Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

2 week old hasn't pooped

Posted by   + Show Post
My EBF 2 week old hasn't pooped in 3 days now. Doctor said there isn't much waste with BF so not to worry. She said some babies can go 3 weeks without pooping. I wouldn't be too worried except he is pushing and straining like he is trying to go and crying.
What should I do to give him comfort? I know I have OAL so I pump before I nurse him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Replies (41-48):
Jessybear87
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
My 3 weeker hardly poops and she is breastfed, she cries and farts a lot, I have hyperactive let down so she's unsettled mostly at night. I would look into other possibilities of why he might be crying like acid reflux, silent reflux and colic. Breastfed (EBF) babies don't have to poop every day, in store bought formula there are so many 'extras' that a baby's body doesn't need so it collects and forms as poop. Breast milk is different, the baby uses almost all of the nutrients so poop forms slowly (over a few days to a couple of weeks. HTH!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessybear87
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Also you could try a baby chiropractor I've seen many moms say it's helped their LO's sometimes bubs can be slightly out of alignment and chiropractor can help get them realigned with certain massages
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NADA2
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Update...
After bicycling, infant massage, and expressing into burp cloth at letdown, at 10:26 pm, baby Eli pooped. He pooped so much that after the first diaper change, he pooped two more times! Maybe he will only go every 3-5 days. I'm charting it so I can have an idea.
Thanks for all the suggestions and confirmations that this is normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
azaleas.mommy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I would bring you lo to the chiropractor it works great! Also all natural. My daughter has been going since she was 8 hours old!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Whoo hooooooooooooooooooo for pooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

lol

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that, NADA. I woke up this morning and thought "I wonder if Eli's pooped yet." lol

Quoting NADA2:

Update...
After bicycling, infant massage, and expressing into burp cloth at letdown, at 10:26 pm, baby Eli pooped. He pooped so much that after the first diaper change, he pooped two more times! Maybe he will only go every 3-5 days. I'm charting it so I can have an idea.

Mitzi31
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Babies breakdown BM diferently than formula. I've been told that babies this young as long as they are ebf they aren't capable of being constipated. My dd went a week without pooping and she was fine. She had gas but thats normal. sometimes gas is bas and hurts and she cries but that can happen right after she poops too.

ssenter
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM

DS did this at 4 weeks and I gave him a warm bath and rubbed his tummy, I also lifted him so his bottom was higher then his head and held him that way for a couple minutes at a time break for a couple minutes up and so on and he started tooting and then he had a bm. I personally wouldn't give a suppository or prune juice but I know some moms that have it just wasn't my preference.

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Great update :)

Quoting NADA2:

Update...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)