Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

raw nipples and hurts to nurse!!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM
  • 31 Replies
When I was in the hospital they told me I was doing a great job. Now my nipples are cracked and pink, almost raw at the tip. It hurts when I nurse at times, especially on my left. I don't pump because I don't want her to get nipple confusion. I hand express sometimes and it makes me feel a little better . She is only a week old. Have any of you had this problem? What do you suggest i do about my nipple? It is red puffy and raw!! Please help!!
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mel0dy
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My nipples got really sore for the first 2 weeks while nursing. do you have any nipple creme? I found pumping helped my nipples alot, I didnt get DD the pumped milk I just put it in the freezer but I think pumping made all the blood rush to my nipples and it really helped for me. It made them hurt even wosr that night but they were pretty much better in the morning.

newbabystarr09
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Hand express some breast milk and rub it on your nipples..( let it air dry) You can also use Lansinoh cream on your nipples  you don't have to wash it off before baby nurses..Be sure when you shower/bathe don't use soap on your nipples when you wash your hair rinse immediately when shampoo runs down your breast.. Hang in there you nipples will get use to it and it will get better..For the first 2 to 3 weeks my nipples hurt like HELL then it just stopped 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Get the latch checked by an IBCLC and put your milk on the nipples and let them air dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:22 AM

BUMP!

alibrezzy154
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:26 AM

lanalion, run your breast under warm water and just keep nursing. that's all I did my nipples toughfend up after about a week or so. could also be from not nursing correctly and to fix that just football hold him and nurse him that way for a while.

mom2boyz8811
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:27 AM
I would try to see an LC. The same thing happened to me. I had to work on correcting his latch because it was too shallow. Good luck!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Get the latch checked by an IBCLC and put your milk on the nipples and let them air dry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Try the soothie pads by lanolin, put them in fridge to make them cold before putting them on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christababy
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Gel pads were a nipple saver for me. Also lanolin. I hired an LC to check my LOs latch because I started bleeding.

Quoting kblpooh:

Try the soothie pads by lanolin, put them in fridge to make them cold before putting them on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TakeTwo
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Agree with the above comments. See an LC and have the latch checked. Also, has baby been checked for lip and/or tongue tie? My daughter had both and needed a revision in order to latch correctly. My nipples were so abraded and looked like a tube of lipstick because her latch was shallow and her tongue could not lift properly. Good luck, it does get better!
Rlambert6002
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I had that problem but with cracking too.  It was only on one side so I pumped. Like another poster mentioned I didn't give dd that milk in a bottle I just froze it. After 3 days of pumping I was feeling much better and in that 3 days dd's latch improved as well (she had a shallow latch and was bad about pulling back even after a deep latch)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)