Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I be concerned?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 10 Replies
Okay so I've been really behind..... with everything....
Noah will be 8 months old on the 24th. A week ago I took him to his six month well check... he's 29 inches long and 19.5#. He's Bf/formula fed. They go to measure his head and its 20cm. They came and measured it several times. I was like ummm what's up? The Dr says he's concerned with the size of his head... something to the effect of the brain could be growing too fast and the skull could be crushing it??? He's waiting for records from the old ped to compare growth charts. At birth it was 14.5 cm. Should I be freaking out??:/
Also.... he isn't crawling yet so I think he's moving at his own pace... he gets in position but then lays back down. He's sitting up perfectly. And he loves to pull hair and grab your face and pull on it... he also likes to smoosh his mouth into your face and give wet kisses.... cutest thing ever! I love my lil Guy.
The girls are loving school. Alis in 7TH Sara's in 3rd and Emma's in Kindergarten.
I hope all is well with everyone.

Also I've been bitten a few times and oh my gosh does that hurt!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I looked on kellymom. Normal head growth is 1/2 inch per month between 0-6 months then 1/4 inch between 6-12 months with an average increase of 33% from birth by 12 months. I wouldn't worry. My son has a smaller head (33%) but he's 95% for height and 85% for weight.

My son just learned to army crawl at 11 months(he's 12 months now.) He's working on getting on all fours.

Biting sucks but you can stop it! My son went through his biting stage at the same age. When he bit I'd say "Ow, no bite!" in a firm tone, then I set him on the floor and walk away of just sit and ignore him for 5 minutes, then I'd pick him up "Ready to nurse nice?", and we'd try again. He quickly learned biting mama meant no milk and he stopped! He rarely bites now and usually its when he sleepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Idk. My three month olds was 41 centimeters a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what normal is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Maddie`s head was 17 inches for a long time. Some kids aren't crawling at 8 months. I would not freak out yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I'm not sure about the head measurement.  At her last check-up. Ashlyn's head was in the 90th percentile even though her weight was below the 5th and height was around the 25th. The doctor wasn't at all concerned. 

As far as crawling, Ashlyn didn't start till after 9 months.  I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I would definitely correct the biting issue asap.  That is a bad habit that needs to stop.

Clh1989
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM
We are dealing with this with my daughter. Her head is below the growth chart completely. She actually has a check up for it in a few, I'll write more when I get back! My best advice is to compare it to old records. It's less worrisome if it's growing steadily.
ambertink
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Yea I'm curious to see what the old charts say. I will do this with him. I also notice it happens when he's tired or cranky. Otherwise no issues. I will try the timeout
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nursetina
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

If he is reaching his milestones and not having any signs I would try not to worry. I would get it checked out by a neurologist but I would try not to worry overly much.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I looked at my sons chart at 2 weeks his head was 14.25 inches(31%) and at a year its on 18 inches(38%.)

I'm thinking your baby is fine. In 11.5 months my son's head grew 3.75 inches and in 8 months your baby's head has grown 5.5 inches:-)

My pediatrician has never seemed the least bit concerned.

Hope you feel less worried:)

Quoting ambertink:

Yea I'm curious to see what the old charts say. I will do this with him. I also notice it happens when he's tired or cranky. Otherwise no issues. I will try the timeout

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertink
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Thank you for sharing. Sets my mind at ease

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I looked at my sons chart at 2 weeks his head was 14.25 inches(31%) and at a year its on 18 inches(38%.)

I'm thinking your baby is fine. In 11.5 months my son's head grew 3.75 inches and in 8 months your baby's head has grown 5.5 inches:-)

My pediatrician has never seemed the least bit concerned.

Hope you feel less worried:)

Quoting ambertink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

20 cm or 20 inches?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)