Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

moms may see stronger warnings on formula

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636

MOTHERS may see stronger official warnings on baby formula labels about the risks of not breastfeeding.

The nation's food watchdog is seeking feedback on whether "breast is best" messages should be changed to clearly spell out the health benefits of breast versus bottle.

But the Infant Nutrition Council fears more confronting statements will make mothers using formula feel anxious and "second rate".

Under current law, manufacturers point out that "Breast milk is best for babies. Before you decide to use this product, consult your doctor or health worker for advice".

Food Standards Australia New Zealand deputy CEO Melanie Fisher said some public health experts had suggested altering labels amid concern over poor breastfeeding rates.

"Some stakeholders have suggested that the breast is best warning statement be amended to a risk-based statement about the risks to infant health of not breastfeeding," a consultation paper notes.

"These stakeholders state that such a statement would reflect a body of evidence showing that compared to formula feeding, breastfeeding is associated with lower incidence of infection and some chronic diseases, and evidence for improved cognitive development in the breastfed infant."

FSANZ is calling for submissions ahead of a review of infant formula regulations next year.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association says that despite recommendations to breastfeed babies exclusively for six months, less than one in five children are solely breastfed by the time they are at that age.

Infant Nutrition Council chief executive officer Jan Carey said that while breastfeeding was the "ultimate form of nutrition" and a "magical substance", scientifically-based infant formulas were not dangerous.

"I certainly agree that mothers should be able to make an informed choice. It is also important that mothers are not made to feel anxious," Ms Carey said.

"It's unfair if mothers are made to feel second rate." Lack of support at home or in the workplace, concerns about not producing enough milk, and difficulty breastfeeding were key reasons for using formula.

Dr Jennifer James, a senior lecturer in nursing and midwifery at RMIT University, said breast milk provided immunity and childhood obesity protection, and improved brain, oral and eye development.

Infant formula was vulnerable to production errors and contamination if not properly prepared, she said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/breast-milk-experts-seek-right-formula/story-fnet08ck-1226482119636#ixzz27uHG2Zpv

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Replies (61-70):
Gruntlings
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
8 moms liked this

It's not about making people feel "second rate". It is about informed consent.

Infant formula is a medical intervention. Infants are NOT MEANT TO EAT ANYTHING OTHER THAN BREASTMILK and formula was created as an alternative in order to keep babies alive. It has BECOME another form of infant food, but it has risks.

Informed consent is always a good thing.

If information makes you "feel guilty", it comes from a lack of security in choices or from having a choice forced upon you without the chance for INFORMED CONSENT. Unfortunately someone's right to "feel good" does not outweigh another person's right to informed consent.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I care

(1) because I think all mom's and children deserve a chance at normal. We all know it's "best" but that word really means little to me. No one can be best all the time, but we all like being normal. So we need to make breastfeeding normal, because it is normal.

(2) It would save us all money and lives. 911 children die from unnecessary formula use. That's devastating. :'( If 90% of mom's EBF for 6 months the US would save 13 billion dollars in just healthcare costs alone. Those are two huge reasons for the public to care.

This affects us all. That's why a lot of us care. It's not that we mean to be judgemental, most of us in here, honest to goodness, truly *care*. It reads as judgey because you can't sense feeling through words but a lot of us, me, for sure, just want to help. Know what I mean?

I don't think that those stares will ever go away: if it's not giving a bottle, it's using a cover, if it not using a cover, it's having your baby shoeless, if it's not shoeless, it's because they're in a stroller, if it's not that, it's something else. That's something that'll end as long as you're a mom.

Quoting Nolanzo:

I am not sure but I'm certain she's following her doctors advice... and I always tell myself that medicine is a practice rather than an exact science, so of course is a matter of opinion. My whole point was that she was comfortable with her decision to use formula and I guess I just got defensive FOR her during a few instances of rude comments and sideways glares. THATS the part that drives me nuts about this whole thing.

The point that people can be so utterly judgy without knowing the reason (or lack thereof... who cares?) For formula use... gr.

That is all :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Where did she get told that the medication would harm her child through her milk?

Most doctors/pharmacists just say no when in fact it is ok. She can call the Infant Risk Center for the truth on any medication's affect on breastfeeding. 1 (806) 352-2519.

The WHO does recommend for HIV pos mothers to breastfeed at least a year while on her medications. We see it a lot in here that a dr said no to a medication when it is actually fine.

Does she know that she can make her own formula which is healthier because it's less processed?

The Weston A. Price has a lot formula options. A lot of people have no clue that you can make it at home. This would be my choice before commercial formula.

I'm sorry your friend is sick! I hate hearing that! :( I wish her all the best! And you're right! She should not feel guilty about using formula. In her situation, I don't know what I would do, but I know I would want a supportive friend like you. :) I would definitely question my ability to breastfeed, and I would look at all my options. Where I live donor milk is a rare find. :/ Hopefully soon donor milk will be more common.

Quoting Nolanzo:

I think its tragic to make mothers who are physically not ABLE to breastfeed feel like their only option is inferior and that their babies will surely not be as healthy as a result. That absolutey sucks.

A good friend of mine had her third and final child last spring. She is HIV positive. There are not many people in her life who know this fact... and the backlash and comments that she had to deal with was awful.
*and I'm sure at least one of you will chime in that mothers with HIV should still breastfeed... before you do that.... it is the daily drug regimen that she is on that renders her milk unsafe. The simple fact is that she cant, and I feel horribly that she was made to feel like shit because of it. This is an intelligent educated woman with a law degree. Imagine how painfully aware she is that she had to use formula.

I think we ALL KNOW breast is best.... pounding it in to everyones skulls even when they can't is unfair. I'm all for proper labelling in the cans... but it is a slippery slope to start making statements about its inferiority as factual in regards to IQ, etc... when the fact remains that thousands of healthy, intelligent children are raised on formula each year. I respect others decisions even though I'm a HUGE bf advocate. I just don't feel its necessary to condescend to formula feeding mothers, whatever their reasons are. Its none of my business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
No... I didn't mean not caring in general... I meant that I don't personally invest enoguh of my time into delving into why any paeticular mom does or not not bf... know what I mean? So when I say 'who cares' I'm not meaning I don't give a poo about bf in general I most certainly do! What I mean is I take their reason if its offered, shrug my shoulders and move on. That's about as much effort as I can put in to being concerned about others choices, because me not agreeing is not going to change it. I hope you can understand the distinction? Sometimes I'm not very articulate in trying to express myself :)

And I know... dealing with judgeyness in all aspects of parenthood is something that just sucks all the way around.. I agree and that was xactly my original point. If we moms would just knock that kind of behavior off and start supporting each other more, we might be better off.
Bottom line: yes, proper labelling and warning is of course necessary. I just hope they word it with sensitivity if they do... because, as the article states, while its important for parents to have accurate and complete information its also important for moms who can't bf to not feel anxious and scared.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I care

(1) because I think all mom's and children deserve a chance at normal. We all know it's "best" but that word really means little to me. No one can be best all the time, but we all like being normal. So we need to make breastfeeding normal, because it is normal.

(2) It would save us all money and lives. 911 children die from unnecessary formula use. That's devastating. :'( If 90% of mom's EBF for 6 months the US would save 13 billion dollars in just healthcare costs alone. Those are two huge reasons for the public to care.

This affects us all. That's why a lot of us care. It's not that we mean to be judgemental, most of us in here, honest to goodness, truly *care*. It reads as judgey because you can't sense feeling through words but a lot of us, me, for sure, just want to help. Know what I mean?

I don't think that those stares will ever go away: if it's not giving a bottle, it's using a cover, if it not using a cover, it's having your baby shoeless, if it's not shoeless, it's because they're in a stroller, if it's not that, it's something else. That's something that'll end as long as you're a mom.

Quoting Nolanzo:

I am not sure but I'm certain she's following her doctors advice... and I always tell myself that medicine is a practice rather than an exact science, so of course is a matter of opinion. My whole point was that she was comfortable with her decision to use formula and I guess I just got defensive FOR her during a few instances of rude comments and sideways glares. THATS the part that drives me nuts about this whole thing.

The point that people can be so utterly judgy without knowing the reason (or lack thereof... who cares?) For formula use... gr.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Where did she get told that the medication would harm her child through her milk?

Most doctors/pharmacists just say no when in fact it is ok. She can call the Infant Risk Center for the truth on any medication's affect on breastfeeding. 1 (806) 352-2519.

The WHO does recommend for HIV pos mothers to breastfeed at least a year while on her medications. We see it a lot in here that a dr said no to a medication when it is actually fine.

Does she know that she can make her own formula which is healthier because it's less processed?

The Weston A. Price has a lot formula options. A lot of people have no clue that you can make it at home. This would be my choice before commercial formula.

I'm sorry your friend is sick! I hate hearing that! :( I wish her all the best! And you're right! She should not feel guilty about using formula. In her situation, I don't know what I would do, but I know I would want a supportive friend like you. :) I would definitely question my ability to breastfeed, and I would look at all my options. Where I live donor milk is a rare find. :/ Hopefully soon donor milk will be more common.

Quoting Nolanzo:

I think its tragic to make mothers who are physically not ABLE to breastfeed feel like their only option is inferior and that their babies will surely not be as healthy as a result. That absolutey sucks.

A good friend of mine had her third and final child last spring. She is HIV positive. There are not many people in her life who know this fact... and the backlash and comments that she had to deal with was awful.
*and I'm sure at least one of you will chime in that mothers with HIV should still breastfeed... before you do that.... it is the daily drug regimen that she is on that renders her milk unsafe. The simple fact is that she cant, and I feel horribly that she was made to feel like shit because of it. This is an intelligent educated woman with a law degree. Imagine how painfully aware she is that she had to use formula.

I think we ALL KNOW breast is best.... pounding it in to everyones skulls even when they can't is unfair. I'm all for proper labelling in the cans... but it is a slippery slope to start making statements about its inferiority as factual in regards to IQ, etc... when the fact remains that thousands of healthy, intelligent children are raised on formula each year. I respect others decisions even though I'm a HUGE bf advocate. I just don't feel its necessary to condescend to formula feeding mothers, whatever their reasons are. Its none of my business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah! I gotcha! And I'm right there with you! I'll spread the word, and put it out there that I'm here for help and support but I'm not gonna beat down anyone's door. It's ultimately up to the mom to do the research.
Having it right there in black and white, I think would be helpful.

Quoting Nolanzo:

No... I didn't mean not caring in general... I meant that I don't personally invest enoguh of my time into delving into why any paeticular mom does or not not bf... know what I mean? So when I say 'who cares' I'm not meaning I don't give a poo about bf in general I most certainly do! What I mean is I take their reason if its offered, shrug my shoulders and move on. That's about as much effort as I can put in to being concerned about others choices, because me not agreeing is not going to change it. I hope you can understand the distinction? Sometimes I'm not very articulate in trying to express myself :)

And I know... dealing with judgeyness in all aspects of parenthood is something that just sucks all the way around.. I agree and that was xactly my original point. If we moms would just knock that kind of behavior off and start supporting each other more, we might be better off.

Bottom line: yes, proper labelling and warning is of course necessary. I just hope they word it with sensitivity if they do... because, as the article states, while its important for parents to have accurate and complete information its also important for moms who can't bf to not feel anxious and scared.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I care

Quoting Nolanzo:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting Nolanzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM
I totally understand mama. It's definitely a tough situation for those who truly wanted nothing more than to nurse their baby's. I guess we'll see? :)

Quoting Nolanzo:

I hear you, and I will retract the eye rolling :)

Thank you for having a discussion with me without devolving in to you know what as it so often does.

As I said from the get-go, I feel like proper warnings of risks vs. Benefits are absolutely necessary in order to make an educated decision about what will work best for you. What I am having a *slight hesitency* about is the risk-style label because, after all, wording can be taken out of context and as an emotional, hormonal post-partum mom... I can easily see how one might take the statement "babies who are formula fed face a higher risk of lower iq and obesity" ... I might take that as "if you do not breastfeed your baby will be fat and dumb". OBVIOUSLY that is not what they're saying but I can't help feeling like attitudes CAN reflect that and I am just particularly sensitive to this from personal experience.... :)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Not many mothers know that donor milk is an option, which is why I mentioned it. I'm not being judgmental, and no where did I mention anything about moms who don't try enough, so there's no need for eye rolling or a debate. I was addressing the famous "stop condescending ff moms" that always pops up every single time breastfeeding and formula feeding is mentioned. If someone makes an informed choice to ff, that is their choice, own up to it . If a mom tried to breastfeed, or is just physically unable to, why be offended over something that is truly out of your control? Facts are facts are facts. I wasn't assuming anything, nor was I judging, nor was I looking down on anyone (and if it appeared that way, trust me it wasn't supposed to).

Quoting Nolanzo:

Did I not JUST say that I am all for labelling cans properly? Yeah... of course don't label medicine bottle either *rolls eyes*
Give me a break. And why assume that any mom who is using formula didnt first try to acquire donor milk? Too many people assume no effort was made... and THAT is the problem I have. Not with the can labelling itself... sorry if I didn't specify that before. If were talking about moms who are intent on ff despite knowing the risks, their minds aren't going to change anyway and all I'm saying is respect others decision and stop assuming that they could or should have done it differently. Not you personally but you in general :)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If I was physically unable to breastfeed, I would seek donor milk. If I was unable to get donor milk, and formula was my last and only option, I would absolutely want to know the risks of something that I was putting into my childs body. Formula *is* inferior, that is a fact. It's ranked #4 on the WHO's list of what to feed your baby for a reason, because it *does* pose many risks to baby. Sugar coating these potentially serious risks for the sake of not hurting others feelings is just wrong. Should there be no warning labels or risks listed on medications?

Quoting Nolanzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM
If you HAVE to use formula there is nothing to feel guilty about, but if you are using it for selfish reasons and feel guilty when ever breastfeeding is brought up well that is your own fault.
Mother should know how bad formula is for their babies not just blindly use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Love it! I would love to see stronger warnings on formula. If it causes a new mom to stop and think, that's a good thing. Not all new moms have a helpful nurse in the hospital, or a support system.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

And a labelled breast, per your request. ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM
That's what your doctors for when you're pregnant. They should make it so they tell them about risks...Not a can that can't answer questions.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I absolutely agree that the risks should be listed. Wouldn't you want to know all the benefits and/or risks of something so you can make an informed choice?? Formula has it's place and thank goodness it exists for those who have no other options, but it's ranked #4 on the WHO's list for a reason, and not enough people are aware of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Isay leave it alone. They should have doctors and more tell about the risks and not a can. More helpful hhearing it from a live person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

That's just it the though...the vast majority of doctors are not breastfeeding friendly or knowledgeable and few do give a risk/benefit assessment of formula. Maybe we need mandated continuing education for pediatricians and obstetricians so they can be more supportive and informative to their patients.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Isay leave it alone. They should have doctors and more tell about the risks and not a can. More helpful hhearing it from a live person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)