Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you feel about poly vi sol?

Posted by   + Show Post
I took my 15 month old son to his 15 month check up yesterday. My pediatrician asked if I was giving him his vitamins and fluoride. I said "yes", but the truth is I have never filled the script.
Is it really that important to have it? He is a really healthy eater. He loves broccoli, spinach, avocado, and a variety of fruits and veggies. He still nurses about 3 times a day. I don't give him cows milk because of a couple reasons. I hate the smell and taste of cows milk. He has the worst, sour smelling poops when he has cows milk. We have coconut and almond milk in the house.
I'm really curious what you all think.
His weight is 19 pounds 7 ounces.
His height is 19.7 inches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
chelseamcnorman
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I think the fact that you're apprehensive of fluoride is a sign that your motherly instincts are in proper operating condition, haha. 

Seriously, though, that crap is dangerous. If I were you, I'd also be wary of public tap water since fluoride is added to it in large amounts. Here's a good source to check out:

http://www.naturalnews.com/030123_fluoride_babies.html

Sarahsarah518
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Our former pediatrician told us to get te over the counter poly vi sol. When I looked at it it was made by enfamil. Um.... Why would I use a formula company's vitamins for my breastfed baby. Just didn't seem right to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Thank you, I'm glad that your doctor feels that way. It makes me feel better

Quoting gdiamante:

My doc doesn't recommend the stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Juliet8826:

I don't give it to my daughter and I don't think that I will. We decided not to do fluoride either based on the research I read. Mommy milk IS whole milk so if you're still breastfeeding then there is no reason to give cows milk. I would be honest with your pediatrician or find one that you're more comfortable with though. No reason to lie. You have a lot of research backing your decisions.

yes, agreed!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We have well water, so no flouride here :)
I had read about how flouride is a neurotoxin, and that is what really made me not to give this stuff.

Quoting chelseamcnorman:

I think the fact that you're apprehensive of fluoride is a sign that your motherly instincts are in proper operating condition, haha. 

Seriously, though, that crap is dangerous. If I were you, I'd also be wary of public tap water since fluoride is added to it in large amounts. Here's a good source to check out:

http://www.naturalnews.com/030123_fluoride_babies.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM
I didn't know that about flouride blocking iodine. Thank you for sharing that.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I had a NICU nurse say that she had to revive a baby after it stopped breathing on the stuff. This was after my son projectile vomited that nasty green stuff across the room.

Breastmilk has all your baby needs. Btw fluoride blocks the absorption of iodine (which we need for thyroid function) so don't stress about your child getting enough fluoride. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM
That's what I understand, that we absorb nutrients better from food than artificial sources. If he is a good veggie and fruit eater, plus nursing, why does he need vitamins? I don't get that.

Quoting Precious333:

I do not give vitamins to be breastfed children. I believe they are getting all they need from my milk. I do give some vitamins to my older children that are weaned but not regularly and honestly the best way to get those vitamins and minerals is from the actual food source. The body doesnt process vitamins etc as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM
It took me finding out the hard way by doing research after having thyroid problems.

Quoting hapababies:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

I had a NICU nurse say that she had to revive a baby after it stopped breathing on the stuff. This was after my son projectile vomited that nasty green stuff across the room.

Breastmilk has all your baby needs. Btw fluoride blocks the absorption of iodine (which we need for thyroid function) so don't stress about your child getting enough fluoride. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023: Poly vi sol is evil...and its NOT made for BF babies.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

plus, there is natural flouride in fruit. I bet its the perfect amount :)

Quoting Hottubgodess:

It took me finding out the hard way by doing research after having thyroid problems.

Quoting hapababies:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)