Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I have a seven month old Ds who is breast fed. Ds will not take a bottle and that has not been a problem since I'm a SAHM but I'm going back to work Monday. Can anyone suggest a good bottle a bf baby would take? Also I have no milk pumped because he won't take a bottle. Is there anything I can take that will up my supply so I don't have to give him formula? I started pumping the minute I found out I got the job and have three ounces so far. Any tips would be awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (11-17):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

At this age baby might do well going right to a cup, skip the bottles.

More info on pumping:

To Pump More Milk, Use Hands-On Pumping

from

Preparing for Your Return to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

Learn how to express your milk

Preparing for your return to work or school can begin with learning to express your milk.
  • You can express milk by hand, with a breast pump, or by using a combination of the two. 
  • Learning how to remove milk without your baby requires both developing your own expression technique and conditioning your milk ejection reflex (MER) or “let down” to respond to it. 
  • Most mothers experience MER in response to the sensation of their babies suckling as well as other stimuli like the sound of a baby crying. If you are having trouble eliciting MER during expression, try visualizing your baby at the breast or listening to a recording of your baby's cry. Looking at pictures of your baby or smelling your baby's clothes or a blanket may also be helpful. If you have a video feature on your phone, try recording your baby breastfeeding so you can play it back while expressing. One study indicated that mothers who replicated their babies’ sucking patterns by adjusting the cycle settings on their pumps expressed more milk (Meier, et al, 2012). 
  • Warming the breast before expressing and gentle breast massage (working from the armpit towards the nipple with a soft kneading touch or in a circular motion with flat fingers) has been effective at increasing the amounts of milk removed during expression (Jones, Dimmock & Spencer, 2001). 
  • Combining hand expression and massage with a pumping routine has been shown to assist with increasing milk production and output (Morton, Hall & Wong, 2009).

How often should I express milk?

Once a day is usually plenty at the beginning. Most moms find that they are able to express the most milk in the morning hours. You can nurse your baby on one side while expressing milk on the other side. Or you could pump both sides about one hour after your baby’s first morning feeding. Don’t worry if you don’t get very much milk at first. It takes practice, and your body needs to “learn” to make milk for that extra “feeding.” When milk is removed, your body responds by making more milk at a faster rate. It can take a few days for your body to increase production (Daly, Kent, Owens et al.,1996). Any milk collected during these practice sessions can be stored in the freezer.

How much milk should I have stored in my freezer?

Many mothers find that they feel less stress if they to know that they don't need to create a large freezer stash of milk before they return to work. Instead, they can use their maternity leave to focus on being with their babies and getting breastfeeding well-established. If you have enough milk to send with your baby on your first day, then you have enough in the freezer.

It is important to express as much milk while you are at work as your baby needs during that time. If your baby needs 10 ounces while you are away at work, then you need to pump at least 10 ounces each day.
For example:
If you were to only pump 8 ounces and send 2 ounces from the freezer each day, you would not be expressing the amount of milk your baby requires. Your body will “think” that your baby needs 2 fewer ounces each day than he really does, and your production will not match his demand. If you start to run out of milk in your freezer, you may face the difficult decision of how to meet your baby’s needs. Many mothers learn too late that increasing their milk supply to meet their baby’s demands is more complex than it seems. Meeting your child’s daily needs for expressed milk during separation is the best way to avoid difficulties later.

Using the simple system described, you pump each day what your baby would need the next day. This way you only use the small freezer stash for emergencies, such as dropping and spilling a day’s worth of milk, or other milk-related calamities.

Returning to Work: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Offering smaller bottles, of no more than 2-4 ounces, means there is a smaller chance that your baby will not finish his bottle and leave milk that must be thrown away by licensed daycares. 

What if my baby is refusing bottles?

If your baby is refusing bottles, or you prefer not to use one, there are other options available:
  • You can try cup or spoon feeding. If you use either a cup or spoon, make sure your baby is fed while sitting in an upright position and that the feeding is “paced” (slow).
  • If your baby continues to avoid any type of feeding while you are away, despite offering your milk from a spoon or cup, you may want to investigate slow-flow sippy cups (avoid ones that encourage babies to bite the tip to get milk).
  • Some mothers have said that offering frozen milk in a mesh feeder worked for them; babies may respond favorably to the new texture and temperature of the milk.
  • Investigate whether you can have your baby brought to you by your care-provider during a break so that you can nurse.
  • Another option, when your baby is refusing expressed milk, is offering to make up missed feedings when you are together. This is often calledreverse cycling.
  • If your baby is over 6 months, and ready for solids, you can send foods for him that have a higher content of water such as melon. Your baby will ideally be able to get an amount of your milk in some way, but there are other ways to cope with hydration issues if your baby is unwilling to take your milk in a liquid form.
jenesis915
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

i recently started pumping and feeding my dd i know how hard it is lol she hated bottles i noticed to at least with dd when you warm the milk make it warm enough body heat that like 90 some odd degrees i think if the milk is to cold or even just warm she wont take it

Quoting ALWsMomma:

Thank you

Quoting jenesis915:

i pump at ight and morning right before dd gets fussy because thats when she eats most so thats when i produce most i use tommee tippee and she actually accepted the bottle it took months to find one she accepted 

anamc414
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM
I use avent new natural bottles. I also go back to work soon actually in two wks. I make quinoa every morning that seems to increase my milk. Good luck!
bigmamaisback
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Herbs have been the only thing to increase my milk supply. Just use them daily. I use Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and it has worked great for me.

mamabens
by Miranda on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

WOW you haven't pumped  & got 3 oz!!?? That's amazing! Normal pump output is 1/2 - 2 oz total both breasts So you're good there. No reason to up supply! I wouldn't do a bottle though this late in the game. I'd go straight to a cup.

staciababy
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM

My pediatrician told me to buy one bottle at a time, and try them out before I bought a bunch of anything. I researched like a crazy person during pregnancy and got the Breastflow bottles, of which she hated because the wide nipple was too much. Then we tried the Calma from Medela $16 per bottle), and the flow was so fast that she got choked on it. I didn't even try the Avent or Tommee Tippee because of the wide nipple thing. Lucky for us, we tried the regular nipples that come with the medela stuff, and she loves them, and has no trouble switching back and forth between bottle and breast. It's jsut going to depend on your little one as to what he will take,

mommy092011
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM
We used the similc bottle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN