Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Signing "milk" can be dangerous

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was laying down on my bed to nurse my 4 month old son to sleep at nap time.  We are both on our sides (me propped on my elbow) and I look down and say "Do you want some nummies?" as I sign milk to him a couple of times.

He got all kinds of excited, reached out and grabbed my nipple with both hands!   He just squeeled and pulled every which way!  Gah!  I swear he almost ripped it clear off!

I'm going to have to remain covered from now on, dang!

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Lol, sorry mama! I signed/sign "milk" with DS, but then he would/does just wildly bury his face into my breast and start rooting, lol, been that way since 5 mos!

RadnRem
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, he's just now starting to act like he understands what it means.  But I've only been consistent with it for about a month and a half. He pretty much just goes nuts, flails his arms around until he gets a hold of me, and shoves his face into my breast  This has been the first nipple attack though, lol.

If he's really hungry/tired....he refuses to look at me signing.  Like "I don't have time for that nonsense, mother!  FEEEEEDD me!"

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Lol, sorry mama! I signed/sign "milk" with DS, but then he would/does just wildly bury his face into my breast and start rooting, lol, been that way since 5 mos!

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Oh, ouch! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

LMAO! Too funny. 

Quoting RadnRem:

Like "I don't have time for that nonsense, mother!  FEEEEEDD me!"

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I haven't had a nipple attack yet, but DS is 13months and I'm letting him self-wean, so there may be one yet! In fact, yesterday he found the nipple on my other breast (he would've found it a long long time ago, but I usually only have out one at a time, lol) he tried fiddling with it, but I was able to distract him with a rubber bracelet, which occupied him for the rest of the session. He has also started yanking on my hair during feedings, so I think that bracelet or another "fiddly," may have to become a regular part of our nursing relationship.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Ouch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ourluvalwayz
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
how do you sign milk to your baby? this is my first time breastfeeding but i find that so interesting and would like to try it
RadnRem
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDtqFtV8dbc

I had to look it up when I first heard about it!

risa_alvarez
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

O.o  Ouch, I'm scared of that now. We will be teaching baby ASL because my SIL (Dh's little sister) is deaf. Hopefully he doesn't attack my nipple like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN