Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning help; stuck on a fly strip...lol

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter is 5 months old, and set in her ways. I need to wean her from the breast and onto a bottle of formula because I am currently taking narcotics for pain control because I have severe arthritis in my lower back. Right now, I am on low doses of narcotics because I am breastfeeding, but I am going back to work on the 29th of this month, and I will need more frequent and stronger doses of narcotics just to be able to work 8 hours a day.

Since my daughter was 3 months old, my husband and I had tried to introduce her to a bottle (no formula, just breastmilk), and she flat out refused. She hates pacifiers as well, so I know that it is because it feels nothing like momma's nipple. After many, many attempts, we gave up for the time being because everything anyone had suggested to us was not working, and weaning was not that important at that time.

It is very important that she become weaned before I go back to work so that my husband is not dealing with a screaming baby on a constant basis. I am no longer trying to wean with breastmilk because that will defeat the whole purpose of me weaning her in the first place. Here is what we have tried so far:

We have tried waiting until she was very hungry (early in the morning, or in the middle of the night), and she will turn purple crying for breastmilk, and will refuse to drink the bottle.

We have tried putting it into a sippy cup, and she loves the sippy cup because it's interesting, but she WILL NOT drink the formula. She will drink breastmilk from it though.

I have tried mixing my breastmilk with formula in both equal and unequal ratios (like my doctor suggested), but she just won't have it.

We have tried different brands of formula because I know different brands taste different (I know because I have tasted them), but no matter what kind of formula we use, she still will not drink it.

I am not sure what else to do short of adding some strawberry milk mix to the formula, but I know that is not safe. I am out of ideas, and everything I have tried has failed. I am running out of time, and I am not so sure what to do at this point.

I would love to hear from any parents that were successful in weaning their child from the breast to a bottle of formula, and any suggestions any of you might have. I am willing to try almost anything.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting arctikchild:

My daughter is 5 months old, and set in her ways. I need to wean her from the breast and onto a bottle of formula because I am currently taking narcotics for pain control because I have severe arthritis in my lower back. Right now, I am on low doses of narcotics because I am breastfeeding, but I am going back to work on the 29th of this month, and I will need more frequent and stronger doses of narcotics just to be able to work 8 hours a day.

Most meds are safe while nursing. Which narcotics, and have you looked them up on the lact med database? Google it OR look up the Infant Risk Hotline. DO NOT believe the package insert OR your doc... those are generally both dead wrong.

Since my daughter was 3 months old, my husband and I had tried to introduce her to a bottle (no formula, just breastmilk), and she flat out refused. She hates pacifiers as well, so I know that it is because it feels nothing like momma's nipple. After many, many attempts, we gave up for the time being because everything anyone had suggested to us was not working, and weaning was not that important at that time.

It is very important that she become weaned before I go back to work so that my husband is not dealing with a screaming baby on a constant basis. I am no longer trying to wean with breastmilk because that will defeat the whole purpose of me weaning her in the first place. Here is what we have tried so far:

We have tried waiting until she was very hungry (early in the morning, or in the middle of the night), and she will turn purple crying for breastmilk, and will refuse to drink the bottle.

Are you in the room? It will fail if you're present.

We have tried putting it into a sippy cup, and she loves the sippy cup because it's interesting, but she WILL NOT drink the formula. She will drink breastmilk from it though.

Smart girl. Formula tastes awful.

I have tried mixing my breastmilk with formula in both equal and unequal ratios (like my doctor suggested), but she just won't have it.

We have tried different brands of formula because I know different brands taste different (I know because I have tasted them), but no matter what kind of formula we use, she still will not drink it.

I am not sure what else to do short of adding some strawberry milk mix to the formula, but I know that is not safe. I am out of ideas, and everything I have tried has failed. I am running out of time, and I am not so sure what to do at this point.

I would love to hear from any parents that were successful in weaning their child from the breast to a bottle of formula, and any suggestions any of you might have. I am willing to try almost anything.

More than likely you're putting yourself through an unneeded trial. There are VERY few meds that are unsafe. Analgesic narcotics ARE safe unless you're taking so much that YOU are unable to function yourself. The real risk to them is becoming dependent upon them. That happened to my husband after his motorcycle accident. He's on permanent painkillers, Fentanyl patch and Norco. (Both OK for nursing, not that it matters for him!)

alreadydidthis
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
You are in the wrong group to ask this questiion.lol. I have no idea my forst efb was easy this one is hard as rocks so if u find away let me know..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

How ar you trying to wean? Drop ONE feeding per week till gone., No faster. If you go faster, then you'll be hard as rocks.Quoting alreadydidthis:

You are in the wrong group to ask this questiion.lol. I have no idea my forst efb was easy this one is hard as rocks so if u find away let me know..

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I am almost certain that one of our other moderators has been on narcotic pain relievers for years because of a severe back problem. Hope she pops in with her story.

*** If you found out that the pain medication was indeed compatible with breastfeeding, do you still wish to wean or would you want to continue breastfeeding? No one will hold it against you if you make the decision to switch to formula for whatever reasons you choose, but we will help fight for you if you are being misled with inaccurate information and do want to continue breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arctikchild
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Right now, I am taking 2 5/325 tablets of Percocet per day which is safe for breastfeeding, but I am in so much pain it barley works (I still only take my meds as directed)

My spine doc wants to up me to 10MG tablets when I start to work, which I can take 1 to 4 per day. That is a much higher dose than I currently take, and I will need it because the work I will be doing is of a physical nature. My doc will not perscribe that much to me unless I am no longer breastfeeding.

We have tried feeding her even just a little bit of a bottle to try and get the ball rolling, but she absolutley refuses. We are trying to get her on just one bottle for the moment. Even when I leave the house and someone else takes over trying to feed her, she still refuses and cries herself to sleep. My question is...is it cruel to starve her until she takes a bottle? Thats what my mom does, but she still won't take it.

Formula does taste terrible, and someone in another post on a different site suggested a carnation milk, water and sugar mix. I was wondering what you ladies thought about that.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM
You need to give her breastmilk or formula and nothing else. You could look into donor milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Quoting arctikchild:

Right now, I am taking 2 5/325 tablets of Percocet per day which is safe for breastfeeding, but I am in so much pain it barley works (I still only take my meds as directed) 

My spine doc wants to up me to 10MG tablets when I start to work, which I can take 1 to 4 per day. That is a much higher dose than I currently take, and I will need it because the work I will be doing is of a physical nature. My doc will not perscribe that much to me unless I am no longer breastfeeding.

We have tried feeding her even just a little bit of a bottle to try and get the ball rolling, but she absolutley refuses. We are trying to get her on just one bottle for the moment. Even when I leave the house and someone else takes over trying to feed her, she still refuses and cries herself to sleep. My question is...is it cruel to starve her until she takes a bottle? Thats what my mom does, but she still won't take it.

Formula does taste terrible, and someone in another post on a different site suggested a carnation milk, water and sugar mix. I was wondering what you ladies thought about that.  That's dangerous for your baby... it does not provide all of the nutrients that a growing baby needs, nor does it provide the correct balance of nutrients.  

Please call the Infant Risk Center, run by Dr. Hale.  They are THE experts on medication and breastfeeding.  Info below:

Each year, more than 4.3 million women give birth in the U.S.  Virtually all of these women will use at least one medication during pregnancy or during breastfeeding.  

The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies.  By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships. 

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Yes, call the infantrisk hotline. You will get the best information regarding the medication and breastfeeding from them. Dr. Hale is the leading authority in this area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
I never got the one feeding per week advice I just keep geting don't do it. I'm trying to give baby more solids

Quoting gdiamante:

How ar you trying to wean? Drop ONE feeding per week till gone., No faster. If you go faster, then you'll be hard as rocks.Quoting alreadydidthis:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swmmra
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

If she likes the sippy, but only with breast milk, why not pump and then let her drink out of the sippy. You are still weaning from the breast, but giving her the nutrition of breast milk. I think that is what I would do! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN