Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk Storage?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 23 Replies

I was trying to find my answer on KellyMom, but didn't see anything. So, when I want to freeze my milk, I have bags to put it in. However, those go up to 6 oz. and I just pumped 1.5. What should I do? Just refrigerate until the bag is full? I don't think it sounds right to freeze and add as I go. But, I also don't want to waste 4.5 oz. of a bag, especially when DD will eat 3-4 oz at one time. Help!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustFox
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I'm not sure... But why is DH having any of it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarlettsmom823
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, omg! I meant DD. It would be really hard for me to store any milk if they were both drinking it.

Quoting JustFox:

JustFox
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I figured it was something like that. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything just funny. I'm actually wondering the same thing

Quoting scarlettsmom823:

Lol, omg! I meant DD. It would be really hard for me to store any milk if they were both drinking it.

Quoting JustFox:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM
I always store 3 oz or under at a time. 3 oz is a full meal and thawing out more than that can be wasteful of your hard work pumping.

You can leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hrs before freezing, iirc. I have never left it over 8 hrs before freezing personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I put mine in ice cube trays...freeze...then transfer to a large freezer bag.
Also, fresh milk is good in the fridge for 5-7 days. So you may not need to freeze as much as you think?
And are you familiar with 1-1.25 oz per hour rule?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
What I did was store in the fridge during the week and anything left was frozen on Friday. I usually froze in 4 oz sections because DD only ever got frozen on Monday's and I would just give 2ozs frozen and 1oz fresh (once they were the same temp). This way she always got at least a tiny bit fresh when she had to have frozen. Plus this way when winter came and my dad had the kids on Saturdays while I was at work he could take 5 bags and keep them
In his freezer so if I couldn't go pick them up over night because of the weather I knew she had enough milk to get they the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Mine was stored in two and ounce ounce portions.. never more than two ounces per portion.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

1stpreggers
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I use milk storage bottles they hold 2oz they make bottle freezing easier you can reheat in bottle & attach a nipple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarlettsmom823
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Well, I would prefer to store 3 oz. at a time, as opposed to 1 1/2. But, I read that you can refrigerate up to 3-8 days.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I always store 3 oz or under at a time. 3 oz is a full meal and thawing out more than that can be wasteful of your hard work pumping.

You can leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hrs before freezing, iirc. I have never left it over 8 hrs before freezing personally.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM
You can but you can only mix milk from the same day. I, personally, wouldn't refrigerate longer than 5.

Quoting scarlettsmom823:

Well, I would prefer to store 3 oz. at a time, as opposed to 1 1/2. But, I read that you can refrigerate up to 3-8 days.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)