Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastmilk suppy &flu shot

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
My supply crumped once I got preggo, and can not handle any other blows. I question if I'm making enough as it is.
Will the flu shot affect my supply?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Ive never gotten it while bf so I'm not sure but I would guess it won't affect supply.
What are the current indicators that your having supply troubles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

How old is your nursling?

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I'd like to know this too.

Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christababy
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I've never had a problem with my supply after the flu shot. Don't forget to tell them you are nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Ds used to nurse just one side- than began needing to nurse both sides. My pump output is not enough to cover bottles on the days he goes to sitter (very rare- and I used to great pump output). He stopped sleeping at night- and now nurses 3-4 times a night. He nurses, and pops off a lot- then when he's done he still fuses for more. He's not really gaining weight. Barely 16 pounds @ 9 months. Having trouble with constipation despite every dietary change possible. He used to nurse, and be happy. Not anymore. He's a wicked happy baby- but I think we are barely making it. I have not been supplementing w pumped milk- just left him at boob. :-( it's makes me sad. I'm not going to quit- I will nurse thru my whole pregnancy if possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I responded- above, but forgot to "quote" lol

Quoting melindabelcher:

Ive never gotten it while bf so I'm not sure but I would guess it won't affect supply.

What are the current indicators that your having supply troubles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

How far along are you?  You don't need to stop nursing, but you may need to supplement because of his age--he still needs breastmilk or formula to meet his nutritional needs.  How are his diapers?  What is his complete weight history--birth, lowest, other weights that you have handy?

Quoting ckroch:

Ds used to nurse just one side- than began needing to nurse both sides. My pump output is not enough to cover bottles on the days he goes to sitter (very rare- and I used to great pump output). He stopped sleeping at night- and now nurses 3-4 times a night. He nurses, and pops off a lot- then when he's done he still fuses for more. He's not really gaining weight. Barely 16 pounds @ 9 months. Having trouble with constipation despite every dietary change possible. He used to nurse, and be happy. Not anymore. He's a wicked happy baby- but I think we are barely making it. I have not been supplementing w pumped milk- just left him at boob. :-( it's makes me sad. I'm not going to quit- I will nurse thru my whole pregnancy if possible.

AmiJanell
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I didn't notice any problems when I had it with my son....

I am going to get the shot this year.... last year I skipped it... HUGE mistake, our entire family ended up with influenza (while I as 12 weeks pregnant) and I don't think I have ever been so sick!!  I felt like death and got very dehydrated... my poor son had fevers of 105.. and DH got a secondary infection and was sick for over a month! Ugh! Learned our lesson! LOL

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM
I got a flu shot when my dd was like 2 months old, then when she was like a year and a half, then 2 and a half, and haven't personally experienced a supply issue w it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I haven't ever had supply issues following a flu shot and I've had 4 while nursing.  I'm more concerned about what's going on with your supply right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN