Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you feel about poly vi sol?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 46 Replies
I took my 15 month old son to his 15 month check up yesterday. My pediatrician asked if I was giving him his vitamins and fluoride. I said "yes", but the truth is I have never filled the script.
Is it really that important to have it? He is a really healthy eater. He loves broccoli, spinach, avocado, and a variety of fruits and veggies. He still nurses about 3 times a day. I don't give him cows milk because of a couple reasons. I hate the smell and taste of cows milk. He has the worst, sour smelling poops when he has cows milk. We have coconut and almond milk in the house.
I'm really curious what you all think.
His weight is 19 pounds 7 ounces.
His height is 19.7 inches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

My doc doesn't recommend the stuff.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

It is my understanding that based on current research they no longer suggest oral flouride supplements.

You don't need to give poly-vi-sol.

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM
His height is 29 and a half inches. Oops
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a NICU nurse say that she had to revive a baby after it stopped breathing on the stuff. This was after my son projectile vomited that nasty green stuff across the room.

Breastmilk has all your baby needs. Btw fluoride blocks the absorption of iodine (which we need for thyroid function) so don't stress about your child getting enough fluoride. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not give vitamins to be breastfed children. I believe they are getting all they need from my milk. I do give some vitamins to my older children that are weaned but not regularly and honestly the best way to get those vitamins and minerals is from the actual food source. The body doesnt process vitamins etc as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM
4 moms liked this

Poly vi sol is evil...and its NOT made for BF babies

melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting maggiemom2000:

It is my understanding that based on current research they no longer suggest oral flouride supplements.

You don't need to give poly-vi-sol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I gave it to my daughter, and I swear!! It caused issues. She was always constipated, had severe reflux and low appetite, plus it stained her teeth. Once I took her off of it she gained weight well, I was able to take her off reflux meds, and she was a happier kid. Please avoid that stuff.
mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest's ped had succeded in talking me into them. He HATED them and only got them a handful of times. The ped we had when my youngest was bf kept trying to push the vitamins and would be frustrated when I refused. I finally just let him write a script and threw it away.

This baby I plan on refusing the vitamins again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juliet8826
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't give it to my daughter and I don't think that I will. We decided not to do fluoride either based on the research I read. Mommy milk IS whole milk so if you're still breastfeeding then there is no reason to give cows milk. I would be honest with your pediatrician or find one that you're more comfortable with though. No reason to lie. You have a lot of research backing your decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN