Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Starting my registry...can you help????

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM
  • 20 Replies

I'm looking for what kind of items to register for for breastfeeding. 

What is the best brand of:

breast pads

soothing gel pads

and what kind of nursing pillow do you recommend?

TIA ladies!!!  

BabyFruit Ticker
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Best is subject to personal preference.

Quoting 1amazingfamily:

breast pads -  My preference was healthflow.

soothing gel pads - Soothies. I believe they're the only brand on the market anyway.

and what kind of nursing pillow do you recommend? - None. A jumbo bed pillow was perfect and far less pricey. I used the pillow I'd brought for myself to the hospital.

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I like lansinoh breast pads.
I never used soothing gel pads.
I bought a Walmart version of the boppy and I love it! Regular pillows don't work as good for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM
I LOVED the Lansinoh brand breast pads, I leaked through everything else =( I had oversupply and overacting letdown.
Soothies worked great for my friend, I've never tried them.
I'm a fan of the Boppy pillows. I will say that I only use them for like the first 6mo or so but I still recommend them. I had 2 c-sections.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Lansinoh breast pads, soothing gel pads by lansinoh or hot/cold ones by johnson and johnson ( lanolin by medela was my friend too) and luna lullaby pillow...love it! btw, many baby items are unnecessary...educating yourself on bf is so much more important!
the womanly art of breastfeeding is a great book on bf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I prefer the brestfriend pillow, but honestly after a few days (and I had a c-section) I quit using them. It's more hassle then it's worth.

kerwolfe712
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I liked Lansinoh for breast pads and preferred disposables to reusable (I leaked a lot and the reusables would get stuck when the leaked milk dried and it hurt terrible to peel them off).  Lanolin is worth its weight in gold.  Never used gel pads, just frozen peas when I was engorged.  For the pillow, I liked a Boppy.  I didn't use it for very long but felt like it was worth it because my daughter used it later.  Also, a real small square throw pillow for the small of my back to help my posture.  Good luck! 

devoesgirl
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:14 AM
For me Lanolin was necessary the first few weeks. Think I went thru a couple tubes. If you plan to work an electric breast pump. Ive been using Johnsons nursing pads
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM

I used the Lanisoh breast pands. I tried a couple other brands and they leaked. Lanisoh were the only ones that didn't leak and also didn't stick to my skin when I used lanolin.

I used some type of soothie gel pad because a friend bought it for me...but I used it maybe twice and found that while it felt good for the 1st couple seconds, it didn't help my nipples to heal and it eventually just made matters worse. Letting them air dry was the best relief I had, then putting on lanolin. 

I used my boppy pillow a lot on the couch. If I was in bed, I just layed with her. But right after she was born, if I wanted to use the bobby I had to actually fold up a recieving blanket for under her head because she was still too small. 

littlemonaghan
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Also....make sure you register for Lanolin. Like anotherposter said, it really is worth its weight in gold and then some. Wonderful wonderful stuff. 

eykelley
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Breast pads- I use the gerber washable ones at night and around the house and when I go out anywhere I use the lily pads. I love those things.

Gel pads- I bought the lanisoh ones at Target. They work great. I keep them in the fridge to make it extra cold.

Pillow- I use the Boppy. I love it. I bought the one I have used 5 years ago w/ ds. I just went out and replaced the cover for a Girly one for dd. I bought it used for like $10! I'm sure u can find em cheap too. Or register. It's a popular gift to get. I also use it to prop dd up at night cuz she refuses to sleep on her back. Once she's in the Boppy in her cradle, she's out. And when she has complete control of her head/neck it's great for tummy time too. :D

I would also either register or buy the Medela brad Lanolin cream. It's good stuff. Helped with the chopping and soreness. Also, ask for a shield or shells in the hospital. I am SO glad I did. I didn't use it in the hospital, but once we were home I was in so much pain I had to. Found out dd has a tongue tie and that's what's causing the pain. So her pedi recommended I use the shield for now till its clipped. Thank god I had it. It's $10 at target!! Also, get a good nursing bra (I got one for $14 at BRU) and I recommend either a nursing night gown or a sleep bra. So much easier to just pull my bra/gown down and nurse at night. No fumbling around.

:D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)