Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you get ahead on pumping?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have been trying to pump my way to a better supply for a few weeks now. At the most I get 2 oz, but lately its been less. I BF every 2 hours on average and have been trying to pump in between. My 6 week old is not amused. It took me three sittings and 2 hours total to pump the measly 3.5 oz I just bottle fed her because after nursing twice in 90 minutes she was completely unconsolable with hunger. It was gone in 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. I'm getting on a plane in 6 days and have absolutely no milk stocked up because she isn't getting enough when I pump as well. I thought this was supposed to boost your supply? I've spent $400 on two different pumps thinking maybe that was the problem, but aparenly its me. Now what? I don't want to take formula on every vacation. 

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucaslexie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM
What kind of pump?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

With my son I made a point to pump every night before bed (after he went to bed) it was when he slept the longest so there was still plenty of milk when he woke.... my body also learned that there was a demand at that time and I started making more for that pumping session.

I haven't started to stock up this time yet (I don't go back to work until November)... but I am pumping as I can't get a comfortable latch on the right side... so I am just pumping and bottle feeding that side... I find that doing breast compressions helps a lot... and distraction helps too... like pumping while watching TV or messing around on here.  I joined the pumping group on cafemom too and they talk about something called power pumping... where you pump for like 10 mins, then off for 10, then pump again for 10... and do that for an hour... it's supposed to increase your supply.... I started doing that on my right side yesterday.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Why are you pumping? the best way to boost supple is to keep baby on the breast and not stop nursing. 6 weeks is a growth spurt and baby NEEDS to stay at the breast and not get bottles. JUST NURSE! bottles and pumped milk is not needed unless you will be away from baby

Oh and 2 ounces is the high side of normal for pump output and pump output means nothing about supply since baby is like 10 times better then a pump will every be. 

Just let baby nurse on demand, when baby wants for as long as baby wants. When baby pops off burp and switch sides and keep repeating.

Oh and as long as you are changing 6 diapers in 24 hours then baby is getting enough. Baby are not to be satisfied. Fussing and crying and acting hungry are natural and normal and what controls supply

XVAmomma
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM
You are suposed to pump about an ounce - ounce and half for 15 minutes of pumping. Pumping 30 minutes won't double that amount simply because the way a pump stimulates your mamary glands isn't the way a baby does... so with the pump you are only expressing milk not producing milk.

Building up a bank isn't easy but it is do-able. Breastfeed on demand an pump one breast while baby is latch to the other. then pump both in between feedings.

Now why do you think your baby is still hungry after one session? Maybe changing breast instead of providing the pumped milk is what will help you.

Also drink a lot. Good stuff no sodas, alcohol or coffee...water, fresh juice and tea is the better choice. When I am pumping I keep a gallon of water near and make sure I down it every 3 hrs.

The other thing that works for me is pumping even when it isn't necesary but on a schedule. I pump every 2 hours baby is ready to eat or not. So if I wake up at 6am I pump then again at 8 and at 10 and at noon and so on till 10pm when I go to bed. I allow myself to sleep when my baby sleeps so I don't pump at night but I do get up and feed him if he wants to.

Last question why are you pumping? From your post it seems like you are going on vacation and bringing LO along ... so why not latch her every time she wants to eat?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

What makes you think you need  a better supply?? Pumping is not the best way to up a supply if it is low though, nursing is. 2 oz is the high end of normal, so you would be hard pressed to get more & when your supply evens out it will probably go down anyway. Normal pump output is .5-2 oz total from both breasts per session. 3.5 oz after nursing is overfeeding!!On full  feeding is 3 oz! Baby is 6 weeks, which is  a huge growth spurt & it's totally normal for them to act like starving hyenas.  YOU should also never be the oen giving the bottles. How do you know she's not getting enough?? Only way to tell is to count diapers, if you change 6 you're getting enough. Are you leaving her for your vacation??  She only needs 1-1.25 oz per hour she's away from you in bottles no larger than 3 oz & the caregiver needs to know how to bottle feed a breastfed baby, it's NOT the same as a formula baby. Also while gone you WILL have to pump every 2 hrs to preserve your supply.(around the clock). If you're taking her with you then why not just nurse?

Quoting Shenaide:

I have been trying to pump my way to a better supply for a few weeks now. At the most I get 2 oz, but lately its been less. I BF every 2 hours on average and have been trying to pump in between. My 6 week old is not amused. It took me three sittings and 2 hours total to pump the measly 3.5 oz I just bottle fed her because after nursing twice in 90 minutes she was completely unconsolable with hunger. It was gone in 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. I'm getting on a plane in 6 days and have absolutely no milk stocked up because she isn't getting enough when I pump as well. I thought this was supposed to boost your supply? I've spent $400 on two different pumps thinking maybe that was the problem, but aparenly its me. Now what? I don't want to take formula on every vacation. 

mama02040608
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Baby is going through a growth spurt @6 weeks. Behavior is normal. So is your output based on also fully BF at the same time :) Just nurse your baby. You don't need to bring formula and you don't need to have pumped bottles for vacation. Just nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Quoting Shenaide:

I have been trying to pump my way to a better supply for a few weeks now.

If supply is perfect, pumping won't do anything. If you're changing plenty of dipes, supply is perfect.

At the most I get 2 oz, but lately its been less.

Normal.

I BF every 2 hours on average and have been trying to pump in between. My 6 week old is not amused. It took me three sittings and 2 hours total to pump the measly 3.5 oz I just bottle fed her because after nursing twice in 90 minutes she was completely unconsolable with hunger.

That goes with being six weeks. Just leave her on the breast, really. Six week olds are only slightly more pleasant than three week olds, and one of our moms lieks to say she'd rather nurse a honey badger than a three week old.

It was gone in 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. I'm getting on a plane in 6 days and have absolutely no milk stocked up because she isn't getting enough when I pump as well. I thought this was supposed to boost your supply? I've spent $400 on two different pumps thinking maybe that was the problem, but aparenly its me. Now what? I don't want to take formula on every vacation. 

Just put her to breast. leave her there, NO TIMING. If you're changing six dipes a day you're already perfect.

Don't look for happy OR satisfied. Newborns aren't programmed to do either.

Shenaide
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I'm pumping because its a 2 day drive to where I am from and the hubby is at a training base (military family) right now. Sometimes I am in the middle of the grocery store and she is suddenly awake and starving and I can't exactly leave the cart every time she is hungry. I am all by myself. When the hubby was here I just gave him the list and went out to the car, no big deal. But errands take a lot longer with a baby and if a store is busy I don't want to make her wait forever. A couple times it was 3-4 hours before I got to feed her again and that is just too long. I would rather have it and not need it. Especially in a month when I drive home. My dad will be with, so if there isnt a safe place to pull over, we can give her something to tide her over.

justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It's okay to nurse in the store. If you're not comfortable without a cover, use a cover, or a blanket. Feeding bottles in place of nursing will eventually hurt your supply. Unless you're pumping while baby takes a bottle, you could be harming your supply.

I wouldn't feed the baby in the carseat, as that's a choking hazard. We took my daughter on an eight hour trip when she was five months old. It took 11 hours, because we had to stop to nurse. There's really no way around it. Traveling with an infant sucks.

justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM

The only way to ensure supply is to count diapers. Pump output is not at all indicative of supply. You need six diapers per 24 hour period. If you have those, there is no supply issue.

The first few months are tough. Babies this young seem to always be pissy and difficult. As long as you're seeing diapers, her being an upset little creature is normal. HUGS. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN