Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning help; stuck on a fly strip...lol

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is 5 months old, and set in her ways. I need to wean her from the breast and onto a bottle of formula because I am currently taking narcotics for pain control because I have severe arthritis in my lower back. Right now, I am on low doses of narcotics because I am breastfeeding, but I am going back to work on the 29th of this month, and I will need more frequent and stronger doses of narcotics just to be able to work 8 hours a day.

Since my daughter was 3 months old, my husband and I had tried to introduce her to a bottle (no formula, just breastmilk), and she flat out refused. She hates pacifiers as well, so I know that it is because it feels nothing like momma's nipple. After many, many attempts, we gave up for the time being because everything anyone had suggested to us was not working, and weaning was not that important at that time.

It is very important that she become weaned before I go back to work so that my husband is not dealing with a screaming baby on a constant basis. I am no longer trying to wean with breastmilk because that will defeat the whole purpose of me weaning her in the first place. Here is what we have tried so far:

We have tried waiting until she was very hungry (early in the morning, or in the middle of the night), and she will turn purple crying for breastmilk, and will refuse to drink the bottle.

We have tried putting it into a sippy cup, and she loves the sippy cup because it's interesting, but she WILL NOT drink the formula. She will drink breastmilk from it though.

I have tried mixing my breastmilk with formula in both equal and unequal ratios (like my doctor suggested), but she just won't have it.

We have tried different brands of formula because I know different brands taste different (I know because I have tasted them), but no matter what kind of formula we use, she still will not drink it.

I am not sure what else to do short of adding some strawberry milk mix to the formula, but I know that is not safe. I am out of ideas, and everything I have tried has failed. I am running out of time, and I am not so sure what to do at this point.

I would love to hear from any parents that were successful in weaning their child from the breast to a bottle of formula, and any suggestions any of you might have. I am willing to try almost anything.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Replies (11-12):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Nope.... replace one feeding per week with formula until baby is a year old, THEN you may increase solids and decrease milk.  Formula or breastmilk needs to be the mainstay of his/her diet until then.  When giving formula or expressed breastmilk, the rule is 24-30 oz per day.

Quoting alreadydidthis:

I never got the one feeding per week advice I just keep geting don't do it. I'm trying to give baby more solids

Quoting gdiamante:

How ar you trying to wean? Drop ONE feeding per week till gone., No faster. If you go faster, then you'll be hard as rocks.Quoting alreadydidthis:

You are in the wrong group to ask this questiion.lol. I have no idea my forst efb was easy this one is hard as rocks so if u find away let me know..

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Baby will take more solids when baby is good and ready. One of the things you unfortunately don't get to drive the bus on. She'll nurse less when she's ready to take more solids, but she won't take more solids just because you don't let her nurse as much. They're stubborn in that way!

(And the ways we parents don't get to drive the bus are legion!)

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw that baby is less than a year old... baby is supposed to take little in solids. Is there any particular concern you're trying to address by giving more solids? Up to the first birthday the diet is supposed to be mainly breastmilk OR formula. You can go to that if you want but solids don't go to the fore yet. She runs the risk of missing nutrients if that happens.

Quoting alreadydidthis:

I never got the one feeding per week advice I just keep geting don't do it. I'm trying to give baby more solids
Quoting gdiamante:

How ar you trying to wean? Drop ONE feeding per week till gone., No faster. If you go faster, then you'll be hard as rocks.Quoting alreadydidthis:

You are in the wrong group to ask this questiion.lol. I have no idea my forst efb was easy this one is hard as rocks so if u find away let me know..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)