Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I love BFing, but....advice please.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM
  • 25 Replies
I feel like the rest of my life is falling apart around me.

It makes me feel awesome knowing I can feed my baby. She is my fifth child, and I have BF her the longest. She is only 6 weeks old... It seems though that I have to nurse her every 1.5-2 hrs, and she takes at least 30 mins to eat. Takes.forever to burp, and everything else is not getting done. I tried to baby wear her today to get things done, but I was just too worried about bumping her, or her not breathing correct... I don't know, I'm sure I sound selfish, but I have other children that need me too. A house that needs to be cleaned, errands to run.

How do you find the time? I can't handle the mess anymore.

Should it really take her 30 mins to an hour each time she eats?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I have 6 kids, 5 still at home as well my teenage sister staying with me. 4 of those kids are 4 and under. I homeschool my 16 year old daughter. We live in the country and have several animals. My husband works from 4 or 5 in the morning until 9 or 10 at night 6 days a week. So everything falls on me! My youngest is 8 months old and he spends a big chunk of the day in the sling or nothing would get done. I formula fed my oldest and it was not that much less time consuming, especially if the formula is prepared correctly(IE: boiling the water and letting it cool before making the bottle). What your baby is doing is 100% normal. The first couple of months are constant growth spurts. They eat often and for a long time! But it won't stay this way forever! It will get better! Put baby in a wrap or sling and do what you need to do. Also if the older kids are old enough hand out chores! My 4 year old has chores and he loves it! Lots of women have nursed babies when they had other kids! It's nto always easy but really having older children and a new baby is never easy at the beginning! Hang in there momma! It will get better, promise! You can do it!  

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
She's doing exactly as expected. :)

Do you have a soft structured baby carrier, sling, or wrap??
Nursing hands free while you get stuff done made me a very happy mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeslc03
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Hearing and reading it will het better is probably the biggest reason I'm still nursing her. I'm determined to BF this baby till she is 18 months, or weans herself. It's so awesome that you juggle all that! :D

Quoting jjchick75:

I have 6 kids, 5 still at home as well my teenage sister staying with me. 4 of those kids are 4 and under. I homeschool my 16 year old daughter. We live in the country and have several animals. My husband works from 4 or 5 in the morning until 9 or 10 at night 6 days a week. So everything falls on me! My youngest is 8 months old and he spends a big chunk of the day in the sling or nothing would get done. I formula fed my oldest and it was not that much less time consuming, especially if the formula is prepared correctly(IE: boiling the water and letting it cool before making the bottle). What your baby is doing is 100% normal. The first couple of months are constant growth spurts. They eat often and for a long time! But it won't stay this way forever! It will get better! Put baby in a wrap or sling and do what you need to do. Also if the older kids are old enough hand out chores! My 4 year old has chores and he loves it! Lots of women have nursed babies when they had other kids! It's nto always easy but really having older children and a new baby is never easy at the beginning! Hang in there momma! It will get better, promise! You can do it!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeslc03
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM
I have a Moby. I have.not figured out how to nurse in a chair hands free!.I'm not even.sure where to begin nursing her in a wrap. Do you know where I can get that info?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM
My favorite, most helpful thing to do was YouTube it.
Type in "nursing newborn in a moby" and watch what comes up. I have a hard time doing something if I didn't see it so that helped me a lot.

Quoting jeslc03:

I have a Moby. I have.not figured out how to nurse in a chair hands free!.I'm not even.sure where to begin nursing her in a wrap. Do you know where I can get that info?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeslc03
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

My favorite, most helpful thing to do was YouTube it.

Type in "nursing newborn in a moby" and watch what comes up. I have a hard time doing something if I didn't see it so that helped me a lot.

Quoting jeslc03:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Im going through the same thing as you. he eats as frequently and as long..I havent gotten a sling or anything for baby wearing but Its hard to find time to do anything and its making me feel crazy. The house is a mess and so much stuff needs to get done and I feel like I can never get any of it started! 

jeslc03
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM
:( It's so very frustrating. I know people always say, "Oh, she just had a baby." But I feel like I should be able to at least have clean dishes to eat off of.... I know you're a ftm, but tuis isn't my first baby. I thought I would be able to balance it all...I just can't. I guess I need to decide what's most important. :/

Quoting Jujubee12:

Im going through the same thing as you. he eats as frequently and as long..I havent gotten a sling or anything for baby wearing but Its hard to find time to do anything and its making me feel crazy. The house is a mess and so much stuff needs to get done and I feel like I can never get any of it started! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I know what you mean. I imagine though that its even more impossible to get anything done if you have more than one kid to look after. You are juggling a lot!

Quoting jeslc03:

:( It's so very frustrating. I know people always say, "Oh, she just had a baby." But I feel like I should be able to at least have clean dishes to eat off of.... I know you're a ftm, but tuis isn't my first baby. I thought I would be able to balance it all...I just can't. I guess I need to decide what's most important. :/

Quoting Jujubee12:

MJones23
by Meghan on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

It can be HARD in those first weeks/months. Reeeeally hard. My daughter is 5.5 months old (EBF since birth) and it's so much easier now than it was at 6 weeks! I promise! On top of how challenging it already is, DD was diagnosed with GERD (severe reflux) @ 5 weeks and her feedings were every 45 minutes for awhile there. It was challenging!

PS: If I ever get down about it, I remind myself that my other option is even more time-consuming: making & cleaning bottles! ;)

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN