Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

raw nipples and hurts to nurse!!

Posted by   + Show Post
When I was in the hospital they told me I was doing a great job. Now my nipples are cracked and pink, almost raw at the tip. It hurts when I nurse at times, especially on my left. I don't pump because I don't want her to get nipple confusion. I hand express sometimes and it makes me feel a little better . She is only a week old. Have any of you had this problem? What do you suggest i do about my nipple? It is red puffy and raw!! Please help!!
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
bpryce
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Lanisoh soothing gel pads, you wear them in between nursings. Keep in mind (especially if you know your baby is latched properly) our nipples have to adjust to nursing, they need to "toughen" up a bit. Keep nursing momma, it will get better very soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Ah, welcome to reality! This is the part where you find out that lots of things you've been told about breastfeeding (like, that it doesn't hurt if you're doing it correctly) are blatant lies. The truth is, many women take weeks, and even months to "toughen up" the nipples. Some women claim the creams and what-not help, but that was never my experience. The next step is that they will usually start to bleed and crack. Try not let it get to that point, because it can be very harmful to the breast.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Pain at the initial latch is normal. Constant pain and nipple damage are not normal. They are indications of an improper latch that needs to be fixed. It could be due to a tongue and/or lip tie.

Quoting jamamama00:

Ah, welcome to reality! This is the part where you find out that lots of things you've been told about breastfeeding (like, that it doesn't hurt if you're doing it correctly) are blatant lies. The truth is, many women take weeks, and even months to "toughen up" the nipples. Some women claim the creams and what-not help, but that was never my experience. The next step is that they will usually start to bleed and crack. Try not let it get to that point, because it can be very harmful to the breast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Women with soft/sensitive nipples take much longer to toughen up. It's a documented fact that women w/ fair skin are more prone to these issues. In fact, any farmer or rancher can tell you that it's normal in farm animals as well. Not all women have "leathery" nipples. The lactation world does not want to inform women of the truth about this, because they feel that it would discourage women from breastfeeding. As you can clearly see from the other posts on here, MANY women suffer from extremely painful nipples in the first stages of bf. I bf'd my last for ten months, so I can assure you it was not an issue w/ my latch or tongue tie. I also gave birth w/ no drugs at all, yet the pain of bf on a cracked nipple was ten times worse than natural childbirth. If lactivists want women to breastfeed for longer, they need to start telling the truth about the situation, instead of all of this "hearts and rainbows" jazz....

Quoting aehanrahan:

Pain at the initial latch is normal. Constant pain and nipple damage are not normal. They are indications of an improper latch that needs to be fixed. It could be due to a tongue and/or lip tie.

Quoting jamamama00:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I didn't say that there isn't ever pain. It can hurt in the beginning, but the pain should only be at the latch and go away. If it lasts through the feeding, something is wrong.

Quoting jamamama00:

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Women with soft/sensitive nipples take much longer to toughen up. It's a documented fact that women w/ fair skin are more prone to these issues. In fact, any farmer or rancher can tell you that it's normal in farm animals as well. Not all women have "leathery" nipples. The lactation world does not want to inform women of the truth about this, because they feel that it would discourage women from breastfeeding. As you can clearly see from the other posts on here, MANY women suffer from extremely painful nipples in the first stages of bf. I bf'd my last for ten months, so I can assure you it was not an issue w/ my latch or tongue tie. I also gave birth w/ no drugs at all, yet the pain of bf on a cracked nipple was ten times worse than natural childbirth. If lactivists want women to breastfeed for longer, they need to start telling the truth about the situation, instead of all of this "hearts and rainbows" jazz....

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting jamamama00:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever had a baby latched on to a bloody nipple with raw spots all over it and pieces of skin hanging off?

Quoting aehanrahan:

I didn't say that there isn't ever pain. It can hurt in the beginning, but the pain should only be at the latch and go away. If it lasts through the feeding, something is wrong.

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting jamamama00:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Quoting jamamama00:

Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Actually, she was correct in stating that pain throughout a feeding is NOT considered normal... no matter what your skin tone.

Women with soft/sensitive nipples take much longer to toughen up. It's a documented fact that women w/ fair skin are more prone to these issues.

Yes, that is true. What is a concern is pain that lasts through a feeding. Initial latch is expected to be painful and to remain that way for at least a week, often longer. 

In fact, any farmer or rancher can tell you that it's normal in farm animals as well. Not all women have "leathery" nipples. The lactation world does not want to inform women of the truth about this, because they feel that it would discourage women from breastfeeding.

Not really. One of the tenets is that it WILL hurt in the beginning. But what's considered normal is pain, even toe-curling pain, at initial latch and for the first minute. If it doesn't subside from toe-curling through the feeding, there's a deeper problem.

As you can clearly see from the other posts on here, MANY women suffer from extremely painful nipples in the first stages of bf. I bf'd my last for ten months, so I can assure you it was not an issue w/ my latch or tongue tie. I also gave birth w/ no drugs at all, yet the pain of bf on a cracked nipple was ten times worse than natural childbirth.

Oh, yes. And cracks are a sign of a problem with the latch. Yes, pain is COMMON. Common does not mean "normal."

If lactivists want women to breastfeed for longer, they need to start telling the truth about the situation, instead of all of this "hearts and rainbows" jazz....

No hearts and rainbows here! I hated breastfeeding the whole time I did it. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

YES. And got help because it WAS NOT NORMAL.

Quoting jamamama00:

Have you ever had a baby latched on to a bloody nipple with raw spots all over it and pieces of skin hanging off?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

To the OP. Give that side a rest. Hand express... don't even pump. Pumps are hard in the nipple.

Get to a lacation consultant for hands on help. While pain is normal, what you describe is NOT normal and indicates there is a latch issue on that side only. Not at all uncommon and no, it's not something you just live through. It can be fixed.

jamamama00
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

How can you insist it isn't "normal" when TONS of posts on here (this specific post, and others in general) say otherwise? Obv if a great deal of women experience this, it is "normal"

Quoting gdiamante:

YES. And got help because it WAS NOT NORMAL.

Quoting jamamama00:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN