Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Stop smacking your babies!!

Posted by   + Show Post
Why do people find it necessary to smack their babies on the back to burp them?? Some really wack them to get it done when it is so not necessary. A simple clockwise rub or gentle tap does the trick. Trust me. Try it and you'll see. Its so infuriating cause most do it mindlessly rough! Built up aggression maybe? Lol Chill out!!

Infuriating is a harsh word that I really didn't mean..irritating..lol it's irritating.
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
jtcwjotoole
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Quoting nicsmama09:

Top top bottom bottom middle middle middle.

Lol

(From Mikey mouse clubhouse)

LOL this is what i've done with my two youngest :) glad im not the only one
nicsmama09
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Lol I never tapped DS I just had to rub his back and he'd burp or just applied a lil pressure to his back.

Quoting jtcwjotoole:

Quoting nicsmama09:

Top top bottom bottom middle middle middle.

Lol

(From Mikey mouse clubhouse)

LOL this is what i've done with my two youngest :) glad im not the only one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I've always been a smacker. With ds1 it worked beautifully. With ds2 I've been having issues but just thought he was a difficult burp. After reading this last night I googled. OMG! The circles are like majik!! Ive never gotten burps as easily! Thx for the wake up. :)
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Eh, every baby is different. My first all I had to do was sit her up and she would burp. My second I never could burp her. She would have terrible gas pains and spit up tons but nothing worked. My husband could burp her occasionally but I think it had something to do with his hand size and where he could put pressure on her tummy while patting her back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It sounds roughing that what it is and kudos to your for it being so easy to just rub, but some of us have really stubborn little ones.

Also, that's how they teach to burp in the hospital.

mamabens
by Miranda on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I can honestly say for my first baby that's how I thought it had to be done. The  nurses showed me how & that's how they did it, that's how grandma did it, that's how mom did it. I didn't KNOW any better. By my second I did know better &  just patted her gently but  mainly just stopped burping her that way because 9 times out of 10 if she had to burp she could do it on her own without "help" from me.  My 3r was the same as her.

milanalove
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Quoting Emadele:

I've always been a smacker. With ds1 it worked beautifully. With ds2 I've been having issues but just thought he was a difficult burp. After reading this last night I googled. OMG! The circles are like majik!! Ive never gotten burps as easily! Thx for the wake up. :)

:) Even patting the bottom works..funny that you googled it!
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I had tried everything with this kid and it was still tough to get burps. And he screams about the gas. Light pats, firm pats, butt pats, rocking, bouncing, walking, everything all at once. Nothing made it easier. Then as soon as I tried the circle rubs it was less than a minute each time. It just never occurred to me that there was any other way than patting.

And honestly I google about everything. Need backup evidence and visual instruction for most things. :)

Quoting milanalove:

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Aphrodisiac
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I have never really put much effort into burping my babies, I guess I am lazy but if they are sleeping I especially don't burp them.

RozyMama
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM
I agree! My daughter was a bounce & rub baby. My son was jiggle jiggle whack! He still likes to be patted very firmly to fall asleep. I, think babies would loudly indicate their displeasure if the thwacking method bothered them. :)

Quoting AMR320:

I used to work daycare and it definitely depends on the baby!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

My DD really liked it to be patted very firmly. I think it depends on the baby :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN