Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms may see stronger warnings on formula

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636

MOTHERS may see stronger official warnings on baby formula labels about the risks of not breastfeeding.

The nation's food watchdog is seeking feedback on whether "breast is best" messages should be changed to clearly spell out the health benefits of breast versus bottle.

But the Infant Nutrition Council fears more confronting statements will make mothers using formula feel anxious and "second rate".

Under current law, manufacturers point out that "Breast milk is best for babies. Before you decide to use this product, consult your doctor or health worker for advice".

Food Standards Australia New Zealand deputy CEO Melanie Fisher said some public health experts had suggested altering labels amid concern over poor breastfeeding rates.

"Some stakeholders have suggested that the breast is best warning statement be amended to a risk-based statement about the risks to infant health of not breastfeeding," a consultation paper notes.

"These stakeholders state that such a statement would reflect a body of evidence showing that compared to formula feeding, breastfeeding is associated with lower incidence of infection and some chronic diseases, and evidence for improved cognitive development in the breastfed infant."

FSANZ is calling for submissions ahead of a review of infant formula regulations next year.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association says that despite recommendations to breastfeed babies exclusively for six months, less than one in five children are solely breastfed by the time they are at that age.

Infant Nutrition Council chief executive officer Jan Carey said that while breastfeeding was the "ultimate form of nutrition" and a "magical substance", scientifically-based infant formulas were not dangerous.

"I certainly agree that mothers should be able to make an informed choice. It is also important that mothers are not made to feel anxious," Ms Carey said.

"It's unfair if mothers are made to feel second rate." Lack of support at home or in the workplace, concerns about not producing enough milk, and difficulty breastfeeding were key reasons for using formula.

Dr Jennifer James, a senior lecturer in nursing and midwifery at RMIT University, said breast milk provided immunity and childhood obesity protection, and improved brain, oral and eye development.

Infant formula was vulnerable to production errors and contamination if not properly prepared, she said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636#ixzz27uHG2Zpv

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM
5 moms liked this

Well...for me I have a strong belief that formula is a second rate form of feeding a child.  I personally do bot believe it's a "healthy form of nutrition".  I view it as a man made concoction that can sustain a human body.  Hey, you want to you use it and think it's okay for your child?  Go right ahead but because you have that choice doesn't mean I should think it's a great choice.  

I also can't stand it when people say we shouldn't judge.  Now I'm not about to go tell a mom she's disgusting for formula feeding but I have the right to think a mom who makes a choice to formula feed over breastfeeding isn't putting her child first.  If you aren't okay with me thinking that...you are now judging me.  So do you see why it's ridiculous to say we shouldn't judge?  

I think it's crazy that as women we walk around rejoicing in our ability to make a choice like that's some great thing.  I can make the choice to feed my baby the best nutrition on the planet or I can make the choice to feed my baby something that man created in a lab and will keep my baby alive...yay for choice.  Our choice should be that we push for more support and assistance with breastfeeding.  Our choice should be that we encourage the government and employers to provide mothers with adequate  time off after having a baby so that more moms can be successful in breastfeeding.  Our choice should be to find ways to make lactation consultants readily available to all moms and covered by insurance.  Our choice should be to have breast-pumps available to moms who need it.  Our choice should be about more options that enable our babies to get what they are supposed to get.  Nature never intended for them to get formula.  Let's be honest...they are supposed to get breastmilk and anything other than breastmilk is not giving them the best.

This is NOTHING against those who truly can't breastfeed.  This is also nothing against those who tried and due to lack of support, education and resources were not successful.  It is this last group of women we need to fight for by making the choice to push for better rules and laws to support breastfeeding so they had a better chance of success.

Quoting degsyuna:

I don't get all of the formula bashing. It's a completely valid, healthy form of nutrition. I breastfed my first and second children and am currently breastfeeding my fourth. With my third we did formula because my work was just too demanding to be able to take the time to pump. He is just as healthy and intelligent as my others and very bonded and affectionate.

I decided to breastfeed this one despite how stressful it can be to fit pumping in at work because I missed the breastfeeding experience. I'm fully confident that my son would be just as happy, loved, healthy, and smart if I had chosen to formula feed.

I think people need to just respect others' decisions and not judge unless someone is doing something actually harmful.

asaffell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You injected the stupidity thing - that was nowhere to be found in my original comment and I won't take any ownership in YOUR interpretation that I did. All I said was that it would aid in informed consent because not everyone (1) has access to the information or (2) knows that they NEED to research it because they've just made an assumption that it is safe.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I agree that there needs to be better labeling, with FDA info. My issue with the statement the woman I responded to made it seem that people are to stupid to do research and therefore buy formula for that reason. Someone who is not willing to do the research is not going to spend the time to read a can. I agree that people do eat and do things that affect the fetus that they should not. Those are the same people that will breast feed even though they do not pump for the needed time to remove it from the breastmilk.

Quoting gdiamante:

Where is the label on your vagina or belly saying your womb is the optimal environment for growing a child? After all, you can ingest things that are not good for a fetus. How are you sure you're NOT ingesting something hamrful to the fetus? By reading the labels of the products you ingest, correct? The same care applies while breastfeeding. The nice thing is that the breast DOES filter and the pregnancy restrictions are gone. Big difference between processed through the body and breast and straight from the bloodstream.

It should be noted that Annaica's article is not about US labeling. And actually, what I would want to see on a fomrula can is a label regarding the FDA's guidelines for manufacturing, including the acceptable minimums for contamination. That said, I'd want that for ALL food labels.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

So I will ask a third time first time for you, where is the label located on your breast to prove it. If breast was able to filter as well as you beloved no child would get anything harmful through breast milk that includes alcohol drugs preservatives. I am all for breast feeding I think all women should do it if they can. However you do not have a medical degree and therefore have to hope that those that do are right. Just remember people will find what they want to make themselves feel better.

asaffell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, pumping does not remove anything from breastmilk. Breasts filter milk constantly. Time is what removes contaminants from breastmilk.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Which substances do you believe a woman needs to pump after?

That is a huge myth that we can debunk for you, should you want to know.

Most medications (both OTC and RX) are fine, as is alcohol and caffeine in moderate doses, cigarettes are OK too without pumping. Not optimal but still ranked higher than formula. Even mother's with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to breastfeed.

Kellymom.com lists and explains all references by an IBCLC.

Who.org has a lot of breastfeeding studies you may be interested in also.

There is very, very few things you would have to pump and dump because of so if you are willing to learn, we can help. :)

The book by Dr. Thomas Hale called "Medication and Mother's Milk" is a wealth of information that you may be interested in.

His website is called The Infant Risk Center and has a phone line for mothers to call and get the information on medications and other substances at 806-352-2519 from Monday to Friday 8a-5p. I have it programmed in my phone, just in case.

You can also use the lactmed app on a smartphone to see which medications are safe, as it comes from the Infant Risk Center's database.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I agree that there needs to be better labeling, with FDA info. My issue with the statement the woman I responded to made it seem that people are to stupid to do research and therefore buy formula for that reason. Someone who is not willing to do the research is not going to spend the time to read a can. I agree that people do eat and do things that affect the fetus that they should not. Those are the same people that will breast feed even though they do not pump for the needed time to remove it from the breastmilk.

Quoting gdiamante:

Where is the label on your vagina or belly saying your womb is the optimal environment for growing a child? After all, you can ingest things that are not good for a fetus. How are you sure you're NOT ingesting something hamrful to the fetus? By reading the labels of the products you ingest, correct? The same care applies while breastfeeding. The nice thing is that the breast DOES filter and the pregnancy restrictions are gone. Big difference between processed through the body and breast and straight from the bloodstream.

It should be noted that Annaica's article is not about US labeling. And actually, what I would want to see on a fomrula can is a label regarding the FDA's guidelines for manufacturing, including the acceptable minimums for contamination. That said, I'd want that for ALL food labels.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

So I will ask a third time first time for you, where is the label located on your breast to prove it. If breast was able to filter as well as you beloved no child would get anything harmful through breast milk that includes alcohol drugs preservatives. I am all for breast feeding I think all women should do it if they can. However you do not have a medical degree and therefore have to hope that those that do are right. Just remember people will find what they want to make themselves feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I agree that there needs to be better labeling, with FDA info. My issue with the statement the woman I responded to made it seem that people are to stupid to do research and therefore buy formula for that reason.
Not so much "too stupid," although believe me there are people who are that way... but rather too complacent. They won't learn something unless it's pushed into their faces.
I'm all for banning pregnant women from Babies R Us till they've passed a child care and nutrition course; the certificate of completion is your ticket. Of course, that's not going to happen.
Someone who is not willing to do the research is not going to spend the time to read a can.
They're les likely to do so, but putting the info there is better than NOT putting the info there. 
A lot of people assume things are safe because they're sold in stores. Cigarettes, for example.
I agree that people do eat and do things that affect the fetus that they should not. Those are the same people that will breast feed even though they do not pump for the needed time to remove it from the breastmilk.
You don't need to pump to remove things from breastmilk. Pump and dump is practically NEVER needed; the air baby is breathing is generally more dangerous! There are a few rare times but they are EXTREMELY rare. The most common: Mom getting stinko drunk. THAT is a dangerous situation and pumping is needed for mom's comfrt till she's no longer stinko.
savannabooker
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that training doctors and nurses better needs to also go along with putting a label on formula. If our nurses and doctors were more informed on breast feeding mothers would be informed from the get go instead of after birth when they feel helpless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
degsyuna
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM
The labels on formula already say that breastmilk is best and that you should consult a physician prior to using formula. What else really needs to be said?

Quoting lazycervix:

Some women don't have access to research *aka a computer* how do you expect them to get this information? Maybe many would read the label because they don't have access to anything else.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Lol, I agree about babies r us. It amazes me how many people.think that just because it is sold in the baby store/section it is the best for a child

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I agree that there needs to be better labeling, with FDA info. My issue with the statement the woman I responded to made it seem that people are to stupid to do research and therefore buy formula for that reason.
Not so much "too stupid," although believe me there are people who are that way... but rather too complacent. They won't learn something unless it's pushed into their faces.
I'm all for banning pregnant women from Babies R Us till they've passed a child care and nutrition course; the certificate of completion is your ticket. Of course, that's not going to happen.
Someone who is not willing to do the research is not going to spend the time to read a can.
They're les likely to do so, but putting the info there is better than NOT putting the info there. 
A lot of people assume things are safe because they're sold in stores. Cigarettes, for example.
I agree that people do eat and do things that affect the fetus that they should not. Those are the same people that will breast feed even though they do not pump for the needed time to remove it from the breastmilk.
You don't need to pump to remove things from breastmilk. Pump and dump is practically NEVER needed; the air baby is breathing is generally more dangerous! There are a few rare times but they are EXTREMELY rare. The most common: Mom getting stinko drunk. THAT is a dangerous situation and pumping is needed for mom's comfrt till she's no longer stinko.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The label also says closer to breast milk than ever lol. They should be labeled with a warning just like children's tylenol 

Quoting degsyuna:

The labels on formula already say that breastmilk is best and that you should consult a physician prior to using formula. What else really needs to be said?

Quoting lazycervix:

Some women don't have access to research *aka a computer* how do you expect them to get this information? Maybe many would read the label because they don't have access to anything else.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this

YES YES YES!

And this stuff should be part of sex education, which should be MANDATORY with NO opt-outs.

Quoting savannabooker:

I think that training doctors and nurses better needs to also go along with putting a label on formula. If our nurses and doctors were more informed on breast feeding mothers would be informed from the get go instead of after birth when they feel helpless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)