Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

moms may see stronger warnings on formula

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636

MOTHERS may see stronger official warnings on baby formula labels about the risks of not breastfeeding.

The nation's food watchdog is seeking feedback on whether "breast is best" messages should be changed to clearly spell out the health benefits of breast versus bottle.

But the Infant Nutrition Council fears more confronting statements will make mothers using formula feel anxious and "second rate".

Under current law, manufacturers point out that "Breast milk is best for babies. Before you decide to use this product, consult your doctor or health worker for advice".

Food Standards Australia New Zealand deputy CEO Melanie Fisher said some public health experts had suggested altering labels amid concern over poor breastfeeding rates.

"Some stakeholders have suggested that the breast is best warning statement be amended to a risk-based statement about the risks to infant health of not breastfeeding," a consultation paper notes.

"These stakeholders state that such a statement would reflect a body of evidence showing that compared to formula feeding, breastfeeding is associated with lower incidence of infection and some chronic diseases, and evidence for improved cognitive development in the breastfed infant."

FSANZ is calling for submissions ahead of a review of infant formula regulations next year.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association says that despite recommendations to breastfeed babies exclusively for six months, less than one in five children are solely breastfed by the time they are at that age.

Infant Nutrition Council chief executive officer Jan Carey said that while breastfeeding was the "ultimate form of nutrition" and a "magical substance", scientifically-based infant formulas were not dangerous.

"I certainly agree that mothers should be able to make an informed choice. It is also important that mothers are not made to feel anxious," Ms Carey said.

"It's unfair if mothers are made to feel second rate." Lack of support at home or in the workplace, concerns about not producing enough milk, and difficulty breastfeeding were key reasons for using formula.

Dr Jennifer James, a senior lecturer in nursing and midwifery at RMIT University, said breast milk provided immunity and childhood obesity protection, and improved brain, oral and eye development.

Infant formula was vulnerable to production errors and contamination if not properly prepared, she said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636#ixzz27uHG2Zpv

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
Titana
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM
I would like to see that. I think it is a woman's choice but they should be informed first. My mil does not think bfing is best or even worth it at all. My sil ff her two boys because she did not know the benefits of bfing at all. I just think all should be made aware.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyPhoenix11
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it is an amazing idea to have risks printed on the can. I am a young mother(19,18 when I had DD) and would have loved to see it there in the beginning when I struggled to start nursing and my DF said to give our baby formula because it was just as good. I did and still do breastfeed(going on 16 months!), but I think many more women would nurse their children or seek out the help to nurse their babies if they actually saw the cold hard facts about the risks involved with formula. Many women do not know these facts and do not realize the amount of help that is out there, my mother is one of them. It broke my heart to see her struggle to nurse my siblings only to fail because she "thought" she wasn't making enough. If this information were on that can of formula, maybe she would have been able to nurse my siblings successfully,she was uneducated with both formula and breastmilk but maybe those facts would have pushed her to research. I have nothing against formula, but I think the number of nursing moms would increase greatly if there were even just a little more information on that can or tub of formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
lol this is cool :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

And a labelled breast, per your request. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
My kids will be opting out, if they go to a public school. I feel that it is my job to give my kids sex Ed, not a schools. (We homeschool, so I doubt it will be an issue...) I went to public, but the only sex Ed class I went to was in 5th grade. I have had one healthy sexual relationship with one man my entire life. I knew what nursing was, and have nursed every one of my children. I learned from my mother/family about babies and hubby and I learned sex together.

I don't feel like human lactation should be sex Ed, but rather human nutrition. But, this is just me, I know there are lots of people in the world who don't educate their kids.

Quoting gdiamante:

YES YES YES!

And this stuff should be part of sex education, which should be MANDATORY with NO opt-outs.

Quoting savannabooker:

I think that training doctors and nurses better needs to also go along with putting a label on formula. If our nurses and doctors were more informed on breast feeding mothers would be informed from the get go instead of after birth when they feel helpless.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and a spin-off of human lactation and your avatar......

Hubby and I just got done with all of the Doctor Who episodes on Netflix. In the episode where Melody gets stolen, and the Soltaran said he was genetically modified to excrete copious amount of "lactic fluid" cracked me up!!! I thought if this group- and you! The looks on rory and Amy's faces were hilarious!!! Great actors.

Quoting gdiamante:

YES YES YES!

And this stuff should be part of sex education, which should be MANDATORY with NO opt-outs.

Quoting savannabooker:

I think that training doctors and nurses better needs to also go along with putting a label on formula. If our nurses and doctors were more informed on breast feeding mothers would be informed from the get go instead of after birth when they feel helpless.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this
In the surgeon generals call to breastfeeding he backs up the risks of formula usage by giving %a and studies proving them as references. If the surgeon general is giving warnings against formula why is it not on the can? Its on cigs! Sure formula is a necessity for about 3% max of the population and those moms should not feel bad at all because the choice was taken from them. Should a mom feel bad when her child is allergic to cows milk products so must drink soy...knowing the risks of feeding soy? Nope. Its what she had to do. Should she feel bad because her sick child needs medication? Nope its what she had to do. If a mom feels she has to formula feed then she should be aware of the risk but not feel guilt.

I trusted my doctor(who was taking kickbacks from enfamil) and my family and friends when they told me formula wasnt much different from bm and had me start ffing. No one gave me any clue there were risks. Ten years ago the info wasnt out there like it is now and i did what i thought was right. If i had been told the risks i wouldve worked hars to make bfing work because i could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting maggiandmike:

My kids will be opting out, if they go to a public school. I feel that it is my job to give my kids sex Ed, not a schools.
Unfortunately too many parents have NO IDEA how their bodies work. Sex is BIOLOGY, nothing more than that. There's nothing at all moral about egg meets sperm. If biology was about morality, then the lambs would be eating the lions.
(We homeschool, so I doubt it will be an issue...) I went to public, but the only sex Ed class I went to was in 5th grade. I have had one healthy sexual relationship with one man my entire life. I knew what nursing was, and have nursed every one of my children. I learned from my mother/family about babies and hubby and I learned sex together. 

I don't feel like human lactation should be sex Ed, but rather human nutrition. But, this is just me, I know there are lots of people in the world who don't educate their kids.

And this is why it needs to be taught in school. It's science, nothing more than that. 
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM
It won't matter. Have you ever seen the numbers drop w/any product just because they have added these warnings....Nope I certainly haven't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love to see this happen!

shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:50 AM
I nursed my DD for 22 months and I worked out of the home. Granted it was part time because that was what worked for my family but she still went to daycare one day a week.

Quoting degsyuna:

But the problem is that there is question as to whether the "risks" of formula feeding are actually caused by formula or by other factors.

Yes, some studies show higher IQs and better grades for children who were breastfed. But are those the result of "magic milk" or because children who were breastfed tend to come from higher-income families or homes with a sahm where they have better access to resources to perform better in school?

Same with the health benefits. Is it the antibodies given through breastmilk or kids not having to spend all day at a germy daycare that results in better health?

I am pro-breastfeeding, I think it's a great thing for moms and babies. I just don't feel that the way to increase breastfeeding rates is by trying to scare women into doing it. The best way would be to improve conditions for working mothers so that breastfeeding isn't such a daunting option. When you can only afford a week or two of maternity leave and then you face an uncompromising boss who makes it difficult for you to breastfeed while still abiding by the letter of the law, formula feeding is a really attractive option and no one should treat you poorly for deciding to go that direction.

The law requiring companies to provide a non-bathroom location for pumping was a big factor in my decision to pump for this child. I'd done the pump in a bathroom stall thing with my daughter and it was so awful that I lost my milk in a matter of weeks. Pumping is still stressful and hard but the situation is much better now. I think moms and legislators need to work together to improve conditions for everyone no matter how they choose to feed their children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)