Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

the customer worried about the employee when it comes to nursing

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
  • 48 Replies

I started working for some extra income and tuesday was my first day. well since I was going to be there for 7 hours or so I brought my pump naturally so that way I could pump during lunch and stay some what on a schedule.i assumed since I never really asked anyone if they had a certain area for moms to pump so I went to the bathroom in the handi cap stall and of course I didnt have batteries so I couldnt use the machine pump and had to use the hand pump because naturally they dont have outlets in the bathrooms. When I was done I was rinsing everything off and washing my hands and this women said "they seriously make you pump in the bathroom? they dont have a more sanitary place for you to go? i mean i commend you for doing it but still you would think they would let you use an office or something." I was just like umm I dont know I never thought to ask and she said if I was you I would. Naturally now that I felt on top of the world but I decided to ask a manager if there was...my answer was no they just go to the bathroom and pump in there. that was that...

I read in a parenting magazine today that really because of the 2010 legislative laws that work places should have a place for moms to go pump. The store manager has an open door policy so Im thinking of going in there tomorrow and bringing this up. I know not only for the employees but for the customers too because I know I have had times where my ds would wake up and get hungry (he eats at random moments thank gosh im always full and have more then enough to support his random eating habits) and I would have to either a) go to my car and sit there till he was done or go to the bathroom. I think it would be more comfortable like how babys/toys r us has a mothers room. After all now some stores including one of the ones I work at have stork parking, I think they should also have a mothers room as well.

What do you think?

normally nursing in public is no biggy for me I will do it any and every where but pumping i cant be that discrete haha

Mom to The Fairchild Gang  happy

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM
http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Employment/WorkplaceSupport/WorkplaceSupportinFederalLaw/tabid/175/Default.aspx
Sorry not clicky- read up and print some stuff off. These are your rights as a pumping mother under federal labor codes broken down. Every working and pumping mother should read this.
cl1998
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I think that sounds like walmart!  Honestly if it was me I dont think I would do it in the bathroom I would prefer to maybe go to my car if there was no where else to go.

JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I think u should def ask. U wouldn't want Ur meals prepared in a bathroom. I am sure Ur boss wd understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairchildmama
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

thats what im going to do tomorrow is just sit in my car and plug in, i would have done it the other day but my fiance had the car because his truck was down. i hate it...who wants to sit on an open toilet and try to relax lol...not me!

Quoting cl1998:

I think that sounds like walmart!  Honestly if it was me I dont think I would do it in the bathroom I would prefer to maybe go to my car if there was no where else to go.

fairchildmama
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

thanks im reading up on it now and i will probably take it to work with me and sit down with a manager to get something set up because i cant be the only one doing it 

Quoting preacherskid:

http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Employment/WorkplaceSupport/WorkplaceSupportinFederalLaw/tabid/175/Default.aspx
Sorry not clicky- read up and print some stuff off. These are your rights as a pumping mother under federal labor codes broken down. Every working and pumping mother should read this.

cl1998
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Girl, I feel you.  At least you will be more comfortable next time:)  Hopefully your job can accomadate you better!!!

Quoting fairchildmama:

thats what im going to do tomorrow is just sit in my car and plug in, i would have done it the other day but my fiance had the car because his truck was down. i hate it...who wants to sit on an open toilet and try to relax lol...not me!

Quoting cl1998:

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
If your company has 50 or more employees, the law is now clear! You get a non-bathroom place with a door to pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lini1008
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
thanks for the link

fairchildmama
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM

we have 200 or more employees and thats just during the day. haha 

Quoting Amberleigh81:

If your company has 50 or more employees, the law is now clear! You get a non-bathroom place with a door to pump.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Legally they have to provide you a clean place to pump that is not a bathroom. It would be great if they had a place for nursing moms with a couch. I would shop at that store often but most places don't want to spend the money. Our babies r us doesn't even have one. I thought about nursing in one of the rockers on display lol. So tempting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)