Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mini pill question, baby weight gain/fussiness

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM
  • 20 Replies

I've been taking the mini-pill for 5 days now. Before taking it, I had an oversupply that I was regulating with block feeding and we were just about where we needed to be. It only took the baby (he'll be 8 weeks old on monday and went through a growth spurt right around 6 weeks) about 10 minutes to eat because it came out so fast but he was used to that and didn't have an issue. When he hadn't eaten in 2 hrs and I pumped, I could pump 2 or 3 oz per breast, last week. Yesterday, he started acting like he wasn't getting enough to eat and stayed on the breast for 30-45 minutes then would act hungry again half an hour later, and wasn't sleeping well. Today, he's basically been on the breast non-stop, literally for over an hour if I don't unlatch him myself, he's fussy and he isn't sleeping much. I gave him 3oz from the freezer stash and he finally seemed content and slept for a few hours. I tried pumping when i gave him that, and got literally like...10 drops of milk. Same with hand expressing, no real luck. He still has just enough wet diapers, but just barely and it's drastically less than it was before. Plus, he was gaining about 9oz a week or so, and he hasn't gained a single ounce in the last week (same scale etc). 

Sooo do I stop taking the pill now, and see if things go back to normal, or give it a few days and see if things adjust? Should I keep giving him milk from the freezer? Any suggestions for birth control methods? 

August 2012 Babies Group Mod - Melissa

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Stop the pill NOW.  You may be one of the few women whose supply is affected by progestin-only methods.  This means that all hormonal birth control is off the table for you.  Condoms, diapraghm, spermicide, natural family planning (the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a must-read!), or paraguard are all hormone-free options.

lillismom2012
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

THIS! I did a lot of research when I started taking the pill and it caused me to bleed practally non-stop and it can have an affect on your supply,  that is one of the very rare side affect.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Stop the pill NOW.  You may be one of the few women whose supply is affected by progestin-only methods.  This means that all hormonal birth control is off the table for you.  Condoms, diapraghm, spermicide, natural family planning (the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a must-read!), or paraguard are all hormone-free options.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

I agree, you gotta ditch the pill asap. You are partof the small percent of women who have a significant drop in milk supply on it, even though it is not "supposed to" affect supply.

Once you are off it supply should come right back.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

By the way... tomorrow is a nurse-in day for the two of you.  Snuggle in bed, spend the day on cafemom, facebook, and watching lifetime movies--baby on the boob allllllllllll day long.  Probably plan for the same thing on Friday, and maybe more nursing than usual through the weekend and then your supply will be back to normal.  No bottles.

fortunafelidae
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting K8wizzo:

I agree, you gotta ditch the pill asap. You are partof the small percent of women who have a significant drop in milk supply on it, even though it is not "supposed to" affect supply.

Should I supplement a few ounces from the freezer stash until it gets back to normal, or let him stay on the breast all day long/as long as he wants? Either is fine, he's the priority and I don't have anything to do that can't wait at least a few days. I was afraid giving him the bottle today would hurt the supply even more, but I didn't want him to get dehydrated and he won't sleep unless he's full. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I'd keep him on the breast all day long and watch diapers.  If his 24 hour count is below 6 for several days, supplement with 1 oz at a time to get it back up.  I don't suspect that it will be.  I don't think your supply has taken enough of a hit that he'll get dehydrated before it comes back up.

Quoting fortunafelidae:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Should I supplement a few ounces from the freezer stash until it gets back to normal, or let him stay on the breast all day long/as long as he wants? Either is fine, he's the priority and I don't have anything to do that can't wait at least a few days. I was afraid giving him the bottle today would hurt the supply even more, but I didn't want him to get dehydrated and he won't sleep unless he's full. 

fortunafelidae
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting K8wizzo:

By the way... tomorrow is a nurse-in day for the two of you.  Snuggle in bed, spend the day on cafemom, facebook, and watching lifetime movies--baby on the boob allllllllllll day long.  Probably plan for the same thing on Friday, and maybe more nursing than usual through the weekend and then your supply will be back to normal.  No bottles.

You answered before I asked lol. Thank you! We can do that. The rest of the world will wait. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM
I agree with this. Just nurse like crazy and your supply should rebound within a few days to the end of the weekend.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd keep him on the breast all day long and watch diapers.  If his 24 hour count is below 6 for several days, supplement with 1 oz at a time to get it back up.  I don't suspect that it will be.  I don't think your supply has taken enough of a hit that he'll get dehydrated before it comes back up.

Quoting fortunafelidae:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

so I had this problem before and the ladies on here all told me that I'm stressing out over nothing and that I should just relax and that the mini pill has nothing to do with it.

so.........i'm no help to you.

fortunafelidae
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you end up stopping the pill?

Quoting vinalex0581:

so I had this problem before and the ladies on here all told me that I'm stressing out over nothing and that I should just relax and that the mini pill has nothing to do with it.

so.........i'm no help to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)