Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pediatric neurologist **update**

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
UPDATE: amie has congenital non directional nystagmus. We are waiting for an MRI and pediatric ophthalmology appointment. She is NOT blind.

I'm a disability counselor at a local university so I'm familiar with many many disabilities. I always think i can handle anything. But Amie's eyes never focus. They move constantly and she usually looks way up. She doesn't track objects. She startles like a newborn. She's 3 months old and her ped wants her to see a neurologist within a week. I'm worried sick about seizures, ID, or blindness. Anyone's little one take longer to focus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Is it possible she's very near sighted? Just throwing guesses out there.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

My DS 2 was born at 34 weeks, but even when considering his corrected age (when he should have beeb born) he was way behind on focusing. I was freaking out when he was close to 3 months and still not focusing on anything. I thought for sure he must have some form of brain damage, and IQ of 50. 

Our family doc sent us to a pediatric eye doctor to check him out. We drove 2 hours only to have DS refuse to wake up or open his eyes the entire time we were there. The doc could not even examine him. The eye doc said to bring him back in a month if he was still not focusing.

A couple of weeks later he suddenly "woke up".

He's now 10 and his IQ is in the genius range. Not kidding.

I know how it is to be worried like that! Get ot the doc asap (less time to sit around imagining the worst!). If there is something going on, you want to know asap so that you can begin interventions.

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM
*hug* the only way to know is to get it checked out!
nursetina
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I'm sorry hun. Maybe its nothing. Hope the neurologist can reassure you.

jocelynred
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

i had a kdg child in my class that ended up having surgery to fix the muscles in his eyes. i could easily be something with the muscles or nerves in the eye. one thing i have been told by eye dr is that the amount of time it takes to start fixing the problem is about the time to see the problem fixed. kwim?like if you wait till 3 years old it could take 3 years for it to be corrected.

amiesmomma
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I'm waiting for the neurologist's office to call me back.  I hate waiting!

amiesmomma
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM

at this point, anything is possible.  She truly does not track objects, people, lights, etc.  She also does not smile, which isn't terribly developmentally delayed but may be because she doesn't see our smiles.

Quoting gdiamante:

Is it possible she's very near sighted? Just throwing guesses out there.

amiesmomma
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Amie was term, but we did have a few moments of decreased heart rate after my water broke.  I'm wondering if she didn't have some amount of hypoxia.  Thank you for the encouraging story!  I'm waiting for the "referral coordinator" to call.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

My DS 2 was born at 34 weeks, but even when considering his corrected age (when he should have beeb born) he was way behind on focusing. I was freaking out when he was close to 3 months and still not focusing on anything. I thought for sure he must have some form of brain damage, and IQ of 50. 

Our family doc sent us to a pediatric eye doctor to check him out. We drove 2 hours only to have DS refuse to wake up or open his eyes the entire time we were there. The doc could not even examine him. The eye doc said to bring him back in a month if he was still not focusing.

A couple of weeks later he suddenly "woke up".

He's now 10 and his IQ is in the genius range. Not kidding.

I know how it is to be worried like that! Get ot the doc asap (less time to sit around imagining the worst!). If there is something going on, you want to know asap so that you can begin interventions.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

HUGS momma, just remember that staying on top of it and aware is what will help your child in the long run

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM
This! (((HUGS)))

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HUGS momma, just remember that staying on top of it and aware is what will help your child in the long run

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN