Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 6 month old

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
Is killing my nipples especially the left, he has no teeth but is teething can that affect his latch? Also he clamps down on them, I've tried the "ouch" method and stopping his milk for a min but it just makes him mad, honestly at 6 months he has no clue what I'm saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ptowncards05
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Yes teething can make nursing painful and affect latch.
You are doing the right thing by stopping nursing when he bites down. It's not that he understands the words (although you'd be surprised how much they do!), it's a cause & effect thing. He bites, he doesn't get to eat for a few minutes. Keep doing it and he'll get it eventually. Making him mad is ok, you wouldn't let him bite anyone else and not do anything about it just because he doesn't understand and correction makes him angry, would you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

yes the latch can change and keep doing the ouch and taking away milk, he will put two and two together in time and stop clamping down

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yes, teething, and yes, take him off and let him get mad. It's OK. That's part of the teaching. You may need to put him down for more than a minute.

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Agreed.. :o) 

Quoting larissalarie: Yes teething can make nursing painful and affect latch. You are doing the right thing by stopping nursing when he bites down. It's not that he understands the words (although you'd be surprised how much they do!), it's a cause & effect thing. He bites, he doesn't get to eat for a few minutes. Keep doing it and he'll get it eventually. Making him mad is ok, you wouldn't let him bite anyone else and not do anything about it just because he doesn't understand and correction makes him angry, would you?

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Let him get angry. He'll learn quickly that biting = no boob. It's probably best to teach him before he has teeth, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ptowncards05
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Thank you ladies, I will try anything lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)