Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Think I Know the Answer But Correct Me If I'm Wrong

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm 9, almost 10wks pregnant with baby #2. Our dd will be 3 in January and she still nurses, but only in the mornings. And if I'm being honest, half the reason she still nurses in the morning is because it affords me an extra 30min or so of sleep. Occasionally she'll ask for it after she's woken up too early from her nap, and I lay down and nurse and nap with her.

I've had a couple people ask me how I plan to stop before the second trimester so the nipple stimulation doesn't cause problems. I never know how to answer that, these people never nursed and trust what their dr's say about it. And no I'm starting to wonder if I should stop soon.

I've read so many moms on here say you don't have to stop but I feel like I'm still going for purely selfish reasons and I don't even know if she's getting milk anymore. I just want to do right by BOTH kids. I don't want to stop dd before she's ready. I don't know if I have it in me to tandem nurse either. I'm just getting nervous and need some educated answers before y dr's appt on Tuesday, should this come up.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Breastfeeding throughout pregnancy isn't a problem.
if she didnt want to nurse she wouldn't.
Just smile and nod at the naysayers. Shes technically began the weaning process the day she started solids so you could say we're in the process of weaning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gavin423
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

From what I've read, unless you have a history of preterm labor, there are no worries. I'm 35 1/2 weeks with #3 right now and I still nurse DD1 anywhere from 7-10 times in a 24 hour period, sometimes more. I've had no issue with contractions or anything. My OB even told me he was fine with it as long as no issues arose.

Your DD may end up weaning herself if your milk dries or when it changes. It sounds like that's quite common and I was really surprised my DD didn't do it. But unless she changes her tune in the next 3 1/2 weeks, I'll be tandem nursing.

TTC2Long
by Gina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
The receptors in the outer lining of the uterus that will be affected by the oxytocin released by bf are actually blocked by the uterus until baby is ready to be born. That's why women can continue nursing with no preterm labor and that's why nipple stimulation during or to influence the beginning of labor is effective. If baby isn't ready to come, nothing will happen or you may have small, unproductive contractions that stop when the nursing session is over. Our bodies are pretty neat, huh? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM
I wouldn't think it would cause problems during the pregnancy. I mean if that's the case then I would think intimacy with dh would cause issues too ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM
You're right, you don't have to quit now or in the second or third trimester, unless you have a history of preterm contractions. If you aren't forbidden from having sex, than Breastfeeding, especially just once a day, is also fairly benign. I suspect your dd will just slowly lose interest as your milk turns back to colostrum, and she may of may not want to nurse when the baby comes. My dd turned 3 in August and hasn't nursed in 3 days (we were just once at bedtime). You are not being selfish by nursing her and getting that extra bit of sleep! In fact, if it weren't for that small bonus for you, you might have cut her off a year ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
This is awesome information. And our bodies are awesome. This is why I love love loved my A and P classes when I was pre nursing school.

Quoting TTC2Long:

The receptors in the outer lining of the uterus that will be affected by the oxytocin released by bf are actually blocked by the uterus until baby is ready to be born. That's why women can continue nursing with no preterm labor and that's why nipple stimulation during or to influence the beginning of labor is effective. If baby isn't ready to come, nothing will happen or you may have small, unproductive contractions that stop when the nursing session is over. Our bodies are pretty neat, huh? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

If it works ut nicely for both of you, you dont' have to stop.

Also, it is perfectly safe to continue nursing while pregnant. Some people are worried because it can stimulate contractions.....but so an sex and so can orgasms, so unless you are high risk, you do not have to quite nursing. I always recommend this book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" It will explain this better, and of course it uncludes a wealth of information beyond that.

KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks ladies, I knew I was over thinking this. I don't know why I expected anything less than questioning from people who didn't support me period. I think I'm just nervous for the new baby and all the breas feeding challeges that might present so I'm anxious to know if I need to do something differently now, if that makes sense.

Not to mention I HATE how people PRAISED MY DAUGHTER when she stopped getting it before bed saying she's 'finally a big girl' so I feel a lot of pressure to quit....and have for like 2 years. Makes me constantly question wether I'm still doing the right thing or not.

KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Pretty freaking amazing if you ask me!! I can never get enough of reading how the baby is developing and what my body is doing during pregnancy....fascinating!!

Quoting TTC2Long:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I nursed my son til 6 months after my next child was born..I only delivered 2 days before my duedate, he was my latest baby...nursing caused me no issues.

If you are not high risk nurse away

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)