Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP! I'm told that DS is too fat...

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
  • 53 Replies

Hello ladies!  As you might remember, I posted a about a week and a half ago saying how happy I was to *finally* reach 2 years breastfeeding!  I am still over the moon about our nursing relationship, but I got some disheartening news today at his 2 year old well baby check. 
Milestones--he's doing GREAT!
Height--still at 50%
Activity level--super high (he was running all over the place at his ped's office)
Vocab/speech--excellent...*except for not knowing colors...*
Autisum screening...the worries we had before have been resolved, no signs of it
Hemoglobin (SP?) levels--12 *told normal range*

Weight....almost 46 lbs. *Up twenty...yes 20! since December of 2011*

First of all, I am so upset that he has gained this much.  I mean, this kid eats healthy and is SO active.  I can barely keep up with him on good days.  He drinks lots of water...hardly any juice.  *Maybe once a week??*  he only drinks cows' milk with cereal and a rare "treat" when he asks. 

Next, the ped told me I'm bfing too much.  That it is time to wean.  NOW.  She wants him to be off the tap by his next appointment in 6 months. 

I know I need to be proactive and take what they say with a grain of salt.  And I realize that most of the time, what they "say" isn't the best thing.  But I can't help but to think that I am the one doing this to him.  That somehow my magic mommy "cream" is making my little boobear not so little. 

He isn't on a restrictive diet...yet.  But I was told to start incorporating more veggies into his diet, and to severly limit caloric intake with drinks.  *I.e...I need to start watching how much he's bfing* But they will be testing his thyroid to rule out a possible medical condition.

I'm at a loss.  I really don't know what to do.  I do not want my son to be heavy like me.  Just the thought of him going through the same childhood as me makes me shudder.  I do not want that life for him.

So, please.  I need advice for what to do next.  I'm guessing weaning is in order?  And any tips for what to feed him that's high in nutriton?  Please, any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleybgarcia
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM
What is he eating ? As far as food goes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

can you give us a sample of what he eats in one day and how often he nurses? 

If you are heavier and others in the family are too then it could very well be genitics that are playing a huge role in this.

SapphireMomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

Breakfast: an egg with cheese and a half a slice of bacon
whole wheat toast with grape jelly
cherrios w/ 2% milk
--always a piece of fruit with any breakfast

Lunch:
turkey sandwich *one slice of bread* and carrots
pb sandwich *one slice of bread*
string cheese with fruit

Dinner:
Pasta with loaded veggie tomato sauce
Chicken with veggies and rice
Basically whatever we eat for dinner.

Snacks:
prepackaged pack of animal crackers. 
Fruit or some carrots
Ghram crackers

MonicaV1982
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, for his age that seems like fairly large portions.

Quoting SapphireMomma:

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

Breakfast: an egg with cheese and a half a slice of bacon
whole wheat toast with grape jelly
cherrios w/ 2% milk
--always a piece of fruit with any breakfast

Lunch:
turkey sandwich *one slice of bread* and carrots
pb sandwich *one slice of bread*
string cheese with fruit

Dinner:
Pasta with loaded veggie tomato sauce
Chicken with veggies and rice
Basically whatever we eat for dinner.

Snacks:
prepackaged pack of animal crackers. 
Fruit or some carrots
Ghram crackers

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding is always the scapegoat. I agree that a 20 lb gain from age 1-2 is Very unusual, and needs to be looked into. However, breastfeeding is NOT the cause of the excessive gain. Moms are routinely told at this age to wean because baby is too small and is "nursing too much" and "not getting enough real food". Which, by the way, is not true. It is also not true that your baby s nursing too much and therefore gaining too much.

If your doctor is, basically, demanding that you wean now because of weight gain, ask him to back it up with research. Where's all of the research that shows huge toddlers from nursing too much. I know and have known lots of nursing toddlers, lots and lots, and have never seen one who gained 20 lbs between 1-2 years, not even close.

More veggies us good for everyone. No juice is good too (so drop it 100% instead if once a week, no big deal).

My bet is on something physical, a metabolic issue, thyroid etc.
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Toddlers NEED fats (healthy fats) for optimum brain development and growth. I would watch his sugar intake before even thinking about cutting back on breastfeeding. Sugar metabolizes into fat faster than any fat you eat. I'd cut out the juice, the jelly, etc and find healthy treats. Also, incorporate more veggies. It does sound like the portions are pretty big, but my dd is only 22 lbs at 2 yrs and eats like a bird. Bfing is normal and healthy at this age. Hope you can find something out with the further testing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I'm assuming the above menu is several examples of what he typically eats, not all in one meal. That all looks very normal to me. Could just be genetics here and he could have a growth spurt soon and shoot up in height that would balance out the weight gains. I wouldn't hurry to completely wean him just yet. I would certainly be open to testing for thyroid or metabolic disorders first. No need to rob him of great nutrition unless it's for sure what's causing the gains:)

eykelley
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
That is a bit much. My ds is 5. He is 46 inches tall and weighs 46.3 lbs!

I would try N make portions smaller. Drop any unnecessary sugars (juice is a HUGE culprit) and fats.

I would also look at his genetics. Are the ppl in ur/DHs family heavier... Genetics could play a role. If no, then id look at health issues. My little brother was WAY over weight at 8 years old. A blood test showed high cholesterol! Once in check, he lost the excess weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clh1989
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM
What he eats sounds fine, my son is 3 and super skinny and eats more than that. You could try switching out crackery snacks for more fruit or veggies. But unless he's eating crackers night and day I doubt that is why he gained so much! I agree with looking into it more but not weaning.
LKRA
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM
10 moms liked this

So we've got moms in this group posting that their kids' doctors tell them that there's not enough calories in their breastmilk and their kids are starving and they have to use formula.

Then we've got YOU with a doctor telling you that your breastmilk is soooooooooooooooooooo awesome, it's making your kid FAT!

Oy vey, these doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT your breastmilk. Diet? Perhaps. But not your breastmilk.

If you don't want to wean him, and he doesn't want to wean, then don't.

Have you posted a picture? I wanna see this chunky bear. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)