Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Panic attacks!! Have been told I can take NOTHING! True?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi all,

I am currently nursing a 22 pound 9 month old DS and lately have been suffering panic attacks. I am a social worker and can recognize what to do and even spoke to a few colleagues but i can't sleep and my heart races often throughout the day. I called my doctor, who told me there was nothing I could take because I was nursing. This can't be true. I dont plan to take multiple pills a day. I really just need something at night (when it gets worse). And its not every night.. Is there anything that will work to calm the anxiety but not affect my baby?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (21-29):
Tillymommie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I guess like most things it can also depend on your own body. I personally never had an issue with it but I only have anxiety issues maybe a few times a week, so I don't take it that often. So I guess thats why I don's see signs of infant sedation really. My baby is very awake and alert.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:

I had to look on Kellymom to see what she said and Dr Hale's research says that benedryl shouldn't cause supply issues but is more of a concern with infant sedation and drowsiness. But I have always heard that benedryl can be used to dry up one's milk

Quoting Tillymommie:

I haven't had a problem with it. My milk supply is great.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.:

Benedryl dries up your milk?

Quoting Tillymommie:

Benadryl or vistril.. Thats what I was told by OBYN when I was having them during pregnancy and was told I could continue taking them while BF.

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? ~The Crow

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM
You defiantly can. I know I was going to go on Paxil at one point.

Quoting njmommy75:

Well...yes. Im actually a therapist. Working through these things is what helps in the long run...I have a therapist, and work with them as well. Panic Disorder can be treated with therapy, but until the physical symptoms have been dealt with, it is difficult to use "talk therapy" alone. This is in the beginning, of course. I don't plan to be on medication daily or permanently. And if there is nothing compatible with breastfeeding...I won't take anything.

Quoting Albond86:

Have you tried counseling? I have anxiety disorder and get panic attacks often when highly stressed, I used to be medicated but it only took the physical symptoms away and didnt deal with the real issue at hand. I got into counseling and have been medication free for 4 years! It's greatly helped me control the reason I was getting attacks in the first place. Sometimes drugs are not the answer. Just something to consider.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ameraznkimko
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hve you thought about trying essential oils? There are some essential oils that you can use while nursing that is safe...you can simply inhale them, diffuse them, or if needed just apply them to your skin.  Essential oils are alot safer that taking any medication and I have heard stories of people getting off anxiety medication from essential oils. Let me know if you want more information. I use them all the time and I am nursing my daughter.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM
I personally won't take anything Rx anymore, but I use Rescue Remedy and my placenta tincture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
njmommy75
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Yes! I would love essential oil info. I have been using thieves oil to boost immunity, but I know nothing else. Thanks!

Quoting ameraznkimko:

Hve you thought about trying essential oils? There are some essential oils that you can use while nursing that is safe...you can simply inhale them, diffuse them, or if needed just apply them to your skin.  Essential oils are alot safer that taking any medication and I have heard stories of people getting off anxiety medication from essential oils. Let me know if you want more information. I use them all the time and I am nursing my daughter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jshalas89
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:13 AM
I have them too and my dr said the same. I wouldn't risk any meds anyway but I just wanted to know if I had any options. I just tell myself it's going to end, give it time and try not to think about it. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM
I have an anxiety disorder and every so often I panic.... I'm afraid to take anything while nursing. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:22 AM
Dr. Thomas Hale. He is the foremost educated dr on breastfeeding interactions with medications at the infant risk center. The phone number is (806)-352-2519.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This. Try a b100 supplement once a day. Also rescue remedy is good for on the spot relief. Totally safe and have been around longer than the drugs

Quoting Precious333:

what about vitamin Bs?  I know that it helped me right after having my third, and I continue taking it because I get some similar symptoms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN