit a growth spurt because she's taking 2 extra 4 ounce bottes but she doesn't want them during the day - just after her bath - making it difficult for her to take 12 ounces between 6:30 and 9:00. So I put her in her crib and let her cry to burn some energy and then get her up and give her 2 more ounces at a time (all she'll take) until she's full enough to sleep. *sigh*

Quoting BabyMamaFergie:

Kirsti44
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Thanks everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN