Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Husbands Aunt is nuts!

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
So I posted the other night how my FIL was eating peanuts while holding my ds and then he had an allergic reaction. Thank you for everyone who replied. I have since talked to him and he knows what he did was wrong and why and he does feel badly about it. So I am confident now that another incident like that will not happen again. So now for tonight's events:

My dh's aunts and uncles come up to visit at the cottage. They decided to bring Danishes and some had some almonds on it. So my MIL kindly asked everyone to wash their hands after they ate their danishes (and before touching out son) just in case because I'm sure that they had nuts all over the place in the bakery where they were made. Well his aunt went buck wild about having to wash her hands. She was literally like yelling back and fourth with y MIL saying that my da shouldn't eat anything because she's sure that everything is processed in shared plants and how do you know if it's not. My MIL and dh tried explaining that you can READ a label and it would state that. Well she continued to go buck wild and said that you can't have people come over to your house and expect them to wash their hands of they have nuts and if that's he case "I just won't touch the kid!"
1. Washing your hands is NOT that big of a deal. People do it everyday!
2. IF you were invited over we wouldn't have to worry about his allergies because we don't eat anything at the house that he is allergic to.
3. If you can't respect our wishes to help keep our son well and alive then b*tch you don't even need to see him let alone touch him!

I'm glad that my MIL and dh are not idiots and tried to explain it to her. Unfortunately she may be a lost cause. Dh is pretty pissed and said that we're done with her. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmartinez
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM
She sounds nuts! Washing her hands is NOT a big deal! And Danishes are sticky...wouldn't you wash your hands ANYWAY? Not like you were asking her to shower after eating. She sounds like a pain in the ass. Glad MIL and DH deal with her and don't let it slide. Can't be too cautious with allergies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

WOW. That woman would no longer be welcome anywhere near me or my child. OK. So shes not gonna touch him. Fine. But she better not touch anything else in the house, because she could leave nut residue on the furniture, door knobs, ect. I'd have told her to GTFO. 

Clh1989
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I don't understand that attitude at all! Why is so difficult to
Wash your hands?! She wasted more energy having a hissy fit then she would have if she just washed her hands in the first place!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Don't you just love family *grin*
justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I'm glad your hubby is supportive. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM
People are crazy like that. We had our second dd a month early, people refused to visit us for several months because they would have had to get their pertussis booster first. Some people just feel no sense of responsibility or consideration for the needs of others. Better off without them.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM
They were GUESTS at your vacation cottage, and she didn't want to respect the rules of the house for safeguarding your baby's life by simply washing her hands? Geez, you'd think she was being asked to strip naked and get sprayed down and wear a hazmat suit. I'm sure she'd say in her own house they can eat whatever they want, but as a guest, shouldn't she just oblige the house rules? I have friends w allergy kids and I'd never even walk into their house w the offending foods and won't eat peanut stuff at my own home on days I'm visiting them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Just what is so hard about washing hands? Is she afraid of water? If so, she must attract a lotta flies.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read that crazy story!

Quoting Clh1989:

I don't understand that attitude at all! Why is so difficult to
Wash your hands?! She wasted more energy having a hissy fit then she would have if she just washed her hands in the first place!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN