Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby getting enough milk?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
How can I tell if ds is getting enough milk? I was told to go by diapers so I kept a careful log. Daily he would have at least 8-10 wet and 1-2 poopy (he's 3 months old). He has always been active and alert. I took him for an appt and he lost 3 oz. He had a tongue tie but we had that fixed this morning. Now I am sooo paraniod about him not getting enough...I just don't understand how he lost weight...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Diapers are the only way to know he is getting enough. The tongue tie is more than likely the problem and I'll bet you'll see a big increase in weight now that it's fixed. It was probably not an issue at first because most women have an oversupply of milk but once it regulates that is usually when you see a decrease in weight because of a tongue tie. 6-8 diapers a day is what you want! What goes in, must come out!

ptowncards05
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM
This

Quoting jjchick75:

Diapers are the only way to know he is getting enough. The tongue tie is more than likely the problem and I'll bet you'll see a big increase in weight now that it's fixed. It was probably not an issue at first because most women have an oversupply of milk but once it regulates that is usually when you see a decrease in weight because of a tongue tie. 6-8 diapers a day is what you want! What goes in, must come out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

He only had the TT clipped today, so you need to start counting dipes and watching weight gain, today. At least 6 wets is really allyou need to see. He may not poop every day at this age, even if he is getting plenty.

AndiWest83
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Make sure he's not dehydrated. You should be able to see bubbles in his mouth and his eyes should be glossy. I had the same concern at one point but she was fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Scales are liars. DOn't believe them. Believe what you see... active and alert means a lot more.

Know how often my doc looks at infant weights? ONCE... the first time he sees the child. Never again unless mom reports another problem such as lack of dipes or lethargy. The weights are taken, but they have no significance on their own.

Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Do you think he was fine and getting plenty of milk? I have been so paranoid that I nurse him on both sides, pump any that could be left over, then supplement him with even more. I started setting my alarm and waking up in the middle of the night to pump.

Quoting gdiamante:

Scales are liars. DOn't believe them. Believe what you see... active and alert means a lot more.

Know how often my doc looks at infant weights? ONCE... the first time he sees the child. Never again unless mom reports another problem such as lack of dipes or lethargy. The weights are taken, but they have no significance on their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM

YOu should see a difference now that the tt is clipped.  Continue counting diapers.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Do you think he was fine and getting plenty of milk?
Yours? Hell yes. He wouldn't be active if he wasn't.
I have been so paranoid that I nurse him on both sides, pump any that could be left over, then supplement him with even more. I started setting my alarm and waking up in the middle of the night to pump.

Go smash your alarm clock. YOu don't need it. Paranoia does more harm than good. THe times I've seen moms mess up breastfeeding... they were paranoid and forgot the ONLY rule: COUNT THOSE DIPES. Look at NOTHING but the dipes. Don't even look at the scale!
Google this: Look at the baby, not the scale. Great article by Dr. Jay Gordon, IBCLC.
I think baby scales are as dangerous as walkers. Possibly more so, because they drive moms to extremes! Scales are LATE alarms that go off after the house is fully engulfed. The early warnings come in dipes and milestones.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Now that the tie is clipped you likely won't need to supplement any more.  For the next 24 hrs put baby to breast and watch diapers.  If the count is less than 6 at the end of 24 hrs, supplement with 1/2 oz after a couple of feedings.  then, count for the next 24 hrs and supplement as needed again.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Do you think he was fine and getting plenty of milk? I have been so paranoid that I nurse him on both sides, pump any that could be left over, then supplement him with even more. I started setting my alarm and waking up in the middle of the night to pump.

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)