Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not sure about dr breastfeeding advice

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM
  • 21 Replies

Went to see my 4 month old's dr for a check up today but then he said we can start introducing solids soon if he is eyeing us eating and wants to take a spoon.  But isn't 4 months way too early.  I don't remember when my other two started eating solids but my son is not sitting up on his own yet and is 17 pounds at 4 months old as of last week.  Granted he was 9 pounds 4 ounces at birth.  What do you think?

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Way too early. The recommendation is exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months prior to the introduction on solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Not until at least 6 months ....

angelsdaycare
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM

then dr went on to say if I do wait till 7 or 8 months to introduce solids or later that at 6 months I should start giving baby a vitamin d vitamin in drop form (because we live in Alaska and won't be seeing sun for awhile here soon) and a Polyvitsol vitamin drop.  But isn't just breastfeeding enought till 7 or 8 months.  Don't I just take the extra vitamin D and he get it that way

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM
My pedi was saying the exact same thing!
I looked everything up on kellymom and im comfortable ebfing until 6 months without any vitamins.

Quoting angelsdaycare:

then dr went on to say if I do wait till 7 or 8 months to introduce solids or later that at 6 months I should start giving baby a vitamin d vitamin in drop form (because we live in Alaska and won't be seeing sun for awhile here soon) and a Polyvitsol vitamin drop.  But isn't just breastfeeding enought till 7 or 8 months.  Don't I just take the extra vitamin D and he get it that way

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Noooo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GremlinMom
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:43 AM
I got an additional explanation that you wait till 6 months because its less of a choking hazard since most can sit unassisted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM
That is so strange. My son was under weight and even then they said no solids till months. I would ignore the doc and wait till he's months. Don't ruin his virgin tummy,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:13 AM
I personally do give my kids vit D under 2 conditions. 1) they are over 6 months old and 2) it's winter time. I live in upstate NY and from around Oct-April the sun isn't out that much or it's too cold to spend a lot of time outside in the sun.
The poly-vi-sol he mentioned is for ff babies because you are right. They get most of their vitamins from you.

Quoting angelsdaycare:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM
There is a vitamin D only drop you can buy.... I forget the brand.

My pedi told me I could just take at least 20003 iu of vitamin D myself and pass it to my son. I take that anyway since I am fair. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Carlson Labs makes a vitamin D drop that is 400 IU in one drop. I put one drop on my nipple per day. I would agree that in Alaska, you should do Vitamin D.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN