Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So how does this work when my baby turns 1

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM
  • 40 Replies

My son will be one in 2.5 months and then what? I know he needs to be eating mainly solids. He eats solids now but gets full off the bm. I think I might just nurse him at night for bed.  So how will I get him to go down for a nap durning the day since he always nurses to sleep?????? If I put BM in a sippy and give it to him do I pump when he drinks it out of a sippy?? I'm lost and very stressed about this and the 2.5 months will go by so fast and I need to know what to do. I pump 4 times at work right now so should I pump once at work and use that for his sippy cup for nap ...or just give him cows milk...IDK help me figure this out please!

baby boytoddler boyLOVE MY BOYS!!!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM
4 moms liked this
One isn't a magic age where they no longer need breast milk or breast feeding. Keep up whatever schedule you had at 364 days old. If you do drop feeding be careful as you could dry if you don't pump too... And then why not just nurse? Cows milk can be given but it doesn't HAVE to be.

Basically: don't change anything until you're looking to wean. If it works for you and him now why change it?
bmack2107
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM
You do whatever you want =] I would give him his food before putting him on the breast if you are looking to wean him of daytime feedings. Buuuut I don't have any experience doing this, seeing as I'm a bf newbie =P hope I gave you some decent advice! If not, I'm sorry, and good luck! =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MollyJmommy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
My dd is 13 months old and still nurses alot she eats plenty of food but she shows no interest in weaning. Just because they turn 1 doesn't mean you have to stop it just means you can :) if you're ready to quick then drop one feeding a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KKmommy3
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Not sure..  I went through it, but I don't think my way was the right way... if there is such a thing.  My girls weaned before one year, and I am not sure what I did, I don't remember. duh,  But with my son, I BF'd him for 15 months or so. I was not working, so I BF'd whenever, and at one year I was doing it mostly at night or naptime.  Pumping never really worked for me so when I gave him a sippy or a bottle it was cows milk or water.  I made the mistake of giving him a bottle of cows milk instaed of nursing and he did not want to go to sleep without it for another year!  I suggest you do not get into that bad habit.  But I do not know what the best way to wean is.  Hopefully you will get some great advice...

smp755
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I was also very stressed about this!! i was nursing every 3 to 4 hrs and she was eating solids. At 11 months, because i was planning on weaning at 12, I just dropped one feeding a day and giving her milk, not BM, instead. I dropped just one feeding a week. I did it very slowly because I didn't want my breast to hurt and to make it easier for her. By the fourth week I was just doing night time feedings. BTW my supply never went away and always had plenty for the night time feedings without pumping during the day. If it was her nap time i would just sit her in my lap and let her watch her favorite tv show while drinking out of her cup. (she preferred the ones with a straw for some reason). Then put her down. This trained her for when I weaned her from her night feedings.

ktinaza
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I just thought after 1 they  really don't need to nurse and if he nurses a little do I pump at work like 2 times then instead of 4?? He loves nursing but I want him to learn to start getting full off of solid food.

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The one year mark is a MINIMUM recommendation for breastfeeding, not the cut off number :)..

I've choosen to let my LO self ween.. she's 21 months right now, and now nurses only at night before bed.. however until about 17 months she'd still nurse before naps as well..

Nursing is a lot better option than introducing cows milk :). If you'd like you can pump and put some in the sippy for nap if you feel it will help ween him..

But this is the age where I'd start to introduce water in a sippy at meal times

asaffell
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Babies need breastmilk until at least 2 years. For mine, the switch from nursing to solids was gradual. Nothing magical changed between  11 and 12 months - over time they ate bigger portions more often and nursed less. If you're pumping, I know a lot of people slowly wean themselves off pumping at work so baby gets solids and water/cow's milk while mom is working and nurses while mom is home. Just drop one pumping session a week. But you don't have to push him on solids, he'll get there over time.

Quoting ktinaza:

I just thought after 1 they  really don't need to nurse and if he nurses a little do I pump at work like 2 times then instead of 4?? He loves nursing but I want him to learn to start getting full off of solid food.

ktinaza
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

This is what I'm thinking I want to do....only nurse at night. How long did you nurse at night for? I guess at first the naps will be hard since he is use to nursing to sleep. But if I gave him a sippy with milk...maybe. He chokes a lot on sippys since the flow is pretty fast.

Quoting smp755:

I was also very stressed about this!! i was nursing every 3 to 4 hrs and she was eating solids. At 11 months, because i was planning on weaning at 12, I just dropped one feeding a day and giving her milk, not BM, instead. I dropped just one feeding a week. I did it very slowly because I didn't want my breast to hurt and to make it easier for her. By the fourth week I was just doing night time feedings. BTW my supply never went away and always had plenty for the night time feedings without pumping during the day. If it was her nap time i would just sit her in my lap and let her watch her favorite tv show while drinking out of her cup. (she preferred the ones with a straw for some reason). Then put her down. This trained her for when I weaned her from her night feedings.

baby boytoddler boyLOVE MY BOYS!!!

SadieJames
by Sarah on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Quoting ktinaza:

Check out the WHO recommendation. Everywhere recommends a minimum of 1 year. He will learn to eat at his own pace. Imagine doing something your whole life and having to change at some arbitrary time. Nursing is what he knows. As he grows and matures it will become secondary but he may not be ready for that yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)