Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you feel about poly vi sol?

Posted by   + Show Post
I took my 15 month old son to his 15 month check up yesterday. My pediatrician asked if I was giving him his vitamins and fluoride. I said "yes", but the truth is I have never filled the script.
Is it really that important to have it? He is a really healthy eater. He loves broccoli, spinach, avocado, and a variety of fruits and veggies. He still nurses about 3 times a day. I don't give him cows milk because of a couple reasons. I hate the smell and taste of cows milk. He has the worst, sour smelling poops when he has cows milk. We have coconut and almond milk in the house.
I'm really curious what you all think.
His weight is 19 pounds 7 ounces.
His height is 19.7 inches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Mine is little. He is in the 11th percentile. My other son was like that also, so I'm not too worried yet.

Quoting Lilmommaxo:

My 10 month old son is 29 1/2 inches too... Gah my son is way tall.

Quoting hapababies:

His height is 29 and a half inches. Oops

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

How do I feel about Poly-Vi-Sol?

At best, useless. At worst, harmful.

Unless a baby is diagnosed with a vitamin deficiency, it is giving them something that they do not need and that can possibly cause problems. The only part of Poly-vi-sol that is not present in "sufficient" amounts in breastmilk is vitamin D. Vitamin D is NOT a vitamin, it is something that the body is supposed to synthesize in response to sunlight. http://nurshable.com/2012/05/04/is-breastmilk-deficient-in-vitamin-d/ when necessary the baby can take D drops. This does not mean that baby needs A, C, E, or more iron. Giving a breastfed baby synthetic iron can cause a whole long list of problems including anemia- which the iron is supposed to prevent.

When you throw fluoride into the mix you're getting into some really muddy waters. 34 out of 40 studies of fluoride exposure show that an elevated exposure is associated with a reduced IQ. Studies showing dental benefit are for TOPICAL fluoride such as fluoridated toothpaste and mouthwash which are meant to be spit out rather than swallowed. Giving a child fluoride can cause severe dental problems that may not have otherwise existed.

My kids get vitamin D when they do not get enough sun. When they are picky eaters they get a kids vitamin, fish oil capsules and probiotics. But a breastfed baby is not a picky eater and doesn't need vitamins because breastmilk is the most bioavailable source of everything that baby needs from their diet. Exposing them to high concentrations of synthetic vitamins simply reduces their ability to make use of what they really need.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

clasater
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
We don't do fluoride in this house. And I have never given extra vitamins to any of my bf babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I need to research vitamin d more. Last winter I gave him the vitamin that the doctor ordered that had vitamin d in it sporadically. But since we had such a nice winter, I was able to expose him to the sun regularly. I live in Pa, so i need to start thinking now how to get vitamin d in my boys if we have a typical winter.

Quoting Gruntlings:

How do I feel about Poly-Vi-Sol?

At best, useless. At worst, harmful.

Unless a baby is diagnosed with a vitamin deficiency, it is giving them something that they do not need and that can possibly cause problems. The only part of Poly-vi-sol that is not present in "sufficient" amounts in breastmilk is vitamin D. Vitamin D is NOT a vitamin, it is something that the body is supposed to synthesize in response to sunlight. http://nurshable.com/2012/05/04/is-breastmilk-deficient-in-vitamin-d/ when necessary the baby can take D drops. This does not mean that baby needs A, C, E, or more iron. Giving a breastfed baby synthetic iron can cause a whole long list of problems including anemia- which the iron is supposed to prevent.

When you throw fluoride into the mix you're getting into some really muddy waters. 34 out of 40 studies of fluoride exposure show that an elevated exposure is associated with a reduced IQ. Studies showing dental benefit are for TOPICAL fluoride such as fluoridated toothpaste and mouthwash which are meant to be spit out rather than swallowed. Giving a child fluoride can cause severe dental problems that may not have otherwise existed.

My kids get vitamin D when they do not get enough sun. When they are picky eaters they get a kids vitamin, fish oil capsules and probiotics. But a breastfed baby is not a picky eater and doesn't need vitamins because breastmilk is the most bioavailable source of everything that baby needs from their diet. Exposing them to high concentrations of synthetic vitamins simply reduces their ability to make use of what they really need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Quoting MonicaV1982:

Do you have a link for where you found this at? I would like to bookmark this for future reference.
PlaysAllDay
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
There is no need for poly vi so or any supplement unless there is an issue that can't be fixed by diet. My daughter was born anemic and then turned out to be a terrible eater so we did give her an iron supplement, this may be wrong it's been many years, I think it was ferrosol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM
That makes total sense to me why your daughter needed supplements.

Quoting PlaysAllDay:

There is no need for poly vi so or any supplement unless there is an issue that can't be fixed by diet. My daughter was born anemic and then turned out to be a terrible eater so we did give her an iron supplement, this may be wrong it's been many years, I think it was ferrosol?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

my children do not take it

My baby isa month old so we arent there yet

however,my six and three year old are and have never had a drop of flouride in their mouth- their toothpaste has flouride in it and I hate it- I want to get them some natural toothpaste just havent yet

Flouride is not a good thing- why would I give it to my kids intentionally?

WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

wanted to add that this baby will not get additional vitamins when the time comes. I will just make sure she gets plenty of sunlight

brittanyx22
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM
It is VILE. It made my DD so bloated that I pushed on her belly and she farted. I give Carlsons vitamin D and a perscription iron supplement. I am anemic and is she.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)